Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: My first impressions on the album  (Read 5420 times)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: My first impressions on the album
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2024, 08:00:05 AM »
Yes, excellent service, thank you very much, JF!

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2024, 08:27:24 AM »
I detect a certain frustration about missing solos and you are not as enthusiastic as you were when you heard DTRW for the first time. But to me, your impressions sound very promising. I am looking forward to the new album now even more! Also your description "Tracker/KTGC" is a huge positive point for me.

Would you say this record has a complete "album feel" if you know what I mean? (KTGC and TRD are good examples for what I mean, while DTRW is just a wild mixture...)

Don't you have no access to the five bonus tracks?

Just imagine that there will be nine more songs! We are blessed!

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2024, 09:01:45 AM »
Dare I say it's a mix between Tracker and KTGC ?  :think  not sure...

Oh, great ...  :disbelief

A mix between KTGC and Tracker sounds good to me - they are two of my favourite three MK solo albums, the other being Shangri La.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2024, 09:15:25 AM »
Dare I say it's a mix between Tracker and KTGC ?  :think  not sure...

Oh, great ...  :disbelief

A mix between KTGC and Tracker sounds good to me - they are two of my favourite three MK solo albums, the other being Shangri La.  :)

:)

Neither Tracker nor KTGC is bad. They are good albums with good songs and high quality production. But they are slow, on the whole. Perfect albums for a quiet afternoon when you're in the mood for really listening and paying attention to the lyrics. Another album in that vein just doesn't excite me.

Edit: What I'd love to hear from Mark is something in the style of Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker. Something sparse and a little sombre.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 09:22:49 AM by hunter v2.0 »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2024, 09:50:03 AM »
Perfect albums for a quiet afternoon when you're in the mood for really listening and paying attention to the lyrics. .

yes exactly my feeling with this new album

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2024, 09:57:58 AM »
JF, a question. I read in a review posted here that Smart Money is a great piece, the best on the album. Is that true? Is it a DS style up-tempo song or not?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2024, 10:01:05 AM »
I detect a certain frustration about missing solos and you are not as enthusiastic as you were when you heard DTRW for the first time. But to me, your impressions sound very promising. I am looking forward to the new album now even more! Also your description "Tracker/KTGC" is a huge positive point for me.

Would you say this record has a complete "album feel" if you know what I mean? (KTGC and TRD are good examples for what I mean, while DTRW is just a wild mixture...)

LE

you are right. I haven't feel the same ethousisam as DTRW yet.

to me it sounds like a quiet album. You know, the one you listen to at home, sit down on a rockin chair, close to the fire...
Nothing wrong about that, but I didn't find the excitation with a "dynamic" track like I had with trapper man, back on the dance floor,.. or the very touching one song at the time

I bet it will grown on me with time.

yes I find an "album feel", except for Scavengers Yard which is different from the rest, at least to my ears. A little bit like Broken bones doesn't fit with long ccol gril, silver eagle, lights of taormina, wherever I go or river town imho.

I'd say that One deep river album is "calm americana" style so to say....
this afternoon, I'm going to drive for a long trip (3h30) and I will listen to it to see/hear how it works on the  road. The weather is rainy, so not really the best context though

sorry for my average english, and a lot of typos in my posts...

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2024, 10:03:06 AM »

no. the link that was sent to me by Universal has only the 12 tracks from the album

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2024, 10:08:20 AM »
JF, a question. I read in a review posted here that Smart Money is a great piece, the best on the album. Is that true? Is it a DS style up-tempo song or not?

like I said, to my ears it sounds like a mix between Nobody's got the gun and I'm the fool.

typical MK clean tone, from his solo era (Redbud tree, golden heart, beachcombing, occupation blues, etc...). I wouldn't range it in the DS category

it's mid-tempo. melodic. country flavour. Pedal steel, chords arrangments (or synths ? not sure) in the background, and tasty piano by Jim Cox

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2024, 10:13:18 AM »

like I said, to my ears it sounds like a mix between Nobody's got the gun and I'm the fool.

typical MK clean tone, from his solo era (Redbud tree, golden heart, beachcombing, occupation blues, etc...). I wouldn't range it in the DS category

it's mid-tempo. melodic. country flavour. Pedal steel, chords arrangments (or synths ? not sure) in the background, and tasty piano by Jim Cox

By "chords" do you mean "strings"?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2024, 10:19:18 AM »

By "chords" do you mean "strings"?

yes. of course you are right. I knew I was writing wrong.  :smack

in another post I talked about "chords" for the song Black Tie Jobs. but of course I meant "strings"

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2024, 10:22:36 AM »
So, from what you wrote, the only two up-tempo songs are AOTG,Two pairs of hand and Scavengers yard, right?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2024, 10:37:18 AM »
So, from what you wrote, the only two up-tempo songs are AOTG,Two pairs of hand and Scavengers yard, right?

Scavengers yard is in the same tempo/rhythm as broken bones

Janine and Before My Train Comes are "high" Mid tempo, almost "up" tempo... difficult to say.

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2024, 10:41:52 AM »

Scavengers yard is in the same tempo/rhythm as broken bones

Janine and Before My Train Comes are "high" Mid tempo, almost "up" tempo... difficult to say.
Thank you JF, always exhaustive in answers. :)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2024, 10:46:18 AM »

LE

you are right. I haven't feel the same ethousisam as DTRW yet.

to me it sounds like a quiet album. You know, the one you listen to at home, sit down on a rockin chair, close to the fire...
Nothing wrong about that, but I didn't find the excitation with a "dynamic" track like I had with trapper man, back on the dance floor,.. or the very touching one song at the time

I bet it will grown on me with time.

yes I find an "album feel", except for Scavengers Yard which is different from the rest, at least to my ears. A little bit like Broken bones doesn't fit with long ccol gril, silver eagle, lights of taormina, wherever I go or river town imho.

I'd say that One deep river album is "calm americana" style so to say....
this afternoon, I'm going to drive for a long trip (3h30) and I will listen to it to see/hear how it works on the  road. The weather is rainy, so not really the best context though

sorry for my average english, and a lot of typos in my posts...

JF, I am absolutely impressed how intensively and detailed you are willing to answer all these questions. No need to say sorry from your side, but a big thank you from my side!

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.