Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (02) Back on the Dance Floor  (Read 72332 times)

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
Re: (02) Back on the Dance Floor ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »
I really don’t get the negatives from so many of you. I’m away from home and have yet to hear it through the 'proper' Hi-Fi. But on good 'phones, it made an immediate and positive impact on me, one of the best things he’s done in years. And also, one of the most commercial things he’s done in years. UK readers may understand what I mean when I say that I could even see him performing it on Strictly. Don’t sneer - that would mean seven or eight million people getting to hear it. And the song title is kind of appropriate!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #271 on: November 07, 2018, 08:25:38 AM »
I really don’t get the negatives from so many of you. I’m away from home and have yet to hear it through the 'proper' Hi-Fi. But on good 'phones, it made an immediate and positive impact on me, one of the best things he’s done in years. And also, one of the most commercial things he’s done in years. UK readers may understand what I mean when I say that I could even see him performing it on Strictly. Don’t sneer - that would mean seven or eight million people getting to hear it. And the song title is kind of appropriate!

Yes, I also mentioned him playing on "Strictly" a few pages ago, but then I wondered if it would be possible for him to do justice to it "live" with the small band he uses for promos.    :think 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #272 on: November 07, 2018, 10:01:21 AM »
It is so weird when people say things like "I don't get the negatives from so many of you" - as if one person can't concieve that another person woud not like the thing they like. Really, really odd. I don't like the song - you do. I would never say "I don't get why some of you are so positive about this song" - because....erm...people like different things. I am, generally, not a fan of overly commercial sounding music - in the way I think you mean it - so the fact that this is commercial, or sounds good on the radio, whatever that means etc holds no value for me. For me, songs stand and fall on thier own merits - the depth of the song, the power, the meaning, the joy, the fun etc. For me, this song is a souless bore and a grand case of the emperor's new clothes. But is really is quite easy to understand people liking different things.

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #273 on: November 07, 2018, 10:12:31 AM »
"de gustibus" ;)

hunter

« Reply #274 on: November 07, 2018, 10:48:12 AM »
Am I the only one who wonders about the strange sound of the SHAKE  ....sh-sounds? Sounds not right to me. 

LE

If Guy is singing background vocals on this one, it could be his voice, as his "s" is a bit "rich". (Not quite as rich as Sean Connery, though ha-ha) Or, it could just be the blend of all the voices. S and sh sounds, so called sibilants, are often very problematic during recording. They often use a technique called de-essing to alleviate this. Playback too for that matter can be an issue. If you have a sound system which is a bit louder in the treble region (and have a room with hard walls, which results in echo), it can sound horrible. Try some Bach choral music sung in German on a system like that.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:51:24 AM by hunter »

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #275 on: November 07, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »
It is so weird when people say things like "I don't get the negatives from so many of you" - as if one person can't concieve that another person woud not like the thing they like. Really, really odd. I don't like the song - you do. I would never say "I don't get why some of you are so positive about this song" - because....erm...people like different things. I am, generally, not a fan of overly commercial sounding music - in the way I think you mean it - so the fact that this is commercial, or sounds good on the radio, whatever that means etc holds no value for me. For me, songs stand and fall on thier own merits - the depth of the song, the power, the meaning, the joy, the fun etc. For me, this song is a souless bore and a grand case of the emperor's new clothes. But is really is quite easy to understand people liking different things.

I’m certainly not trying to prevent you expressing an opinion, I’m just a bit surprised by it (and the fact that quite a few of us seem to be in your camp). I think it’s good AND commercial, you think it’s no good AND commercial. To me it’s a piece of archetypal Knopfler - which should be something that draws us together. But I accept you don’t agree!

hunter

« Reply #276 on: November 07, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
Commercial and good are not mutually exclusive.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #277 on: November 07, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »
Am I the only one who wonders about the strange sound of the SHAKE  ....sh-sounds? Sounds not right to me. 

LE

If Guy is singing background vocals on this one, it could be his voice, as his "s" is a bit "rich". (Not quite as rich as Sean Connery, though ha-ha) Or, it could just be the blend of all the voices. S and sh sounds, so called sibilants, are often very problematic during recording. They often use a technique called de-essing to alleviate this. Playback too for that matter can be an issue. If you have a sound system which is a bit louder in the treble region (and have a room with hard walls, which results in echo), it can sound horrible. Try some Bach choral music sung in German on a system like that.

HI guys, speaking as someone who has owned and run a recording studio for a long time, if you're having to use de-essing to remove plosives and sibilants then you've done something wrong at the recording stage. I think its what mark and guy mean about getting a decent recording from the start. Proper sound treatment and a decent pop filter will reduce issues by 95%, the rest is down to mic placement etc. Even the best hardware and software solutions to such issues result in bad degradation of the original source and I wouldn't use them in a recording unless absolutely necessary.

It would be really interesting to know the small detail surrounding the recording of the new songs, something to learn for everyone.

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #278 on: November 07, 2018, 01:28:09 PM »
Well - surprise is another thing - yet I am not sure why it would come as a surprise that a song like this splitting opinion would be surprising. Even those that love the song could probably guess that it would not be everyone's cup of tea....it's not like it is an obvious masterwork to most so anyone not liking it seems a bit odd....I mean - its not Tunnel of Love is it? Some might like Walk of Life or Money for Nothing - but it doesn't surprise me that plenty of people don't like those songs at all....

Meantime - being really selfish - I have heard two songs from the new album and not liked either very much - I would love to hear a song from it that I can get excited about so I can join all you Good on You and Dancefloor fans!

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2018, 02:23:53 PM »
Not many songs by anyone are in the same league as Tunnel of Love! But Dance Floor might just be in the same league as What It Is. Mind you, you probably don’t like that either.

hunter

« Reply #280 on: November 07, 2018, 02:30:44 PM »
Seriously, guys, are you arguing about tastes and preferences?

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #281 on: November 07, 2018, 02:43:26 PM »
I am not arguing with anyone - I'm responding to comments......Why would you think I wouldn't like What It Is? I love it - already said that on here before. What It Is is nothing like Dancefloor as a song though.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #282 on: November 07, 2018, 03:27:33 PM »
I am not arguing with anyone - I'm responding to comments......Why would you think I wouldn't like What It Is? I love it - already said that on here before. What It Is is nothing like Dancefloor as a song though.

Fair enough!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #283 on: November 07, 2018, 06:34:44 PM »
Radio version 3.38
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #284 on: November 07, 2018, 06:56:55 PM »
Radio version 3.38

Where did you read it?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 44 queries.