Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Knopfler, Sting, Ferry and others letter about arts funding cuts.  (Read 5942 times)

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
Re: Knopfler, Sting, Ferry and others letter about arts funding cuts.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:01:34 AM »
According to the article : Musician Mark Knopfler said: "It is mortifying and shaming that these 100% cuts should be in Newcastle, which has always enjoyed such a rich tradition in the arts."

I wonder what he would say about a well known artist touring in many European countries, visiting almost all Western European countries although refusing to promote his art in few countries such as Ireland, Greece, Switzerland, Portugal ...    :o

"It is mortifying and shaming that these 100% no tour dates should be in Ireland, Greece, Switzerland, Portugal,...  which have always enjoyed such a rich tradition in the arts."  >:( :thumbsdown

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »
According to the article : Musician Mark Knopfler said: "It is mortifying and shaming that these 100% cuts should be in Newcastle, which has always enjoyed such a rich tradition in the arts."

I wonder what he would say about a well known artist touring in many European countries, visiting almost all Western European countries although refusing to promote his art in few countries such as Ireland, Greece, Switzerland, Portugal ...    :o

"It is mortifying and shaming that these 100% no tour dates should be in Ireland, Greece, Switzerland, Portugal,...  which have always enjoyed such a rich tradition in the arts."  >:( :thumbsdown

Not sure how one issue has anything to do with the other.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »

Well, on one hand  Mr. Knopfler thinks that Newcastle authorities should keep on funding art associations despite their budget issues.
On the other hand, Mr. Knopfler won't tour in some countries next year and it looks like it is for economic reasons.
I think he is not consistent.
He will earn enough money in 65 shows to take a risk on a couple of dates  and just do it for fun.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »

Well, on one hand  Mr. Knopfler thinks that Newcastle authorities should keep on funding art associations despite their budget issues.
On the other hand, Mr. Knopfler won't tour in some countries next year and it looks like it is for economic reasons.
He will earn enough money in 65 shows to take a risk on a couple of dates  and just do it for fun.

+10

OfflinePixelPerfect

• Local Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 06:23:11 PM »
I don't think money should be an issue at all for a guy like him. How big is his fortune again?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 07:37:45 PM »
If this link is anything to go by, all councils are having to accept cuts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20784599

And that isn't really surprising in these economic times.  In my opinion there are far more important areas to spend money than the arts.

I saw a report on the news last night where someone who took part in the Paralympics was annoyed that funding was cut this year too but I think people should be understanding of todays economic climate and services like health should never be underfunded.  So what if the UK misses out on a gold medal or another Geordie singer?   
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »

Do we know for sure that it's for economic reasons? Maybe MK doesn't like the weather or the hotels there. Could be anything. If MK and company make decisions based upon economic reasons, then the entire Bob Dylan / Mark Knopfler US tour this year shouldn't have happened.  :)

"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »
I don't think it's entirely MK's decision;  it it most likely venue availability and PCM who book venues etc.

In saying that, it still seems strange for whomever to arrange the tour to abandon the aforementioned countries when it's a European only tour and they always get a date on a world tour!  Now, alas you guys know how our South American and Australasian friends feel.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:51:55 AM »
If Mark and all those other artists and performers now expressing dismay on the matter of arts funding feel so strongly that they derived so much benefit from arts funding in the past, then perhaps it is time for them to pay back for the inspiration that they received when young.

Perhaps it is difficult (at this stage in the booking process for Mark to donate all the proceeds from next year's Newcastle show to some North East-based arts organisation. If so, perhaps he should consider a special show for this specific purpose.

Alternatively, perhaps he and all the others could put on one big joint concert or even each of them put on a concert part of a series of concerts to generate such funds.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »

Do we know for sure that it's for economic reasons? Maybe MK doesn't like the weather or the hotels there. Could be anything. If MK and company make decisions based upon economic reasons, then the entire Bob Dylan / Mark Knopfler US tour this year shouldn't have happened.  :)

I am not sure about this. But couldn't it be that later on some more dates will be added. Compared to other tours there are big gaps in the schedule.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 01:10:45 PM »
If Mark and all those other artists and performers now expressing dismay on the matter of arts funding feel so strongly that they derived so much benefit from arts funding in the past, then perhaps it is time for them to pay back for the inspiration that they received when young.

Perhaps it is difficult (at this stage in the booking process for Mark to donate all the proceeds from next year's Newcastle show to some North East-based arts organisation. If so, perhaps he should consider a special show for this specific purpose.

Alternatively, perhaps he and all the others could put on one big joint concert or even each of them put on a concert part of a series of concerts to generate such funds.

Was thinking that myself.  But it's the same with funding in all English council areas, not just the NE although I don't know how much others are cutting back in the arts.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 10:37:16 PM »
I don't really understand the art fund cuts. Here in Greece very few people got any money for art, and it usually was for cinema. The other usual issue was that these ones were connected with the authorities... All artists in Greece struggle with other jobs in order to afford to do their thing. Musicians, photographers, actors and dancers. Painters and sculptors were a bit luckier I guess. So I really don't get the cuts in arts. Of course nowadays there is a great cut in health, education and  social support funds so no thoughts about the arts whatsoever. And MK is not coming to Greece, but going to Turkey and Bulgarian (900km away from Athens). Bulgaria and Turkey have their own currency, no Euro. Greece has Euro but nobody seems sure about 2013. And the ones that are sure, well they know that if Greece stays in the Euro zone, it will be by draining all the money from the bank accounts and producing an army of unemployed. (officially already reached 27%, unofficially has passed the 31% mark-most of them from ages 20-40) so probably no money left for any concert.   
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »
I don't really understand the art fund cuts. Here in Greece very few people got any money for art, and it usually was for cinema. The other usual issue was that these ones were connected with the authorities... All artists in Greece struggle with other jobs in order to afford to do their thing. Musicians, photographers, actors and dancers. Painters and sculptors were a bit luckier I guess. So I really don't get the cuts in arts. Of course nowadays there is a great cut in health, education and  social support funds so no thoughts about the arts whatsoever. And MK is not coming to Greece, but going to Turkey and Bulgarian (900km away from Athens). Bulgaria and Turkey have their own currency, no Euro. Greece has Euro but nobody seems sure about 2013. And the ones that are sure, well they know that if Greece stays in the Euro zone, it will be by draining all the money from the bank accounts and producing an army of unemployed. (officially already reached 27%, unofficially has passed the 31% mark-most of them from ages 20-40) so probably no money left for any concert.

Puts it into perspective really.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.