Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Redbud tree memorial  (Read 3710 times)

Offlineknopfling

• Camerado
  • SALT LAKE CITY June 25, 2008
Redbud tree memorial
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:06:52 AM »
A group has planted 26 trees in a Salt Lake City (Utah) cemetery, one each for the victims at Sandy Hook.
The trees are Redbud trees.
They said the tree is native to Connecticut, so that's why they chose it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:45:09 PM by knopfling »
My 2008 Red Rocks/Salt Lake/Hard Rock pix
http://s319.photobucket.com/albums/mm469/knopfling/?start=0

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Redbud tree memorial
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:56:05 PM »
There has been much sympathy over this here in Scotland since we had to endure the Dunblane massacre in 1996.  The wife of my old physics teacher was actually a teacher at the school.  The small town is only 20 miles from where I live. 

I will never forget watching the pictures on a TV report and this little girl who was lucky enough to have survived, running out the school building as fast as her little legs could carry her, straight into her mums safe arms.  It was the look on the little girls face that was most memorable though - a look of absolute terror like I had never seen before.  That should never have to be experienced by anyone, let alone a small child.

I don't understand the gun culture in America but using violence to cull violence seems like idiocy to me.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
There has been much sympathy over this here in Scotland since we had to endure the Dunblane massacre in 1996.  The wife of my old physics teacher was actually a teacher at the school.  The small town is only 20 miles from where I live. 

I will never forget watching the pictures on a TV report and this little girl who was lucky enough to have survived, running out the school building as fast as her little legs could carry her, straight into her mums safe arms.  It was the look on the little girls face that was most memorable though - a look of absolute terror like I had never seen before.  That should never have to be experienced by anyone, let alone a small child.

I don't understand the gun culture in America but using violence to cull violence seems like idiocy to me.

+10000000

Mona Dee

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »

I second that !!!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 06:47:04 PM »
I always said and will say it again, ...
No primary schools --> no gun violence!
Sad...really..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineRkd

• Camerado
  • and the thread was spun to some arcadian band...
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 10:33:10 PM »
It is extremely frustrating to many Americans that don't buy into the gun culture's propaganda because it is impossible to discuss this issue with those that do. Conservative talk shows and the National Rifle Association foster a kind of paranoia in the US that was reflected in the mother of the Sandy Hook killer. She amassed quite an arsenal of weapons to protect herself from "the enemy". How sadly ironic it is that she turned out to be the enemy herself by having those guns available to an unstable son, as well as (either directly or indirectly) imparting to him the thinking that guns are a means to solving problems.  My personal background is in teaching, a profession I dearly love. However, the day school administration or politicians make a policy that firearms be a required part of my teaching day would be the day I find a new profession.

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:27:36 PM »
This gun culture and fanaticism for guns is very embarrassing for many of us here in the US.   Many of us are ashamed of and appalled at the blind selfish stubborness of National Rifle Association's devotees who insist that they have the right to own assault weapons.   If you have the stomach for it, listen to their ridiculous arguments.   They would be funny if they weren't so stupid and tragic.   
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 10:59:52 PM »

I agree with the things you say about the NRA Marie! :clap

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 04:13:43 PM »
No primary schools --> no gun violence!

sorry Pottel but I don't understand. What do you mean exactly ?  :hmm

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:26:01 PM »
I think Pottel was being facetious.   Some people here are making the ridiculous argument that the solution to the problem is for teachers to carry guns.  Pottel is joking and going the other extreme.   Don't even have schools.    Then no gunman can come in and kill anyone there.       
Goes a long, long way
To get along

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
I noticed the children started back school today.  Another place, of course;  their old school is still a crime scene apparently.  How did their parents let them leave home...

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 08:20:43 PM »
It's a humanity issue.  What child could stand going back into that school.   It will probably be torn down.
Goes a long, long way
To get along

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 01:09:44 PM »
It's a humanity issue.  What child could stand going back into that school.   It will probably be torn down.

Dunblane Primary is still there and functioning as normal.  It was refurbished after the massacre.  I reckon this may be done to the school in Sandy Hook too.  It seems they maybe got the redbud tree idea from Dunblane Primary:

http://www.stirling.gov.uk/services/education-and-learning/schools/primary-schools/dunblane-primary-school
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:16:42 PM by dmg »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »
I think Pottel was being facetious.   Some people here are making the ridiculous argument that the solution to the problem is for teachers to carry guns.  Pottel is joking and going the other extreme.   Don't even have schools.    Then no gunman can come in and kill anyone there.     

ah ok thanks, sorry for misunderstanding. It's always difficult for me to grab humor in my non-native language, and more without smileys...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 37 queries.