Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits  (Read 79002 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits
« Reply #225 on: November 11, 2021, 09:34:03 PM »
Please don't spoil any details!
I’ve put a spoiler tag on the thread, people should stay away until they have read it.

It’s a short book so won’t take long.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #226 on: November 11, 2021, 09:47:48 PM »
I’ve put a spoiler tag on the thread, people should stay away until they have read it.

It’s a short book so won’t take long.

Not long at all!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #227 on: November 12, 2021, 08:10:39 AM »

There is no way to spoil as we know more or less the 90% of the story John tells, and some of the things in the book are not really what happened but his view, or the interpretation that made the person who wrote the book after the conversation with John.

For example, the "reason" why Terry wasn't on OES is not true, according to Terry. And I'm not telling what the book says, but what the book says is not the truth according to Terry.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2021, 08:20:28 AM »
There is no way to spoil as we know more or less the 90% of the story John tells, and some of the things in the book are not really what happened but his view, or the interpretation that made the person who wrote the book after the conversation with John.

For example, the "reason" why Terry wasn't on OES is not true, according to Terry. And I'm not telling what the book says, but what the book says is not the truth according to Terry.
Huh ? The book does not actually state any reason for it... I was curious about that too, I have the book in electronic format, I searched all the occurences of "Terry" and could not find any reason stated..
By the way what did Terry say the reason was ? Can't remember. Just remember Guy stating on his forum that "Terry did not meet the grade for OES" which I find it hard to swallow. Terry would have been a much better choice than Chris Withen IMHO.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #229 on: November 12, 2021, 08:24:55 AM »

Huh ? The book does not actually state any reason for it... I was curious about that too, I have the book in electronic format, I searched all the occurences of "Terry" and could not find any reason stated..
By the way what did Terry say the reason was ? Can't remember. Just remember Guy stating on his forum that "Terry did not meet the grade for OES" which I find it hard to swallow. Terry would have been a much better choice than Chris Withen IMHO.

Terry not "jazzy" enough? To be honest, I'm not interested a lot in relationships within a band, I hope to read more about lifestyle, songs, etc. But I'm not expecting much, in fact, I expect to learn nothing new.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #230 on: November 12, 2021, 08:26:11 AM »

The book says that Terry left the band after the Mandela concert, which is wrong because Terry was at the Newcastle 89 charity gig and according to him, he never left the band, he heard that DS were back in the press and then he realised that, apparently, he wasn't part of the band anymore... and he wasn't. He called his manager, his manager called Bicknell, and they knew that way that DS had a new drummer and he won't be part of the last years of the band.

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2021, 08:29:16 AM »

I don't intend to read the book for now or at least I don't mind being spoiled so, if spoilers are allowed here, what was the "real" reason why both Terry and Hal left the band?

And also, admitting that John Illsley didn't write the book, why is the book under his name? It's true though that I can't see any mention of the book on John's site.

It could well have been something like : "My life in Dire Straits" by XXX with the help of John Illsely so I don't quite get it here  :hmm

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #232 on: November 12, 2021, 08:30:38 AM »
The book says that Terry left the band after the Mandela concert, which is wrong because Terry was at the Newcastle 89 charity gig and according to him, he never left the band, he heard that DS were back in the press and then he realised that, apparently, he wasn't part of the band anymore... and he wasn't. He called his manager, his manager called Bicknell, and they knew that way that DS had a new drummer and he won't be part of the last years of the band.

Well, if it's true it's harsh, to say the least. I don't know MK and co so I can't comment for sure but, would it be true, I wouldn't be too surprised. There are a lot of band members departures that have remained a complete mystery over the years : David, Hal, Terry, Jack, Chad, as good as it gets. Not to mention the eviction of musicians like Bobby Valentino, Danny C. or Chris White who was still on the KTGC record. And then…?

Have I forgotten someone?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 08:36:20 AM by NicoMK »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #233 on: November 12, 2021, 08:30:44 AM »

I see, thanks. If that's true that's really bad...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #234 on: November 12, 2021, 08:35:50 AM »

I don't intend to read the book for now or at least I don't mind being spoiled so, if spoilers are allowed here, what was the "real" reason why both Terry and Hal left the band?

And also, admitting that John Illsley didn't write the book, why is the book under his name? It's true though that I can't see any mention of the book on John's site.

It could well have been something like : "My life in Dire Straits" by XXX with the help of John Illsely so I don't quite get it here  :hmm

About Terry, I mentioned in a previous post.

About Hal, is too surreal to explain without reading.

Biographies are usually not written by the person, are usually made through a conversatio and the writer takes notes and record it to then type it into what would be the book. It's not like writing really but transcribing the notes and recordings, and that sometimes leds to write things that are not exactly what the person said, as usually what is written has to follow a "style" that can be readable. Who does that usually works for the book company who publish it.

Also, the person usually takes a read to correct mistakes. That didn't happen this time, so there are mistakes in the book and also some things written in a way that John doesn't like, but it was too late to correct.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #235 on: November 12, 2021, 08:38:48 AM »

Well, if it's true it's harsh, to say the least.

Jack Sonni knew he was out of the band in a similar way, after not being able to attend the Mandela concert as he was having their twin girls born, he knew MK was in town and was expecting his calling, but he didn't call him, so Jack call MK and he was not available for his old friend, and then nothing. In Jack's case, it was really hard as Mk and him were friends. Terry was a hired musician after all, but Jack was a friend.

That was MK.

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #236 on: November 12, 2021, 09:09:19 AM »

If MK wanted to record the OES record with other drummers -- which actually happened -- well, fair enough. Considering the fact that neither Jeff Porcaro nor Manu Katche wanted to go on tour, I don't understand why Mark didn't asked Terry W. to re-join the band in the first place. And I'm saying this not being a huge fan of Terry's style.

But I think it would have been honest form Mark and management to proceed that way.

I'm saying this but once again none of us (to my knowledge) knew what really happened in the band. Even today we don't really know…
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 09:46:38 AM by NicoMK »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #237 on: November 12, 2021, 09:26:29 AM »

If MK wanted to record the OES record with other drummers -- which actually happened -- well, fair enough. Considering the fact that neither Jeff Porcaro or Manu Katche wanted to go on tour, I don't understand why Mark asked Terry W. to re-join the band in the first place. And I'm saying this not being a huge fan of Terry's style.

But I think it would have been honest form Mark and management to proceed that way.

I'm saying this but once again none of us (to my knowledge) knew what really happened in the band. Even today we don't really know…

Sometimes things just happen, not always for a particular reason. I've had numerous relationships in my life that just "ended", no reasons, no nothing, so it's safe to say sometimes even the parties involved don't know the reason for the breakup. Mark seems like the guy who would not always care about getting overly sentimental about and thinking too much about some people around since he's quite busy. And I believe some people are simply expecting too much from MK, this including his fans, haha :lol

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2021, 09:54:22 AM »
I won't be buying the book, especially with so many inaccuracies and the fact that John may not have written it himself, which is disappointing.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2021, 10:24:06 AM »
Is the copywrite given to John Illsley?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 39 queries.