Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New album release autumn  (Read 273350 times)

Love Expresso

Re: New album release autumn
« Reply #1125 on: September 13, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »
I will give it another proper listen later on!

;D

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1126 on: September 13, 2018, 04:23:24 PM »
Taormina is a nice song with a beautiful melody, a nice story and great mood, specially when it comes to percussion and accordion but MK slide guitar makes it to loose all his greatness. Slide noises that doesn't fit with the beautiful things any other instruments are doibg. For me, that slide noises ruins the song and turn it into one of the skippers.

Kind of agree here.  Nice melody but the lyrics don't seem to fit the music (too many words awkwardly squeezed in) and personally I don't think his guitar sounds great at all.  Sounds poorly recorded (sharp and tinny) and that he's not nailing the sounds he wanted.  Maybe it was that new glass slide thing he was using at the time.  :think
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1127 on: September 13, 2018, 04:34:59 PM »
"I hope it's today or tomorrow, that's my hope...

I repeat it every day several times ::)

Send an e-mail to Universal Poland, maybe you have more luck  ;D

I sent it yesterday. I am waiting for a response

Perhaps they don’t response because announcement is going to be made in the next few days.....
Or perhaps they just don’t care......

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #1128 on: September 13, 2018, 05:15:54 PM »
Taormina is a nice song with a beautiful melody, a nice story and great mood, specially when it comes to percussion and accordion but MK slide guitar makes it to loose all his greatness. Slide noises that doesn't fit with the beautiful things any other instruments are doibg. For me, that slide noises ruins the song and turn it into one of the skippers.

Kind of agree here.  Nice melody but the lyrics don't seem to fit the music (too many words awkwardly squeezed in) and personally I don't think his guitar sounds great at all.  Sounds poorly recorded (sharp and tinny) and that he's not nailing the sounds he wanted.  Maybe it was that new glass slide thing he was using at the time.  :think
Love it

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1129 on: September 13, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »

Love it

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

Another one of my favourites from Tracker!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #1130 on: September 13, 2018, 05:56:36 PM »
So many things can make a slide guitar sound either great or horrible. Setup, strings, pickups, techniques, the slide's material and so forth.

If MK gets the sound he wants I'm fine with that. But there are so many other slide guitars and/or slide guitarists that perhaps would sound even better.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #1131 on: September 13, 2018, 06:34:13 PM »
Don't know actually why I don't like it  :lol

Maybe it's the "maybe in another life time" bridge, maybe it's the very bad fade-out. The guitar sounds good on it though. But yet another slide ....

What's good is that sometimes even after many years I re-discover songs and suddenly detect a new beauty in them which was overlooked first... maybe this will happen with Taormina some day ..  :wave

LE

Oh, for sure it will. Just listen to it as many times as you've been forced to listen to R&J, and it'll grow on you.  ;D

And about the fade-out: The one thing I don't like about that fade-out is that it's a fade-out, that song can't go on forever ...

But maybe we should stop here (I think I've made it clear that I love the song ;), and move on to more pressing issues: Do we have an album announcement by now?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:41:49 PM by Rail King »

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1132 on: September 13, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »
"Do we have an album announcement by now?

Dream... :disbelief
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1133 on: September 13, 2018, 06:50:39 PM »
So many things can make a slide guitar sound either great or horrible. Setup, strings, pickups, techniques, the slide's material and so forth.

If MK gets the sound he wants I'm fine with that. But there are so many other slide guitars and/or slide guitarists that perhaps would sound even better.

Sounds like he playing on old, rusty, fine gauge strings to me, if you can imagine that.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1134 on: September 13, 2018, 06:52:18 PM »
"Do we have an album announcement by now?

Dream... :disbelief

You may have missed one of the posts above but November has been announced by Universal in Portugal in reply to one of our AMITers.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1135 on: September 13, 2018, 06:56:06 PM »
https://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/release-date/coming-soon/date

He is not even mentioned in the anticipated future releseases below

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #1136 on: September 13, 2018, 07:42:19 PM »

I think he's better when he plays slide the George Harrison way.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineruipedro

• Local Hero
« Reply #1137 on: September 13, 2018, 07:59:58 PM »
Well guys I asked Universal M.Portugal whats the name of the album but they didn´t respond yet!!(and i think they don t tell me more until be oficcial)..I put in here(in the attachments) like i said in the other post i write,the foto(In Portuguese) of my conversation and the answer of the Universal M.Portugal to me saying that the album will be in November!!!cheers to all!!! :wave :wave ;) ;D

hunter

« Reply #1138 on: September 13, 2018, 08:14:14 PM »

I think one issue is that his sound is super clean. For slide on electric guitar, I tend to prefer players with a slightly overdriven sound. Apart from the usual suspects (Derek Trucks, Sonny Landreth, Ry Cooder, etc.), I think Richard Bennett plays great slide guitar. Maybe not like a virtuoso, but he has a nice sound. Didn't he play slide during Skydiver on the Tracker tour?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1139 on: September 13, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »

I think one issue is that his sound is super clean. For slide on electric guitar, I tend to prefer players with a slightly overdriven sound. Apart from the usual suspects (Derek Trucks, Sonny Landreth, Ry Cooder, etc.), I think Richard Bennett plays great slide guitar. Maybe not like a virtuoso, but he has a nice sound. Didn't he play slide during Skydiver on the Tracker tour?

I think you're right.  It has the same "qualities" as the 2015 versions of Sultans - too clean. 

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.