Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits  (Read 79021 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits
« Reply #270 on: November 14, 2021, 08:22:39 PM »
I heard that the foreword is quite short. Is it interesting anyway?

LE
Not really.
It is actually very disappointing. I don't think Mark spent more than 2 minutes on it...

Yes but what do you expect from someone who is not even interested
in releasing his own bluray concerts from so many tours ?

He lives in another dimension
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #271 on: November 14, 2021, 09:51:44 PM »

The lattest tours are almost fully available in audio format. This is not an empty glass.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #272 on: November 14, 2021, 09:54:53 PM »
I am eagerly waiting for Blu-rays myself, but honestly I think you can't compare that. If he is willing to deliver something for John's book, I just expect him to deliver something good and worthy or he should have said No. I guess it's his humbleness that made him write it so short. He knows of course that his foreword gives the book more value, so it's a narrow path for him between ego and humbleness.

LE
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 09:59:24 PM by Love Expresso »

Love Expresso

« Reply #273 on: November 14, 2021, 09:57:11 PM »

The lattest tours are almost fully available in audio format. This is not an empty glass.

That is true as a fact and on paper, but the sound quality of the last tour recordings was not that good that you could compare  them with official releases, wasn't it? Don't know too much about the last tour but 2013 and 2015 needed a very long time till the recordings got at least a decent sound. More than half the tour I would say.

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #274 on: November 14, 2021, 10:43:36 PM »

That is true as a fact and on paper, but the sound quality of the last tour recordings was not that good that you could compare  them with official releases, wasn't it? Don't know too much about the last tour but 2013 and 2015 needed a very long time till the recordings got at least a decent sound. More than half the tour I would say.

LE

A short foreword is just pure MK. I think fans need to accept the fact that Mark is just not your typical modern star. He doesn't post on Instagram and TikTok, or Twitter, he rarely gives interviews, he doesn't do Wired Google Autocomplete interviews, Reddit's AMA, he doesn't go to Graham Norton Show, he's out of the spotlight. He doesn't even write books, he only writes obituaries occasionally that are the most boring and plain obituaries in the world, so a foreword a little bit longer that is already a miracle. Expectancies and Mark Knopfler are not the words that go together well.

P.S. Never listened to a single live recording, not even shows I attended. Just not my format at all... I'm more inclined into production, maybe even a couple of fixed mistakes, why not? You make something that will last, that's what Mark said about his own songs. With live recordings, he makes not something that last, he makes live recordings with all the mistakes, weird sounds and oddities, him shouting to the crew, etc.. I'm sure live recordings bring a decent amount of money though! A Live album is something thought through, that will last. I remember all the great live albums, A Black & White Night, Eagles Live, and even Marks live albums, they're all great. I don't care about mixing and even fixing something, as long as it sounds good, I'm in!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #275 on: November 15, 2021, 01:05:12 AM »

oh please, those crap soundboards with horrible sounds and mixing are laughable at best,
they are in another dimension just like MK, the guitar god who tours with a computer simulation of his own amps (kemper)

everything is in decay, what's next? he tours with an ibanez and not a gibson or a pensa ?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 01:15:48 AM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

hunter

« Reply #276 on: November 15, 2021, 09:09:53 AM »
A bit off topic?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #277 on: November 15, 2021, 10:09:06 AM »

oh please, those crap soundboards with horrible sounds and mixing are laughable at best,
they are in another dimension just like MK, the guitar god who tours with a computer simulation of his own amps (kemper)

everything is in decay, what's next? he tours with an ibanez and not a gibson or a pensa ?

Mike Rutherford is touring with a £100 Squier...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #278 on: November 15, 2021, 12:35:08 PM »

Squier is my favourite guitar brand on the planet. Easily the best value for money! I think Mark doesn't live in a different dimension, but rather embrace 21st-century technology. I think he'd kill to get this set up back in the 80s or something! Mark lives in a normal dimension, it's just nobody knows him and that's all. Who knows what else he's doing not the way we do it!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2021, 12:53:01 PM »
Not to derail things but 99.999999% of people who saw the last tour wouldn't have thought there was anything different about his guitar tone.

Even us cork sniffers, were people complaining about his sound on the early shows, before we found out he was using Kemper?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #280 on: November 15, 2021, 12:53:37 PM »

I remember attending a Peter Frampton concert in Madrid about 15 years ago more or less, he plays usually with the best Gibson and Fender guitars, and when playing his mega hit (which I dislike a lot) "baby I love your way" he played it with a very cheap copy of Fender, curiously one my brother have, I think it was Saeltan or something like that, I was quite amazed that he was using a very cheap copy of Fender to play his mega hit...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #281 on: November 15, 2021, 01:07:15 PM »
MK used mexican strats at the 2002 shows and sounded great.

The Silvertone he uses for Boom Like That and some others was a mail order catalogue guitar.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #282 on: November 15, 2021, 03:13:53 PM »

ok, let's go with a £100 Squier and a £100 amplifier, what a nice tour

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #283 on: November 15, 2021, 03:19:58 PM »
Not to derail things but 99.999999% of people who saw the last tour wouldn't have thought there was anything different about his guitar tone.

Even us cork sniffers, were people complaining about his sound on the early shows, before we found out he was using Kemper?

Most people I talked to noticed there was something wrong, it's still overall enjoyable but that doesn't mean it's a perfect 10/10 as using a real amp

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #284 on: November 15, 2021, 03:22:22 PM »
MK used mexican strats at the 2002 shows and sounded great.

The Silvertone he uses for Boom Like That and some others was a mail order catalogue guitar.

A cheap/decent Fender/Squier is still much better than an Ibanez for DS/MK songs

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 41 queries.