Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits  (Read 78947 times)

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
Re: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits
« Reply #240 on: November 12, 2021, 12:29:03 PM »
I won't be buying the book, especially with so many inaccuracies and the fact that John may not have written it himself, which is disappointing.
Maybe get the audiobook version. Apart from the contents and inaccuaries it is worth to listen to Mark's and John's voices.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #241 on: November 12, 2021, 12:51:44 PM »
I won't be buying the book, especially with so many inaccuracies and the fact that John may not have written it himself, which is disappointing.
Maybe get the audiobook version. Apart from the contents and inaccuaries it is worth to listen to Mark's and John's voices.

Robby Krieger whom I mentioned before already, wrote the book with this guy, and he has mentioned him on the cover also: https://www.littlebrown.com/titles/robby-krieger/set-the-night-on-fire/9780316243544/

What bugs me, is that if John narrated the book for the audio version, that means he read it at least once and hence proofread it, so inaccuracies are unacceptable to me. Why any fan can read it and go "that's not true", and a band member write it, read it, narrate it and get it wrong? I don't understand.

By the way, in The British Grove Broadcast to my knowledge, Mark never made a single factual mistake. It's an extremely well-written show.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #242 on: November 12, 2021, 12:55:51 PM »

Robby Krieger whom I mentioned before already, wrote the book with this guy, and he has mentioned him on the cover also: https://www.littlebrown.com/titles/robby-krieger/set-the-night-on-fire/9780316243544/

What bugs me, is that if John narrated the book for the audio version, that means he read it at least once and hence proofread it, so inaccuracies are unacceptable to me. Why any fan can read it and go "that's not true", and a band member write it, read it, narrate it and get it wrong? I don't understand.

By the way, in The British Grove Broadcast to my knowledge, Mark never made a single factual mistake. It's an extremely well-written show.

good point: in preparation for the recording of the audiobook John must have "studied" the book.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #243 on: November 12, 2021, 01:19:13 PM »
But what mistakes? About Terry Willimas? A little oblivion.  Examples?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2021, 01:32:54 PM »

I insist that none of the autobiographies are written by the people in the cover.

The book has inaccuracies, but lot of great stories. David's departure is covered very nicely, in my opinion, it shows how much John cared for David, actually John talks very well about David along the book.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #245 on: November 12, 2021, 01:34:57 PM »

Because it was too late to correct it, the machinery was already going on, probably the books were already printed, or in the process. It's true that he should had checked it before.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #246 on: November 12, 2021, 02:14:24 PM »
Something funny for me, in this kind of biographies, is how much and apparently with so many details, people remember things that happened way back in time, but tend to forget or explain very quickly, things in the near present or near past.

John's book it's not an exception, it's very detailed about everything more or less until the BIA tour, then the OES one goes quite fast, and suddenly, the book has reached the end.

However, I like the stories about the very first DS tour and that gig they did for just two people, and also the process of recording Making Movies.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #247 on: November 12, 2021, 04:26:29 PM »
Is the copywrite given to John Illsley?

There are no other names mentioned!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #248 on: November 12, 2021, 06:01:43 PM »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #249 on: November 12, 2021, 07:15:34 PM »
I have to admitt being a little disappointed that John hasn't written the book himself. If that is true, we have to take it as it is.
If we want to hear the real story about the band there is only one person who can tell. But he never will! 
So, I will appreciate John's book because there is not much written word about the biggest band in the world.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #250 on: November 12, 2021, 08:49:55 PM »
Again, as Julio has said, most rock biographies are written by a ghost writer based on conversations with the subject.

Everyone here should buy the book, you will enjoy it. Even if John had written it himself, he will have forgotten things that happened 40 years ago, or got things mixed up.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #251 on: November 12, 2021, 08:55:04 PM »
Again, as Julio has said, most rock biographies are written by a ghost writer based on conversations with the subject.

Everyone here should buy the book, you will enjoy it. Even if John had written it himself, he will have forgotten things that happened 40 years ago, or got things mixed up.

Ghosts are everywhere
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
« Reply #252 on: November 12, 2021, 10:15:46 PM »
Fantastic read, really enjoyed every moment.
Could not put it down and just read it straight through in 6 hours..
Was a very honest, funny and insightful read...

John was direct and frank, but was also diplomatic when addressing the spicy parts of Dire Straits' history..

:)

hunter

« Reply #253 on: November 13, 2021, 02:08:52 AM »

Ghosts are everywhere

Someone call the Ghostbusters, please. I'm getting a little tired of this.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #254 on: November 13, 2021, 08:37:29 AM »
OK - Ordered!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 37 queries.