Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark and Bob in the ol' USA  (Read 27225 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Mark and Bob in the ol' USA
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »
Hi LE!   It says at the top left - ISIS - The Bob Dylan Magazine, so I think it's official!   Don't know about a TK, but maybe twm might know?   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2012, 09:49:17 PM »
I have written for ISIS magazine in the past and occasionally still do. I can assure you that ISIS is not an official magazine sanctioned by Bob Dylan's management. It was started by fans and is still run by fans. That said, if Bob Dylan's management wanted to be difficult about its content, they probably could - but they don't. They are aware of the magazine and, for all I know, read it. There is no equivalent of TK in Dylan World - and I do know TK.

Now, in terms of Dylan news, as published on their website, they do not put out stuff just because they can but because they think it is correct and the timing is appropriate. They have a very high success rate in terms of accuracy - approaching 100%, I'd say. I know this because I have myself provided information to them for publication, based on the sources I have built up over the years. They also have sources of their own. I have had a pretty close working relationship with the ISIS people for over 20 years  and, indeed, only a month ago, attended an entirely social event in the north of England, sharing a table with them and some of the old-stagers in Dylan World. Some of you may or may not know the My Back Pages people, also fans, who ran a Dylan book service in their spare time, put on Bob Dylan conventions and also showed videos from here, there and everywhere.

Getting "unknown" news is not always a straightforward process. One tries to triangulate information - that is, get it from three independent sources, who do not know one another. This is increasingly difficult in the internet age, where you can appear to get something from different dources but it is simply one source whose bit of information has been passed around. Sometimes, I have got a snippet of information on the basis that it will not be made public unless it also comes from someone else.  I have always honoured that, even if it means being a bit behind with its publc dissemination. This is the proper course of action for a number of reasons: (1) it is the honourable thing to do, (2) it safeguards the source for the future, as well as increasing your own credibility as someone to whom "secrets" can be entrusted, (3) it helps identify which other sources you should approach and (4) it helps to assess any other rumours that may be picked up on the same subject. I believe the people at ISIS are similarly honourable and careful.

If ISIS says that shows are "being talked about for North America", in the context of Dylan and Knopfler touring together, then I would believe them. They will not be talking about fan chatter alone. If they were, they would make that clear. What they say is consistent with my own view and my own sources. It is not certain that there will be any such BD-MK tour later this year but there are indications that this could happen.

How this would fit in with any MK solo tour, I do not know. 

Love Expresso

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2012, 09:54:06 PM »
Thanks twm, very enlightening, as always I might add.

LE

Offlineshooting_star_night

• Camerado
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2012, 10:32:51 PM »
Bob Dylan Lucca, Italy Festival Summer 2012: http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lanazione.it%2Flucca%2Fcronaca%2F2012%2F02%2F16%2F669151-ruba_ricettario_prescriversi_morfina_denunciato_operario.shtml

"Lucca, February 19, 2012: Bob Dylan will return to the Summer Festival: its presence was confirmed by the artistic director Mimmo D'Alessandro, who needs only to define the date."
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:36:59 PM by shooting_star_night »

OfflineHophead

• Camerado
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2012, 01:36:16 AM »
So Bob is going to tour SA in the spring..do some dates in Europe in the summer..and NA in the fall?...wow!
Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here<br />Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer<br />I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees<br />But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
That's what ISIS is reporting as the current rumours

Bob Dylan Lucca, Italy Festival Summer 2012 (Rumour)

"Lucca, February 19, 2012: Bob Dylan will return to the Summer Festival: its presence was confirmed by the artistic director Mimmo D'Alessandro, who needs only to define the date." Further details HERE

Although this date is unconfirmed it does fit with what ISIS heard earlier this year, which was Spring in South America, possible Summer Festivals in Europe and an October / November tour in the States, possibly with Mark Knopfler.

Feb 20, 2012

As for "wow", Dylan is now 70 but still tours a lot, often around or close to 100 shows per annum, and he has been doing this since the late 1980s. Last year was actually relatively quiet as he did only 89 concerts in 21 different countries. The slacker! Actually, I haven't counted them but "stole" the information from elsewhere.

Rollergirl

« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2012, 11:10:28 AM »
but in the late 80s, he was not 70!  ;D

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »
buddy guy is another prime example, the man must surely have past the 100 by now, and still tours like a wildebeast.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2012, 11:23:34 AM »
Correct! Full marks for observation and computational ability. It is comforting to know that some people are alert and paying attention.

And I've probably said this before but I saw Buddy Guy in a small club in North London in the mid-1960s!

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2012, 11:36:18 AM »
but in the late 80s, he was not 70!  ;D

Yes but he sounded like 70! Now he sounds like 100, but unfortunately not like Buddy Guy. ;D 
No matter what you say twm and with all due respect, I can't convince myself to like his concert voice, at all. It is like torture.
"How many songs must a poor man hear,  before he passes out"
Joke aside, I don't care about any excuses about his traveling a lot and getting older, or the artistry hidden behind his raw vocals. But this is only my personal opinion and a discussion we already had. But  I can settle with his studio voice quality.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2012, 12:29:16 PM »
Dylan has toured most years of his career but the current touring bout is generally reckoned to have started in 1988. Here's a (brief) Dylan story from that year that might perhaps illustrate his sense of humour:

Omaha World-Herald
In 1988, Bob Dylan of all people stopped Barry Manilow at a party, hugged him and said,

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »
Thank you for that, twm!  He has the wit of a young man, indeed! Almost like a Brit! Or maybe he truly believed it. No...  ;D

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »
That schedule could make sense with MK supposed projects... As MK still has to record the film score, while Bob is touring SA and Europe, MK can continue his work, and maybe do some guest appearence in London if Bob wants to invite him.

What I still dont get is why MK would like to tour with Bob in the autumm this year when he has to release a new record and promote it at that time, I dont get it, it doesnt make sense, to be touring the US when the usual stuff is do promo gigs in Europe, tv news, tv programmes etc etc. To tour the US with Bob doesnt makes any sense, he will be wasting promotion months in a market that its not good for him, and missing the market that its really good for him.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
Well, maybe the soundtrack will be released first, to coincide with the release of the movie in June. Maybe the new songs he played live is actually from the soundtrack. Then he might surprise us with a nice double CD live release! (Containing Money for nothing, just for Canada.  :P ) That could explain the schedule.  And the album with the new material will be released in 2013, with A Bob contribution! It is about time! ;D   

Love Expresso

« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2012, 07:27:55 PM »
For me it's pretty clear now: album release end of August/Sept, and instead of TV promo stuff in Oct/Nov as usual he will tour with Bob again, just for fun and because it was so great... Then his "own" tour as usual from Feb/March 2013 on... I will be ready...

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 45 queries.