Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists 2011  (Read 51844 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists 2011
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 07:37:11 AM »
...it's all in the fingers....
there's Davey G. and there's Marky....then it is quite for a long time...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Jackal

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2011, 08:12:15 AM »
Lars, It's only my opinion, but remember now we're only talking about the technical aspects. Mark's total score would be much higher because of other aspects.

I'd love to contact some pro guitar players and musicians and have them come up with a proper set of criteria, then create a large selection of guitar players (or even use the players on the Rolling Stone list) and then make a poll somewhere. There's of course the issue of genre, and if you're not used to certain musical styles, it's difficult to appreciate how good someone is within that genre.

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2011, 10:22:23 AM »
Did you realize he went from #82 to #14 ? !!!
A few years ago he was an average guitarist : #82, even worse than MK.
I guess he's worked hard during the past 5 or 6 years, practiced a lot, secretly watched videos of great guitarists such as Kurt Cobain to improve his technique.
Hard work always pays off. What a reward : ranked #14 today. He must be proud :he can consider himself as good guitarist. Surely not a world class, but a very good one.
A life achievement.

Unlike Mark Knopfler who almost an average guitarist and make no effort.  ;)

Jackal

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2011, 10:26:32 AM »
I guess he's worked hard during the past 5 or 6 years, practiced a lot, secretly watched videos of great guitarists such as Kurt Cobain to improve his technique.
Hard work always pays off. What a reward : ranked #14 today. He must be proud :he can consider himself as good guitarist. Surely not a world class, but a very good one.
A life achievement.

HAHAHA! Great. Just goes to show how meaningless such a list is.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »
A life achievement.

Hi Tunnel!    I loved your post - it puts everything into perspective!    ;)       
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »
Those ranking lists always make me laugh.   :lol
Mark is always underrated. (same for JJ Cale, David Gilmour & Tony Joe White  :disbelief )

You're right Jackal, it's all about technical abilities.
They consider MK doesn't have a great technique because he doesn't play with a pick.
I don't agree. Satriani can play faster than MK, and then ?    :o

Let's do it simple. Mark has played with many great guitarists, for example RS#2 EC, Chet Atkins or recently Bob Dylan  ;) on Don't think twice it's alright.
I don't think he's ever been ridiculous while playing on the same stage.

Jackal

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »
Those ranking lists always make me laugh.   :lol
Mark is always underrated. (same for JJ Cale, David Gilmour & Tony Joe White  :disbelief )

You're right Jackal, it's all about technical abilities.
They consider MK doesn't have a great technique because he doesn't play with a pick.
I don't agree. Satriani can play faster than MK, and then ?    :o

Let's do it simple. Mark has played with many great guitarists, for example RS#2 EC, Chet Atkins or recently Bob Dylan  ;) on Don't think twice it's alright.
I don't think he's ever been ridiculous while playing on the same stage.

Not sure if I agree with what you say here. "They" (RS, I believe you mean?) don't underrate Mark (or Gilmour) because of technical ability, but rather they try to measure how influential and innovative the guitarists are or have been. I mean, Keith Richards is number 4 ...

And neither is Mark underrated because he plays with his fingers. Other fingerstyle players are ranked higher, for instance Derek Trucks at #16.

I think the list is OK IF you consider the fact that it is NOT a ranking based on technical ability.

For me the bottom line is this: Does the guitar player (or musician) move you? They can be highly revered or unknown, technically good or bad, but if their playing strikes a chord (no pun intended) in your soul, then that's the player who's best for you. And this is why I have loved Mark's playing all these years. His tone, taste, ability to squeeze out emotions of that fretboard in a way that other more technically skilled guitarist only can dream of. And he can do that with three notes ... I might not be crazy about everything he does musically these days, but when he's on form, he's among my absolute favorites.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:26:06 AM by Jackal »

Rollergirl

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »
so what? who cares?

enough to write 3 pages about this!  ;D

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »
so what? who cares?

enough to write 3 pages about this!  ;D
True but you know, tour is over ...
I'd prefer discuss of next show but I'm afraid I have to kill time before it happens.   :-[

Jackal

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2011, 01:58:42 PM »
Nothing wrong in discussing this though? I even think it's useful to have a rational discussion on what is meant by or makes a "good musician".

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »
Nothing wrong at all   ;)
Very educational post
I like it

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2011, 02:25:29 PM »
(...) Then again, I believe one's playing style very often reflects one's personality, and Tommy is just a totally crazy livewire, like Chet Atkins with ADHD and on speed. He just can't hold it back. Although he should ...
I think you nailed it here. Chet Atkins with ADHD  ;D  Fits so well to Tommy!

It's important to note that technical ability is often associated only with speed, that is if you can fire off 10000 notes per second you would often be considered "technical wizard", whereas it is not only speed that is the challenge but also accuracy and ability to stretch your fingers to reach odd notes within one chord for example. Tommy has all of that but so does Mark. Fingerstyle technique is indeed a great test for guitarists because you have to be all members of the band simultaneously :) Great fun too, if you nail the basics.

Nothing wrong at all   ;)
Very educational post
I like it
Agree!
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Rollergirl

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »
Nothing wrong at all! That's what discussion forums are for.

Jackal

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2011, 02:55:47 PM »
It's important to note that technical ability is often associated only with speed, that is if you can fire off 10000 notes per second you would often be considered "technical wizard", whereas it is not only speed that is the challenge but also accuracy and ability to stretch your fingers to reach odd notes within one chord for example.

Absolutely. Technique is just a tool that makes it easier to epxress what it's in your head on your instrument. I don't have time now, but maybe I'll post some videos of soul-less technique monsters vs. technique-less soul monsters.

Fingerstyle technique is indeed a great test for guitarists because you have to be all members of the band simultaneously :) Great fun too, if you nail the basics.

Fingerstyle all the way, man. It has it's limits, though. I played bluegrass for a long time, and then you have to use a flatpick. I guess also for psycho-speed thrash metal fingerpicking would be a bit out of place. But for anything else, fingerstyle works well. Plus it's so cool to suddenly do a chord run WITH a bass line simultaneously. Forget that if you play with a pick alone!

Love Expresso

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 08:41:29 PM »
I must admit that I (no clue of guitar technique at all) prefer a nice and good tone over some technique showing-off kind of guitar playing, and it is Mark's tone that I like most... It is a part of my life, like a very good friend or more, beloved family member. He hasn't lost it until today, although there have been times in his career when he tried other things but he still has the "touch". So I loove this new solo on Forever Young because it has so much of that unique Knopfler sound, it could have come from the Communiqu

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 51 queries.