Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK on Brexit  (Read 2127 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: MK on Brexit
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2024, 04:14:27 PM »
It's still on AMIT but Google translate isn't working on it. Ah well.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2024, 04:15:37 PM »
Honestly thought he was better than this.  Obviously I was wrong - he’s just another grumpy Guardian reading remoaner who doesn’t respect democracy.  Most people want to move on.

I also noted he’s gone woke and signed the Stephen Fry letter at the Garrick Club to allow women to join.  I only hope the leader of the opposition isn’t involved in the decision because he cannot define what a woman is!
He didn't join the woke mob on immigration though. He was quite brutal in the interview with the German magazine and even mentioned Sweden
I do think the song Janine is a little bit about that

What did he say?
Can't remember the exact words but I think he said that mass immigration was completely changing the character of cities and villages and that natives were starting to feel detached from where they used to belong. Something along those lines... And then he said he had a friend in Sweden who told him he was worried with the consequences of mass immigration in Sweden.
Then the interviewer pushed him with another question about it and he said something like: "It's not up to me to make more judgements about that"

But again, it's better to read the full interview because it's a very nice one. He speaks about topics he hasn't ever spoken about (immortality, etc.)

Is there an English version of this interview?
No, it's in German. But use google translate or other translation site and you can read it.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2024, 04:24:20 PM »
I don't have a source :( Is this the same interview in which Marek says that he doesn't believe in the afterlife?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2024, 04:24:31 PM »
Google Lens work well to translate it, that's what I used to translate that jpg images of German magazines.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2024, 04:25:33 PM »
Honestly thought he was better than this.  Obviously I was wrong - he’s just another grumpy Guardian reading remoaner who doesn’t respect democracy.  Most people want to move on.

I also noted he’s gone woke and signed the Stephen Fry letter at the Garrick Club to allow women to join.  I only hope the leader of the opposition isn’t involved in the decision because he cannot define what a woman is!
He didn't join the woke mob on immigration though. He was quite brutal in the interview with the German magazine and even mentioned Sweden
I do think the song Janine is a little bit about that

OK, I read using Google translate. He didn't join the "woke mob" but he didn't come down on either side. Basically to me he was saying that people should try to see both sides.

Anyway, I don't think Brexit really has anything to do with immigration, if it did then there wouldn't have been four times the number of legal migrants to the UK in 2022 than there were in 2019.

He was quite brutal about striking rail workers though!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2024, 04:30:14 PM »
That's what I was thinking, thank you Dusty. Do I remember correctly that there were doubts on the forum whether Mark answered these questions? :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2024, 04:34:11 PM »
That's what I was thinking, thank you Dusty. Do I remember correctly that there were doubts on the forum whether Mark answered these questions? :)

In that thread LE expressed some doubts but I think they were more around the translation.

Certainly the way I did it (English, to German, to English again) you could imagine there could be something lost in the translation. But even doing it that way he doesn't really say anything about his own views on immigration.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2024, 06:56:09 PM »
David Knopfler posted this on Facebook:

Good to see my brother Mark shares my wholly negative opinion about Brexit. Speaking to the Radio Times specifically about one aspect… the music industry, he said … “I think the Government has totally betrayed the musical community with Brexit. It’s just a nightmare trying to operate from Britain now in the music game. They said they’d take care of the music business, but they didn’t.” Good for him because at his level of touring it’s pretty easy to not see how badly it affects small and medium sized artists to say nothing of crew and ancillary folk.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2024, 07:13:54 PM »
Ok. Duet album next year.   ;D

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2024, 07:16:52 PM »
Got a link?
Unfortunately not. I read it when fellow member Stratmad published the photos of the interview, just before they got taken down by the mods. I'm sure he still has it, so try to contact him

Yes, I have it, but didn't scan it at the time (for copyright reasons). It was only the cover and my summary.

I remember that there was an unusual lot of politics in that interview, in the sense that they talked about a lot of political topics. But in fact, MK painstakingly avoided stating his own political views throughout the interview!  He would always quote what someone else might think, what someone might feel or be afraid of, what some people might believe etc. The only clear message was that he objects to extremism of any sort and sees it as the root of many negative developments in the past and now.
The other thing he observed (!) was that coping with change seems to be difficult for many people, which is why they turn to parties or groups that offer simple solutions.

This means (my interpretation!) two things: 
a) that MK is a) more than aware of what racism and xenophobia can lead to - they were mainly talking about Nazi Germany, but the parallel to other countries of the present was obvious.
 b) He is more open to change than most people and ready to adapt to new things. I mean, his entire biography is proof of that! Why not go with the flow and accept women at Garrick's, then?  :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2024, 07:18:18 PM »
Comments from an interview in the Radio Times:

"I think the Government has totally betrayed the musical community with Brexit. It’s just a nightmare trying to operate from Britain now in the music game. They said they’d take care of the music business, but they didn’t.”

Dusty, is that interview still available?

Offlinekempston_joystick

• Guitar George
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2024, 07:41:59 PM »
Regarding immigration, I recall an interview or two that revealed some bitterness toward the woman who knocked him off his bike.

Keeping in mind she was an illegal immigrant who didn't have a valid license, and the impact the accident had on his performing career, it's likely this might influence his views on immigration.

OfflineKris-b

• Lady writer
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2024, 08:01:31 PM »
Got a link?
Unfortunately not. I read it when fellow member Stratmad published the photos of the interview, just before they got taken down by the mods. I'm sure he still has it, so try to contact him

Yes, I have it, but didn't scan it at the time (for copyright reasons). It was only the cover and my summary.

I remember that there was an unusual lot of politics in that interview, in the sense that they talked about a lot of political topics. But in fact, MK painstakingly avoided stating his own political views throughout the interview!  He would always quote what someone else might think, what someone might feel or be afraid of, what some people might believe etc. The only clear message was that he objects to extremism of any sort and sees it as the root of many negative developments in the past and now.
The other thing he observed (!) was that coping with change seems to be difficult for many people, which is why they turn to parties or groups that offer simple solutions.

This means (my interpretation!) two things: 
a) that MK is a) more than aware of what racism and xenophobia can lead to - they were mainly talking about Nazi Germany, but the parallel to other countries of the present was obvious.
 b) He is more open to change than most people and ready to adapt to new things. I mean, his entire biography is proof of that! Why not go with the flow and accept women at Garrick's, then?  :-)

Exactly, that‘s how I understood the interview too.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2024, 08:32:36 PM »
Regarding immigration, I recall an interview or two that revealed some bitterness toward the woman who knocked him off his bike.

Keeping in mind she was an illegal immigrant who didn't have a valid license, and the impact the accident had on his performing career, it's likely this might influence his views on immigration.

I remember that, too. But maybe the hard feelings were more about the accident and the fact that she didn't apologise ("She could've asked how I was") than the fact that she was an immigrant. In fact, he said that he even said he felt a bit sorry for her!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 38 queries.