Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New album release autumn  (Read 272438 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: New album release autumn
« Reply #585 on: August 22, 2018, 11:44:43 AM »
Releasing a Christmas album is not in the style of MK:)

Yes indeed. I cannot see any other main reasons for EC to release it than commercial ones. I mean how many Christmas albums are there? The idea of making a Christmas
album - really driven by artistic ideas? Blues christmas? Bob's album had some interesting ideas, in fact I love it, with the polka and stuff. 

MK has no commercial ideas, the way he releases his albums and tour dates cleary shows that. He is amateurish at the most with that stuff. So I guess we will never
see an Mark Knopfler Christmas album.

LE

:thumbsup Exactly
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #586 on: August 22, 2018, 12:53:36 PM »
Releasing a Christmas album is not in the style of MK:) I'm calm:)

A Christmas album is the last thing I would had thought Eric Clapton could had recorded... It's not in his style at all, that is the blues, mixed with rock and pop during the 80's...

And he just recorded one.

Does the sentence "Never say never" rings the bell?

And...

Who would had thought that Mark Knopfler would write a musical?

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #587 on: August 22, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »

A Christmas album is the last thing I would had thought Eric Clapton could had recorded... It's not in his style at all, that is the blues, mixed with rock and pop during the 80's...

If Mark started working on one today it would need to be released posthumously!  :o
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #588 on: August 22, 2018, 01:30:40 PM »

And...

Who would had thought that Mark Knopfler would write a musical?
We don’t want Mark to make a Christmas album..... then i’m sure his next project will be.... a Christmas album.  :smack :smack :smack :smack

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #589 on: August 22, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »
"Christmas in Spring"

Release date : 23th of April 2021

THAT will be MK's Xmas album  8)
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #590 on: August 22, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »
MK has no commercial ideas, the way he releases his albums and tour dates cleary shows that. He is amateurish at the most with that stuff.

LE

«Amateurish at the most.» Indeed he is. And that's very okay - he's a songwriter, no marketer. I wish it weren't true for his marketers, though ...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #591 on: August 22, 2018, 02:19:29 PM »
"he's a songwriter"

Yes! For example The Ragpicker's Dream. For me, it's a real Christmas carol.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
« Reply #592 on: August 22, 2018, 02:47:25 PM »
With all due respect, but you can not compare Knopfler with Clapton. They both play guitar and sing, but that is where the resemblance stops.

Clapton is not a songwriter and creative artist. All the hit songs he put out there are covers or songs he had in one or the other way help with, to make the song from bad/mediocre to good/great. Because Clapton is not creative he comes up with things like a total uninspiring Christmas album filled with Christmas songs, which probably are all covers.

To be honest, I don't really understand why Clapton operates the way he does. He has all the freedom/time in the world, because of all the wealth he gathered. If you aren't a great songwriter then write down some lyrics in which you say what you want to say about the things that touch you and are important to you. After that get help from someone who is a great writer to help you rewrite those lyrics to make them better. When the lyrics are finished then go experiment in the recording home studio and try to put some chords/music underneath it. After that call up a good producer and get the band together for recording sessions.

Now it's like he has no dept and hasn't anything to say to the world.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:49:41 PM by Guitarman1972 »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #593 on: August 22, 2018, 02:51:09 PM »
He needs to get rid of Simon Climie!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #594 on: August 22, 2018, 03:38:14 PM »
He needs to get rid of Simon Climie!

Exactly! Climie is a parasite in Eric's life creatively speaking.

I don't think we should judge the way EC chooses to operate his business though. He's ill and fragile at the moment and just wants to keep going and do what he likes best which is making music. He's stated several times he's not the leader type as well, he will often take the backseat when the opportunity is given. On the other hand Mark's a natural born leader - some will even say a despot. Indeed two very different musicians and maybe that's why it sounds so awesome when they team up.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Love Expresso

« Reply #595 on: August 22, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »

Exactly! Climie is a parasite in Eric's life creatively speaking.

I don't think we should judge the way EC chooses to operate his business though. He's ill and fragile at the moment and just wants to keep going and do what he likes best which is making music. He's stated several times he's not the leader type as well, he will often take the backseat when the opportunity is given. On the other hand Mark's a natural born leader - some will even say a despot. Indeed two very different musicians and maybe that's why it sounds so awesome when they team up.

Fair enough.

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #596 on: August 22, 2018, 08:46:32 PM »
With all due respect, but you can not compare Knopfler with Clapton. They both play guitar and sing, but that is where the resemblance stops.

Clapton is not a songwriter and creative artist. All the hit songs he put out there are covers or songs he had in one or the other way help with, to make the song from bad/mediocre to good/great. Because Clapton is not creative he comes up with things like a total uninspiring Christmas album filled with Christmas songs, which probably are all covers.

To be honest, I don't really understand why Clapton operates the way he does. He has all the freedom/time in the world, because of all the wealth he gathered. If you aren't a great songwriter then write down some lyrics in which you say what you want to say about the things that touch you and are important to you. After that get help from someone who is a great writer to help you rewrite those lyrics to make them better. When the lyrics are finished then go experiment in the recording home studio and try to put some chords/music underneath it. After that call up a good producer and get the band together for recording sessions.

Now it's like he has no dept and hasn't anything to say to the world.

Clapton has a 50 years plus career. He has said what he had to say and wrote or co wrote some classics. LAOALS is a masterpiece!
But Eric has produced a discography with many high and low, he has not the consistency that some others artist have.
Now he may be "dry" but we have enough of GOOD material to enjoy many hours of great music performed by him.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #597 on: August 22, 2018, 10:09:54 PM »
Releasing a Christmas album is not in the style of MK:)

Yes indeed. I cannot see any other main reasons for EC to release it than commercial ones. I mean how many Christmas albums are there? The idea of making a Christmas
album - really driven by artistic ideas? Blues christmas? Bob's album had some interesting ideas, in fact I love it, with the polka and stuff. 

MK has no commercial ideas, the way he releases his albums and tour dates cleary shows that. He is amateurish at the most with that stuff. So I guess we will never
see an Mark Knopfler Christmas album.

LE
I agree except for the word you did use, i wouldn't say amateurish, I would say "you" are rather not interested in what is already depleted or "worn out"  ;)
just think of rag pickers dream or corn beef city (even radio city serenade is included), these are really great songs!
but, who would ever want the whole album made of Christmas?  :hmm
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Love Expresso

« Reply #598 on: August 22, 2018, 10:22:35 PM »
Hey Stanko, maybe it was not clear enough... I just meant that the release of the album (s) itself, especially in Internet days, is done amateurish. I would never call his songs that way of course, even his worst ones get more playtime at my place than what is on the Radio today.. Not that there are many bad ones.

But remember how the 2015 tour dates where put out and now this story with keeping it oh all soo secret.. that I think is dealed in a not very professional way to say the least.

LE

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #599 on: August 22, 2018, 10:24:38 PM »
LAOALS is a masterpiece!
What's that?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 39 queries.