Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (11) This one’s not going to end well  (Read 4230 times)

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
Re: (11) This one’s not going to end well
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2024, 11:42:45 PM »
I like it. So sad, il recalls me Raglan Road
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Offlineneco

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2024, 03:23:56 PM »
This one is such a beautiful song, also soundwise, lovely acoustic fingerpicking with the folkies  :clap

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2024, 10:37:36 PM »
I can easily imagine Leonard Cohen singing this one. It has that Cohen vibe, maybe it's the chord progression. 
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2024, 08:52:21 PM »
I love this song more with every listening. Yes, I do miss the virtuoso guitar of old, too (who wouldn't, I'm sure Mark does himself), but this song is proof that he's perfectly capable of producing great songs without any twiddly parts.

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2024, 08:57:30 PM »
I love this song more with every listening. Yes, I do miss the virtuoso guitar of old, too (who wouldn't, I'm sure Mark does himself), but this song is proof that he's perfectly capable of producing great songs without any twiddly parts.

That's true! We often want more guitar, guitar solo, because this is MK's trademark. And Mark sees it differently. He is reserved and economical.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineoscar

• Guitar George
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2024, 03:59:21 PM »
I really love Mark's songwriting and there are (several) times I take his lyrics quite literally, but for this one, the way I see it is more how he uses images to the past to talk about present issues. Like as saying humans will never change no matter when in time.

OfflineFabioSorbello

• Guitar George
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2024, 12:35:46 AM »
In my view, in the song ‘This One is Not Going to End Well’, Knopfler shares his concern about the current major threat to world peace that is represented by Vladimir Putin.

Knopfler was born few years after the end of World War 2 and all his family was very much affected by that conflict. Throughout his career, he has written several songs about the madness of wars, including the eternal ‘Brothers in Arms’.

Knopfler is open about the irreversible course of international crisis and admits to himself and his audience that ‘this one is not going to end well for ANYONE’.

Knopfler feels completely helpless about the future ahead. He doesn’t lie saying ‘things will be alright in the end’ as a blind optimist could say. Instead he is honest about it. He portrays a brighter future AFTER World War 3 where ‘traders will trade / Fliers will fly, seafarers will ride on the swell / Shading their eyes in the glare of the sun. [..] The gypsy will smile / And the poets will dream..’

Knopfler is objectivewhen he concludes the song describing how the course of history will repeat itself once again after Putin is gone: ‘after he's gone, they'll whip up old lies / To ride into power, and history comes back from hell / (to) Give a tyrant his way with the club and the gun.

Overall, the lyrics paint a bleak picture of the current state of affairs and political conflict, while also acknowledging the resilience of the human spirit and the persistence of hope in the face of adversity.

Below is a brief commentary about some of the key lines of the song. The key word to me is ‘Anyone’

1. **"This one's not going to end well":** This sets the tone for the entire song, conveying a sense of foreboding and inevitability regarding the current situation, likely referring to the geopolitical tensions and the actions of Vladimir Putin.

2. **"But after he's gone, the traders will trade":** Here, Knopfler suggests that even after Putin is gone, life will go on, and economic activities like trade will resume.

3. **"Fliers will fly, seafarers will ride on the swell / Shading their eyes in the glare of the sun":** This imagery paints a picture of normalcy returning after the turmoil, with people going about their everyday activities under the sun.

4. **"Though this one's not going to end well / For anyone":** Despite the resumption of normal activities, Knopfler emphasizes that the situation will still have dire consequences for everyone involved.

5. **"But after he's gone, the gypsy will smile / And the poets will dream":** Knopfler suggests that even in the aftermath of conflict, there will still be moments of joy and creativity, symbolized by the gypsy's smile and the poets' dreams.

6. **"And their fortunes in crystal she'll tell / As she looks in the glass where the stories are spun":** This line adds to the mystical imagery, implying that even in turbulent times, people will seek guidance and meaning through storytelling and fortune-telling.

7. **"Chained to the oars below / Or bound to the wheel / Drums beating hard and slow / Under the heel":** These lines evoke a sense of oppression and suffering, perhaps reflecting the plight of those caught in the midst of conflict and tyranny.

8. **"Still after he's gone, they'll whip up old lies / To ride into power, and history comes back from hell":** Knopfler warns that even after the current leader is gone, the cycle of manipulation and power-seeking will continue, with history repeating itself.

9. **"This one's not going to end well / For anyone":** The repetition of this line reinforces the overarching theme of the song, driving home the idea that the current situation spells disaster for all involved.

This One’s Not Going To End Well   4:00

This one's not going to end well
But after he's gone, the traders will trade
Fliers will fly, seafarers will ride on the swell
Shading their eyes in the glare of the sun
Though this one's not going to end well
For anyone

But after he's gone, the gypsy will smile
And the poets will dream
And their fortunes in crystal she'll tell
As she looks in the glass where the stories are spun
Though this one's not going to end well
For anyone

Chained to the oars below
Or bound to the wheel
Drums beating hard and slow
Under the heel

Still after he's gone, they'll whip up old lies
To ride into power, and history comes back from hell
Give a tyrant his way with the club and the gun
For anyone

For anyone
There are lots of lovely things in the worlds and then there is Mark... And he is unique and irreplaceable!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 34 queries.