Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New album release autumn  (Read 273325 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: New album release autumn
« Reply #735 on: August 31, 2018, 11:44:20 AM »
The solo from Song For Sonny Liston on this guitar at the 2011 tour was one of the most explosive and sharpest one I have heard of MK on any Live gig I attended. Totally electric and great. However I have the feeling this guitar and it's sound was not liked by many, especially not by MK himself. Pity.

LE

Wasn't BIA played with that guitar too? At least at the beguining... I only attended the Glasgow concert that was the second one and I think he played it with that blue LP too...

I was lucky to attend Oberhausen too back in 2011 so I got Why Aye Man as an Opener on which he played this guitar, too. It gives me some hope that Guy said that the new LP is used heavily on the new album.

LE

For any reason, Why Aye Man is a song that worked very well for me live, I love it, and yes you were lucky, I would had liked to listen to it that tour with that guitar instead of "What It Is" that had started to be boring to me during the previous tour, and was a kind of lazy opener choice...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #736 on: August 31, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
Funnily enough, WII from Glasgow 2011 is one of my favourites. It works pretty well as an Opener: first you get plenty of energetic MK style Strat licks, Rhythm and powerful sound, then, when the first emotional high of seeing him again has lowered, the band lowers also to that great break which then builds up again. It's like getting conscious again after the first extasy.  Phantastically done especially in Glasgow 2011.

LE
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 11:56:02 AM by Love Expresso »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #737 on: August 31, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »
A lot of Gibson Les Paul guitar could also mean a lot of bluesy tracks, which i dont like. (Dont forget your hat, hot or what, cant beat the house)

I know a lot of you do like these songs ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #738 on: August 31, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »
A lot of Gibson Les Paul guitar could also mean a lot of bluesy tracks, which i dont like. (Dont forget your hat, hot or what, cant beat the house)

I know a lot of you do like these songs ;)

When Privateering came out I didn't like any of the blues tracks and I always skipped them, but all of them had aged very well to me and when I put it in my car driving to work or back home, I doscover myself enjoying them quite a lot!

There is a very funny moment where I always laugh a lot in "Don't forget your hat", at the end, after some guitar licks, Mk says, "hey", and then a louder "HEY" and I always imagine the band fallin sleep during the end of the song and MK yelling that HEY to wake them and finish the song  :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #739 on: August 31, 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
Funnily enough, WII from Glasgow 2011 is one of my favourites. It works pretty well as an Opener: first you get plenty of energetic MK style Strat licks, Rhythm and powerful sound, then, when the first emotional high of seeing him again has lowered, the band lowers also to that great break which then builds up again. It's like getting conscious again after the first extasy.  Phantastically done especially in Glasgow 2011.

LE

You are right, it wasn't in that tour where I starting to dislike it, neither the GL tour, it was "Privateering" tour... from all the openers he had to choose,I considered it as a lazy choice for that tour and I didn't like it, not for the song itself but for not having chosed other opener...

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #740 on: August 31, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »
I have my hopes for Gibson tracks a la Darling Pretty, Are we in trouble now, wherever i go, so far from the clyde, remembrance day, submariner, Speedway...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #741 on: August 31, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
I have my hopes for Gibson tracks a la Darling Pretty, Are we in trouble now, wherever i go, so far from the clyde, remembrance day, submariner, Speedway...

That message by Guy, that he deleted after some minutes in his forum, that the new record has "something more" than Tracker made me think that we are going to have something more similar to the style of songs from Tracker than the ones you mention.

I truly hope I'm wrong  ;D

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #742 on: August 31, 2018, 12:10:40 PM »

That message by Guy, that he deleted after some minutes in his forum, that the new record has "something more" than Tracker made me think that we are going to have something more similar to the style of songs from Tracker than the ones you mention.

I truly hope I'm wrong  ;D

Tracker hardly had the Gibson sound i think. Wherever i go, Broken Bones maybe?, or Hot Dog and the end of Basil?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 12:33:58 PM by Dutchessy »

Love Expresso

« Reply #743 on: August 31, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
I interpreted that "something more" as deeper, more developed, more-layered... Not those spartanic stuff he partly did on Tracker. I know of course that it is sometimes very tricky to sound spartanic.
I would love to hear songs from the likes of 5:15 am, Sucker Row, Basil, Before Gas & TV, So Far From The Clyde, or even Beachcombing...

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #744 on: August 31, 2018, 12:16:12 PM »
I interpreted that "something more" as deeper, more developed, more-layered... Not those spartanic stuff he partly did on Tracker. I know of course that it is sometimes very tricky to sound spartanic.
I would love to hear songs from the likes of 5:15 am, Sucker Row, Basil, Before Gas & TV, So Far From The Clyde, or even Beachcombing...

LE

It gives me hope the comment Robbie McIntosh made in facebook to Danny Cummings when he got to British Grove to record some overdubs, I think Robbie told Danny something like "What great grooves by you and Ianto!"

It made me thought that at least there are some more uptempo songs...

And I DO really hope there is not so much noisy slide guitar as in Tracker...

Love Expresso

« Reply #745 on: August 31, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »
Indeed I agree about the slide guitar. To me it's just a replacement for Mark's fading guitar skills. I am no guitar player of course but it seems easier to play slide than doing what MK usually did with his fingers.

LE

Offlinejeffreyvr

• Local Hero
« Reply #746 on: August 31, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »
I still very much look forward to the new album. Sure, the waiting is horrible, but I have a feeling it's going to be good. I wouldn't mind some slide guitar, it didn't bother really on Tracker. I would like some more up tempo songs this time.
Hey, don't forget your hat.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #747 on: August 31, 2018, 02:32:14 PM »
I know I'll be outnumbered here and I hope Mark doesn't hear it but I don't like the original 1958 LP sound. I much prefer his previous LP, the one he used during the BIA era, and the blue one.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Love Expresso

« Reply #748 on: August 31, 2018, 03:51:19 PM »

It gives me hope the comment Robbie McIntosh made in facebook to Danny Cummings when he got to British Grove to record some overdubs, I think Robbie told Danny something like "What great grooves by you and Ianto!"

Wouldn't it be great to have Danny back in the live line-up, let it on percussion? Ianto on drums, less pipes, more groove!

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #749 on: August 31, 2018, 03:58:11 PM »

Wouldn't it be great to have Danny back in the live line-up, let it on percussion? Ianto on drums, less pipes, more groove!

LE

Where should I sign?

Damm it... The more we want it the less chances that it happens!!!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 43 queries.