Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New video from New Zealand from 1985 tonight  (Read 2386 times)

OfflineKris-b

• Lady writer
New video from New Zealand from 1985 tonight
« on: July 28, 2023, 04:57:42 PM »
Tonight a new video from New Zealand 1985 will be shown on Knopflertk.
Can‘t wait to see this!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: New video from New Zealand from 1985 tonight
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 05:53:43 PM »
Too bad it's not April 26 from Sydney.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 12:11:52 AM »
This is a gem thanks for sharing.  Really cool to see the band at ease and with professional camera work and from a desk source for the sound.  Lovely Why Worry version with the long Outro as well as Man's Too Strong from 1986!

The comments says that the encores were not included. Clocking in at 1hr 34 with shows usually running to 2hrs 20 or 30 I think we can safely conclude Telegraph Road was indeed on the set that night probably accompanied by Solid Rock and Going Home.

Thanks to those who brought this video to YouTube.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 12:04:30 PM »
Fantastic indeed, to have other footage from the BIA tour!

This one is similar to Sydney - nice, but doesn't have the energy of Wembley 85. TOL final solo is rather short, similar in length to Alchemy's. TMTS is a bit slower compared to Wembley...

Nice to have, but nothing really new, would have loved to see a 1986 TR version properly recorded...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2023, 05:54:11 PM »
Fantastic indeed, to have other footage from the BIA tour!

This one is similar to Sydney - nice, but doesn't have the energy of Wembley 85. TOL final solo is rather short, similar in length to Alchemy's. TMTS is a bit slower compared to Wembley...

Nice to have, but nothing really new, would have loved to see a 1986 TR version properly recorded...

I think we should be more grateful.  There are some instances where it trumps the overrated (although still brilliant) Wembley '85: 

It is far more complete
The band are playing smoother and sounding better rehearsed   
BIA and SOS are arguably better
SFA is the rare calypso version
We also now have the later version of RATR with synths at the end
Overall I think the energy is good compared to Sydney, which looked like the end of a long residency at the end of a long tour!

I'm just loving this new stuff and find it interesting that they changed the set around to keep things as fresh as possible.  They even changed some of the arrangements as can be heard in RATR here compared to earlier versions.  They seemed to do that for the December UK shows.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2023, 06:25:36 PM »
I am grateful, I really appreciate this effort!
But I don't think Wembley 85 is overrated, it think it sounds fantastic, it has a very unique, perfect atmosphere. In 85 there was much more energy than in 86. The guitar tone also sounded much more natural. TOL had intro and break with musical quotes, and I find the end solo much better.
I disagree for BIA (the bombastic ending in 85 was unique) and SOS (Wembley is perfectly executed, in 86 it sounds a bit more tired).
Yes Sydney is a complete show whereas Wembley is partial, but this has nothing to do with the performance.
I agree though about RATR and the calypso version of SFA, these are '86 strong points!

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 06:39:12 PM »
All I remember from Sydney 1986 is how exhausted Mark was. He could barely open his eyes by the time of ToL or Brothers in Arms, and even made a few mistakes during those songs.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 09:46:44 PM »
It's all personal opinion and taste but Wembley 85 doesn't really do it for me and is probably one of the shows I listen to least. I prefer the performances later in the tour; from New York onwards they were really on fire and the songs were more developed.  RATR though from this new Adelaide recording is one of the best examples to me  sounds really good. Massive thanks again to those who have brought this out for all to see and hear.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2023, 10:02:29 PM »
Each part of the tour have interesting things.

TOL would be a difficult choice to make as I like very much both the short and the longer version.

I want all the available multi tracks to do my own mix and compilation!

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2023, 11:22:07 AM »
I agree that RATR was mor developped from late 85 (e.g. december 22th with EC the bootleg "cocaine") and sounds great with Jack's wah-wah at the end, but I would have prefered seeing Mark keeping the sunburst strat like on first leg of the tour.
TOL was at his best during autumn 85, with long breakdown and many musical quotes. On the wembley video, it's edited, and the breakdown is cut !

I also think that Wembley is overatted. To me it has nothing special. This show is very often quoted, but only because it was filmed and sounboard recorded ! excatly the same as Rockpalast for early years which is by far NOT the best performance of 78-79.
idem with Dortmund 80, it's not the best one from OL tour, and it doesn't have the complete setlist !
same thing with Basel and Nimes 92 : no rare tunes, standard setlist, no surprise, performance like many over dates...

