Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Live recordings to be made available via Simfy! Official from Paul Crockford  (Read 158781 times)

Love Expresso

Last  night, I just wanted to listen to one or two songs, but then I was listening to the complete show at once with headphones, even Romeo, Telegraph Road and Brothers In Arms were not skipped - it was about 3:00 am when I was through.
Some observations:
Some dissonances during Coyote, but great guitar by Mark. You could see that he was "on" from this song on.
Hill Farmer: Everybody talks about goosebumps these days, at every occasion. I always thought of Goosebumps because of cold temperature and prefer more the term "shiver" as Mark used it in his first song... So I really got shivers when I heard this solo. Really phantastic.
Romeo had an unusual loud National sound, Mark was playing some interesting stuff.
Sultans was very unusual and special: Mark sang in a very "moody", rough way - which I like very much - and played some good licks. However, the very last part, the usual ending, was cut, Mark just gave a hint of the usual final. His introduction of Phil Cunningham was very nice and friendly, you could really hear how much Mark loved his appearance. So did I. Phil was on the record and therefore with them in the studio, which gives him another standing than some guests from the last tours like let's say Bonnie Raitt or Joe Brown. Mark said: "Phil played on the record, but now we gonna play some tunes that Phil doesn`t know.." with some laughter in his voice. Phil did a good job which made Mark say "Well, done, Phil!" - A very rare praise from the master in front of a great audience, notable without any doubt!
I talked about Donegan and Marbletown in my last post. Listened to both of them several times now and it is really a great 20 minutes of live atmosphere. When Mark introduces Matt Rollings and talks his usual "Food-Chain-Art-Tatum"-stuff, he mentions a new reference: The Monster Mash by Bobby Boris Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers-Five"... A nice variation and some band I never heard of before... of course...
Outstanding was also Piper to the End. I love this song in general but this version was another touching and emotional one.

Funny that I was not able to understand at least one cheer or shouting from the audience. This accent kills you I am sure. At one point Mark speaks it, too: After Bonaparte, he said to Phil "You've pleeyd beforr - one or two taimes" with a scottish accent...

Sorry for my long explanations. I short: Glasgow Show 2010: Very recommendable!  ;)

LE

OfflineTally

• Camerado
They're all doing the monster mash!  ;D

Could somebody explain this reference in Your Latest Trick and the concert mentioned above? Any connection or is it just a saying?

Love Expresso

I think it refers to the mentioned single "The Monster Mash" - from 1962. There was a dance that was orientated at the "Smashed Potatoe" dance from that era, and this dance was inspired by this song - and also called "The Monster Mash". In 1962, the BBC banned this song because it was "too morbid" with some strange sounds on it like a coffin opening and so on. So Mark maybe wanted to characterize the "morbid" atmosphere in Your Latest Trick , when Prehistoric garbage trucks Have the city to themselves Echoes and roars, dinosaurs They're all doing the monster mash

Source: Wikipedia!  ;D

This is from YouTube:

LE

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
Just downloaded the Newcastle show. Like Dusty, it was my only gig this tour.

The first note (MK holds it a few seconds before playing the 2nd note) on 'Going Home' literally made the hairs stand up on my neck (it always does actually!) - it was like reliving the entire show.

Hats off to Simfy and PC and Mk for making this possible. It is certainly a new concept in 'bootlegging' :-)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
LE,  Thank you for your review of the Glasgow concert.   I will bear it in mind to buy if the concerts I attended don't appear.  In fact I may buy it anyway!   :)

Tallgren,  The Monster Mash was a song from the early 60's by Bobby (Boris) Pickett!   :)   (Sorry, I overlapped )    ;D

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:06:25 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

It goes on and on:

At Simfy,

BIRMINGHAM AND CARDIFF are available! as Download AND also as Stick

MANCHESTER only as Stick, so far...

LE
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:04:10 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
It goes on and on:

At Simfy,

BIRMINGHAM AND CARDIFF are available! as Download AND also as Stick

MANCHESTER only as Stick, so far...

LE

MANCHESTER is also on download

http://simfylive.com/en/artist/3272/live-recordings/3075/4739/Mark-Knopfler-Get-Lucky-Tour---Live-in-Manchester.html

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Thank yoooou!   :D   I'm going to download Manchester right now!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

Yeah, I think they are just working on it right now! Let's have a look what is coming up next. I was coincidentally at their site at the right moment obviously!  :)

However, they do not have it in their directory on the left side. There are mentioned 48 sticks, but 47 downloads, and Manchester has a 1 in brackets...

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Yeah, I think they are just working on it right now! Let's have a look what is coming up next. I was coincidentally at their site at the right moment obviously!  :)

However, they do not have it in their directory on the left side. There are mentioned 48 sticks, but 47 downloads, and Manchester has a 1 in brackets...

LE

On my screen number is 48 for both - or maybe Germany is excluded?
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

Let's hope not. Newcastle, Glasgow and Cardiff are available, only Manchester is not. But let's not be impatient... I do not plan to download it anyway.
All the setlists are the same, apart from maybe Monteleone or Get Lucky which I have from Hamburg and London. I wonder why there is not any other
version of "Cleaning My Gun"....

LE

EDIT: They fixed it, Manchester now both available Stick and Download, in Germany also...

Cool!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:36:50 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Listening to Manchester now!   So far so good - just starting Sailing to Philadelphia.  Sound is very good too!   :)

LE, You mentioned that MK's guitar is loud for R&J on the Glasgow recording.  It is the same on the Manchester recording too, in fact MK is very prominent - more so than on my other Simfy recordings!   R&J is beautiful!   :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:44:04 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
these are the band's recordings people, let's not forget!!!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Pottel,  That is what I meant - these recordings may sound a bit different to the other Simfy recordings.  Not worse or better, just different!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

these are the band's recordings people, let's not forget!!!

Pottel,  That is what I meant - these recordings may sound a bit different to the other Simfy recordings.  Not worse or better, just different!    :)

what do you mean?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 51 queries.