Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits  (Read 79018 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits
« Reply #330 on: November 19, 2021, 03:58:02 PM »
According to Alan, John recognized that mistake and apologized for it, as it was too late to correct that.

We already mentioned there were some mistakes in the book, didn't we?

Alan says John is forgivable after 36 years, how exactly do we know Alan is right after 36 years ?

how do we know John really apologized ?

even if it 'happened', maybe John 'apologized' just to avoid any further discussion with Alan The Child

There's no way Mark wants to reunite DS with this child

And at the end of the day who really cares??!!!

exactly

If you (Alan) really wrote that, you should have asked for official mention/credits in 1985 36 years ago

if you didn't ask or didn't get it for whatever reason, just shut up, especially after such a long time

That's not that easy, because there is a very thin line between "contribute" and "have a credit" and when that line is passed you have to choose between have your credit and probably loose your job, or don't say a thing and keep your job.

I'm friend with a bassist and a drummer who plays with some of the most important bands in Spain and always tell me about this things.

But also there is a big difference between saying the "I want my MTV" was its idea and claim for a credit. Alan is just stating something that happened, an idea he had that contributed to the song. Nothing more.

As MK is our idol, sometimes we see anything the others say like MK is being attacked and we have to defend him against the others.

Sometimes it's we who are THE CHILD.

You must be blind, I attack MK myself often when it is appropriate, for example when he tours with a kemper which is really ridiculous or when he doesn't release any Bluray concert after 26 years of solo career

Did you see MK interviewed by Brian Johnson ? MK explicitly says he copied the 'I want my MTV' little melody from Sting,
now Alan Clark out of nothing after 36 years says it's his idea, zero credibility
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2021, 03:58:37 PM »
I notice on Alan Clark's web page that he is 'correcting' a mistake in the book in that he actually came up with 'I want my MTV' rather than MK.

And here's me thinking it was Sting!  :lol

Actually there was an MTV spot where The Police said 'I want my mtv' so it might be idea of Alan to use that sentence, as it was Guy's idea the synth and drum intro to the song.
I think it was a catchphrase that lots of bands said on the channel?

Maybe, I only watched that one by The Police in some documentaries. Never had the MTV when it was a music channel, and not the shitty shit programs it's nowadays.

And obviously, not MTV at all in Spain in the 80's.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2021, 04:01:16 PM »
According to Alan, John recognized that mistake and apologized for it, as it was too late to correct that.

Alan says John is forgivable after 36 years, how exactly do we know Alan is right after 36 years ?

even if it 'happened', maybe John 'apologized' just to avoid any further discussion with Alan The Child

exactly

If you (Alan) really wrote that, you should have asked for official mention/credits in 1985 36 years ago

if you didn't ask or didn't get it for whatever reason, just shut up, especially after such a long time

That's not that easy, because there is a very thin line between "contribute" and "have a credit" and when that line is passed you have to choose between have your credit and probably loose your job, or don't say a thing and keep your job.

I'm friend with a bassist and a drummer who plays with some of the most important bands in Spain and always tell me about this things.

But also there is a big difference between saying the "I want my MTV" was its idea and claim for a credit. Alan is just stating something that happened, an idea he had that contributed to the song. Nothing more.

As MK is our idol, sometimes we see anything the others say like MK is being attacked and we have to defend him against the others.

You must be blind, I attack MK myself often when it is appropriate, for example when he tours with a kemper which is really ridiculous or when he doesn't release any Bluray concert after 26 years of solo career

Did you see MK interviewed by Brian Johnson ? MK explicitly says he copied the 'I want my MTV' little melody from Sting,
now Alan Clark out of nothing after 36 years says it's his idea, zero credibility

You are talking about the melody, not the sentence.

MK used the "don't stand so close to me" Police's melody to sing the "I want my MTV" sentence, and to include that sentence in the song was Alan's idea. Fit perfectly.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2021, 04:07:11 PM »

exactly

MK used the "don't stand so close to me" Police's melody to sing the "I want my MTV" sentence, and to include that sentence in the song was Alan's idea. Fit perfectly.

Don't twist words

Alan Clark wrote there was NO intro at all, there was NO I want my MTV soundbite and out of nothing he created it
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2021, 04:58:28 PM »
There is also a book :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineCamerado

• Guitar George
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2021, 05:20:39 PM »
Mine, I guess will arrive late thanks to Brexit. Ordered the waterstones signed edition that comes from the UK, so it will remain in customs until they decide how much I should pay, before they let it arrive my home.

I avoid buying from the UK for that reason, last items I ordered from there I have to pay in customs almost the same that I paid for the items (that's paying twice for the same) but I let myself go with the signing edition, so, my fault to be caught again in this Brexit nightmare.

Good old Brexit squeezes in again and NO you won't have to pay any Customs charges for the book! 0% for books...

Mind you that's no different than me having to pay customs to get Bonamassa items from America - and no that's not a Brexit thing.

I'm glad to hear that and I hope you're right and have to pay zero in customs for it.

I don't buy from NA except for extra rare promo items or only released stuff there, luckily. In the contrary, I used to buy a lot in British shops through eBay or discogs, now I avoid them, and it's a pity, but it's what it is. It's not political but the way it affects people's lifes and it's because of Brexit, customers from outside the UK have to pay extra money in customs for items bought there.

Also, it makes the order to arrive later than usual.

I had to pay € 6 here in The Netherlands and received the book after 5 days.
Pennies from heaven, don't make me laugh...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2021, 05:28:02 PM »
It’s not even the same melody…
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2021, 05:33:05 PM »

exactly

Don't twist words

Alan Clark wrote there was NO intro at all, there was NO I want my MTV soundbite and out of nothing he created it

It is you who is twisting it, but congrats, you really bored me with this to death, so, whatever you want.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2021, 05:45:14 PM »
It is you who is twisting it, but congrats, you really bored me with this to death, so, whatever you want.

bored to death after just 3 messages says it all

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2021, 06:17:58 PM »

I think it is. It's the same line as the ones in verses in Police' song

for example at 0:40

https://youtu.be/EuuX_t3c_2A?t=40

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #340 on: November 19, 2021, 06:53:00 PM »

Yes same melody, as MK said in the Brian Johnson interview

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #341 on: November 19, 2021, 07:28:11 PM »

bored to death after just 3 messages says it all

What says it all is that you have very clear and strong prejudice against Alan, and you showed it everytime you can, so it doesn't make sense that I try to make clear why you are wrong, because whatever I say, you are gonna read it through the glass of your prejudice, so, why bother?

That, says it all.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #342 on: November 19, 2021, 07:30:17 PM »

I know they SAY it’s the same melody, and it has the same number of syllables.

But listen to the two of them, sing in your head, play on a guitar or a piano.

Similar, but not the same…

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #343 on: November 19, 2021, 07:37:27 PM »

I never found the similarity. I know both songs very well and, well, whatever.

As far as I recall, Sting was embarrassed by sharing credits in MFN for that, but his manager insisted, and also his lawyer, asked by his manager. I don't know why MK accepted that, probably they get on well but I wouldn't say they were friends enough to share a credit for the first time (what's the matter baby was officially released in 1995, the only other song with shared credits in DS), or maybe because of they were not friends enough, he had to allow that...

For me it's stupid, the melody is similar in a way, but not as much for that.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2021, 07:45:53 PM »
Agree 100%.

It’s more like the melody in the verse, which is in a minor key, but the chorus where it actually says don’t stand so close to me is in a major key.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 35 queries.