Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New album release autumn  (Read 273344 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: New album release autumn
« Reply #1110 on: September 13, 2018, 01:20:56 PM »
"I hope it's today or tomorrow, that's my hope...

I repeat it every day several times ::)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1111 on: September 13, 2018, 01:48:04 PM »

Send an e-mail to Universal Poland, maybe you have more luck  ;D
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1112 on: September 13, 2018, 01:52:49 PM »

Send an e-mail to Universal Poland, maybe you have more luck  ;D

I sent it yesterday. I am waiting for a response
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #1113 on: September 13, 2018, 02:07:21 PM »
It's pretty obvious and understandable that Mark isn't the same guitar player he used to be, hasn't been for a long time now - and using less guitar effects doesn't make it any better.

I'd still attend any gig I got the chance to grab though, with no breaks. But that's obviously due to the fact that you guys are spoilt and I'm a poor south-american bastard, forgotten, put aside and abandoned by Mark. I'm overdramatic today, sorry  :lol

I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1114 on: September 13, 2018, 02:25:38 PM »
It's pretty obvious and understandable that Mark isn't the same guitar player he used to be, hasn't been for a long time now - and using less guitar effects doesn't make it any better.

I'd still attend any gig I got the chance to grab though, with no breaks. But that's obviously due to the fact that you guys are spoilt and I'm a poor south-american bastard, forgotten, put aside and abandoned by Mark. I'm overdramatic today, sorry  :lol

You draw a quite good self-portrait, LOL

Actually I don't demand MK being the rock and roll star he was, but to be more honest with himself. He's doing quite intimate and nice albums, but whenhe goes on tour, most of his solo songs are forgotten and keeps playing in the same big arenas or even bigger that when he played with Dire Straits... Being honest with his solo career, he would play in small theaters and sets like the one he played at the Boothbay concert, the most honest concert MK has done ever.

OfflineFriday Night

• Guitar George
« Reply #1115 on: September 13, 2018, 02:27:16 PM »
Tracker [...] It's the MK record that with time only went worse to me, while the usual is that Mk record grow better with time...

@jbaent, you repeated this opinion several times, it makes me smile every time I read this since Tracker is one of my favourite MK's achievements (DS included). The reception of compositions is obviously a question of personal taste, but what do you think about the production (the sound)? For me Tracker is the best sounding MK record ever and a proof that the BG project was/is a good idea. Another point are IT's drums, more exposed, it seems to me that MK has found a drummer he can rely on (sorry All Dear DC Fans here :wave). Quite an evolution from the "best drums/no drums" approach...
out on the tower, in a dying sun

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1116 on: September 13, 2018, 02:29:55 PM »
Tracker [...] It's the MK record that with time only went worse to me, while the usual is that Mk record grow better with time...

@jbaent, you repeated this opinion several times, it makes me smile every time I read this since Tracker is one of my favourite MK's achievements (DS included). The reception of compositions is obviously a question of personal taste, but what do you think about the production (the sound)? For me Tracker is the best sounding MK record ever and a proof that the BG project was/is a good idea. Another point are IT's drums, more exposed, it seems to me that MK has found a drummer he can rely on (sorry All Dear DC Fans here :wave). Quite an evolution from the "best drums/no drums" approach...

Fully agree, TRACKER sounds exceptionally good. First time I listened to it I was impressed, the drums, for example, sounded as Ianto was playing in front of me. Guy has learned quite well next to Chuck Ainlay.

Love Expresso

« Reply #1117 on: September 13, 2018, 02:33:07 PM »
Does it really sound better than KTGC or Get Lucky?i
I am honestly asking because I don't have the ears and no high end equipment to judge it. It sounds great of course, but these praises and prices it got I cannot fully understand. Any examples welcome.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1118 on: September 13, 2018, 02:37:29 PM »
Does it really sound better than KTGC or Get Lucky?i
I am honestly asking because I don't have the ears and no high end equipment to judge it. It sounds great of course, but these praises and prices it got I cannot fully understand. Any examples welcome.

LE

For me it sounds better than any other MK record. Maybe is because Chuck Ainlay wasn't there? I don't know ...

hunter

« Reply #1119 on: September 13, 2018, 03:07:36 PM »
Just realized now that Basil sounds very similar to Before Gas and TV, the latter being more Celtic sounding though. I have to say those songs, and Haul Away, are easily skipped. They are just too drawn out, and, frankly speaking, Mark's limits as a vocalist become very clear on these songs. He just doesn't have the power to carry them, as it were. Anyway. My opinion.

Edit: Just want to add that Mark's vocal limits are part of why I like him, but it doesn't mean I think his singing fits on all kinds of songs, even his own.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:15:25 PM by hunter »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1120 on: September 13, 2018, 03:14:52 PM »

I've always thought that OES sparkles on my system, in particular the percussion on songs like CE.  They're all good though; the first one has a lovely unpolished style to it that I love too for example.  The latest ones are faultless but is that boring?  Perhaps one could say due to that they have no character and so they are indeed not faultless...
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #1121 on: September 13, 2018, 03:15:08 PM »
The fact that it's an "album" is very important to me. When I listen to MK, I don't do anything else. It's not in the background of daily work or so. It's fully awareness of taking the time and listen to this or that album, and then in it's completeness. Eyes and doors and windows closed, ears wide opened.  :lol

LE

I SO agree with that. All the more surprising I found your disliking of Taormina. To me, this particular song doesn't just fit on the album perfectly, it stands out as it's actual highlight. One of my favourite songs not just by Mark, but by anybody. I understand your restraint re: Blood and Water or Wherever I go, but what the volcanic hell is wrong with Lights of Taormina?

Love Expresso

« Reply #1122 on: September 13, 2018, 03:24:43 PM »
Don't know actually why I don't like it  :lol

Maybe it's the "maybe in another life time" bridge, maybe it's the very bad fade-out. The guitar sounds good on it though. But yet another slide ....

What's good is that sometimes even after many years I re-discover songs and suddenly detect a new beauty in them which was overlooked first... maybe this will happen with Taormina some day ..  :wave

LE

OfflineFriday Night

• Guitar George
« Reply #1123 on: September 13, 2018, 03:39:04 PM »
Does it really sound better than KTGC or Get Lucky? (...) these praises and prices it got I cannot fully understand. Any examples welcome.
I believe MK has always paid great attention to how his albums will actually sound.
That being said, Tracker sounds to me similar to the DS records and could follow OES in terms of production, wheras some of his previous solo work sounded (more or less intentionally) experimental.
This is of course only my opinion based on my taste (grown up listening to DS over and over again) and the way my speaker system interferes with my sofa  ;)
out on the tower, in a dying sun

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1124 on: September 13, 2018, 03:43:18 PM »
Taormina is a nice song with a beautiful melody, a nice story and great mood, specially when it comes to percussion and accordion but MK slide guitar makes it to loose all his greatness. Slide noises that doesn't fit with the beautiful things any other instruments are doibg. For me, that slide noises ruins the song and turn it into one of the skippers.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 43 queries.