But we keep praising these shows because they are the only ones avalaible in good formats.
So when someone is talking about DS bootlegs, the same ones come over and over in the conversation to compare performance

I prefer takling about Barbarella's 78, Amsterdam and Oslo 79, New York or Passaic 80, Wiesbaden 81, Wembley sheffield 82, stuttgart, Uniondale, Hammersmith 85, and many other ones... rather than the standards Rockpalast, Dortmund, Wembley, Sydney, Basel, Nimes...

of course the sound is not always perfect but you can hear some arrangements, some playing, some singing that you don't hear in "common" bootlegs

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2023, 11:22:50 AM »
Each part of the tour have interesting things.

TOL would be a difficult choice to make as I like very much both the short and the longer version.

I want all the available multi tracks to do my own mix and compilation!
I don't know why many people love so much the short TOL version from Sydney 86. No intro, no break, but above all, the guitar tone is less pristine than Wembley, and the end solo doesn't really work, going to nowhere I feel, whereas in Wembley you have a very powerful buildup and a very emotional solo.
For TOL I prefer Wembley to Alchemy, but I think I prefer Alchemy to Sydney - at least there is an intro, the tone is pristine, and the solo, albeit shorter, feels more natural to me.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2023, 11:33:38 AM »
I agree that RATR was mor developped from late 85 (e.g. december 22th with EC the bootleg "cocaine") and sounds great with Jack's wah-wah at the end, but I would have prefered seeing Mark keeping the sunburst strat like on first leg of the tour.
TOL was at his best during autumn 85, with long breakdown and many musical quotes. On the wembley video, it's edited, and the breakdown is cut !

I also think that Wembley is overatted. To me it has nothing special. This show is very often quoted, but only because it was filmed and sounboard recorded ! excatly the same as Rockpalast for early years which is by far NOT the best performance of 78-79.
idem with Dortmund 80, it's not the best one from OL tour, and it doesn't have the complete setlist !
same thing with Basel and Nimes 92 : no rare tunes, standard setlist, no surprise, performance like many over dates...

But we keep praising these shows because they are the only ones avalaible in good formats.
So when someone is talking about DS bootlegs, the same ones come over and over in the conversation to compare performance

I prefer takling about Barbarella's 78, Amsterdam and Oslo 79, New York or Passaic 80, Wiesbaden 81, Wembley sheffield 82, stuttgart, Uniondale, Hammersmith 85, and many other ones... rather than the standards Rockpalast, Dortmund, Wembley, Sydney, Basel, Nimes...

of course the sound is not always perfect but you can hear some arrangements, some playing, some singing that you don't hear in "common" bootlegs
I agree in principle, yes we tend to favor the shows that were filmed. But I still think Wembley 85 was a special night. I have listened to the other soundboards from 85 (Houston and San Antonio), and, at least for BIA and SOS, and EVEN MFN, SFA, TMTS,  I found them less "magical". Watching Wembley I think they are close to perfection. TOL is really great. Ok the break is edited, but no 100% cut, we still have Alan's great piano solo before resuming the song :)
For Rockpalast 79, I also feel that the versions are fantastic. Lions, News, In the Gallery, Single Handed Sailor, Follow me Home, Where do you think.... are perfectly executed! But it is true that Down to the Waterline is better on the last show of 79 (for which we are lucky to have have parts on the BBC Arena documentary on the Alchemy Blu-Ray) : faster, more energetic, Mark was a bit drunk... :)
I like very much DTTW, Lions and News from Dortmund 80. Very good versions!
Alchemy is great, enough said, and Basel and Nîmes 92 are very well executed, even if it is true that they don't have rarely played songs...

Anyway, recorded shows can be great too! :) I would be really happy with a blu-ray box of Rockpalast/Dortmund/Wembley/Sydney/Mandela/Nimes/Basel, plus à few extras like Skateway from Fridays, Portobello Belle from Alchemy, PONO and TOL from 92...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 11:38:05 AM by herlock »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2023, 07:15:19 PM »

Wholeheartedly agree with this.  Filmed shows often become the thing of legend and better shows sadly become forgotten.  I know a lot of people aren't interested in bootlegs and only like soundboard recordings but there are many excellent audience recordings out there and a lot of good music.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2023, 04:32:45 AM »
Maybe I missed something, but didn't the BIA tour stop off in Auckland on the 1st/2nd March 1986, not 85?
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflineKris-b

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2023, 08:35:08 AM »
 Yes, you are right.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.