Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (10) Before my train comes  (Read 1878 times)

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: (10) Before my train comes
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2024, 09:29:58 PM »
For me, this is the most powerful and touching song of all the new ones.

I see a person living a normal life until they suddenly get sick "out of the blue". The diagnosis is devastating and they have a few months to live. The train is coming and all you can do is sort things out and say goodbye to your loved ones. Tell them all the things you never had a chance to say or didn't know how to say.

But wait - there is a lockdown, planes are grounded, and your loved ones are trapped far away. You will not have a chance to hold them, be with them, or say goodbye.
All you will have are memories that will "take you back in style. Some will fade forever, but I know some will not. All of yours mean a lot".

Maybe it's so moving because it tells my story, but from the other end. I was trapped when I lost someone close to me and couldn't say goodbye. This song gave me some closure.

The melody is deceptively uplifting, yet poignant. The train groove is great. The HPF is very high. This is top shelf MK stuff.

(HPF - haunting poignancy factor - my personal qualifier of what makes the music great for me)

Interesting and well-written points, I will revisit the song with this in mind!

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2024, 09:55:43 PM »
Sorry to hear about your loss, koobaa.
It's good that the song has helped you to cope with it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2024, 10:02:28 PM »

I see a person living a normal life until they suddenly get sick "out of the blue". The diagnosis is devastating and they have a few months to live. The train is coming and all you can do is sort things out and say goodbye to your loved ones. Tell them all the things you never had a chance to say or didn't know how to say.

But wait - there is a lockdown, planes are grounded, and your loved ones are trapped far away. You will not have a chance to hold them, be with them, or say goodbye.
All you will have are memories that will "take you back in style. Some will fade forever, but I know some will not. All of yours mean a lot".

Maybe it's so moving because it tells my story, but from the other end. I was trapped when I lost someone close to me and couldn't say goodbye. This song gave me some closure.

The melody is deceptively uplifting, yet poignant. The train groove is great. The HPF is very high. This is top shelf MK stuff.

(HPF - haunting poignancy factor - my personal qualifier of what makes the music great for me)

This is a touching story and also close to me. It is amazing that Mark very often makes music that has no trace of suffering or sadness but when we read into the words we have the full picture. I really like his creative process, the music sounds optimistic but the words are not optimistic. Another example is the song: This One's Not Going To End Well.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 10:05:29 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2024, 11:23:38 PM »

I enjoyed reading your comment and I resonate with it a lot. I also lost my grandfather in december 2020, never got to say goodbye or see him a final time due to hospital restrictions during covid19.
This song brings some comfort in a strange way, the same way Love Over Gold did for me, for different reasons, when I was a teenager.

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2024, 12:24:18 AM »
Thanks all. The song does help indeed.

I wanted to thank Mark personally and take him out for a beer or something, but he doesn't answer his email.   ;)
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2024, 11:51:21 PM »

I wanted to thank Mark personally and take him out for a beer or something, but he doesn't answer his email.   ;)

I would also like to extend my condolences and thoughts to you koobaa. You along with two others from our beautiful AMIT family didn't hesitate when I asked you to help me listen to this collection of Mark's masterpieces. News that my package had been delayed 2-3 weeks was not what I had wanted to hear. Arrived May 1st .
Later today in 8-hours, AMIT TV will have a premiere of this attempted visualisation of IMHO the most HPF, yet uplifting gem from Mark's palate.

Just google AMIT TV Knopfler - I'm too wasted from all of the sleepness nights, and wanting to capture all of the feelings that were racing through me, to go and get the link from my PC.
My poor dear wife of 45-years (this Tuesday) will also be relieved as I'm hopless in these circumstances.
I've always been a worrier so whilst looking at our egagement picture on the hutch recently I said to her that my blank expression may have been due to this? "Had I just been captivated by her pretty face"? 45-years later and I'm happy to report that I dug up a diamond, rare and fine, a real angel of mercy!

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2024, 12:09:59 AM »
What is HPF?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2024, 12:52:51 AM »
HPF - Haunting Poignancy Factor  ;)

Thanks Shangri La for sharing your draft video. It captures the essence of the song really well IMHO.

All the best for you!
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2024, 11:46:32 AM »

My sincere condolences my friend. Similar to you I found solace with an MK song when my late father passed 12 years ago - 'Piper to the end' as my Dad loved it!  Was played at his funeral too... I actually asked Guy to thank Mark via Dr Fletch and had a reply.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 11:56:21 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 36 queries.