Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits  (Read 79027 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits
« Reply #390 on: November 23, 2021, 01:55:10 PM »
About Dire Straits, besides the MFN intro idea, who wrote the intro, etc, there are songs that we know must had more than contributions.

For example, we know TR was developed by MK and Alan, hand by hand, during the soundchecks of the On Location tour, it's MK song but, where Alan's contributions ends as such and develope into co-composing? A grey line.

Also, we know that Paul Franklin was playing some steel guitar warm up licks, Jeff Porcaro followed him, and MK liked so much that he included that in "Calling Elvis". Does it means that Franklin and Porcaro deserve credits for creating one of the main rythmic parts of the song? Or it was just a contribution?

I'm sure that there are lot of more examples, as Quizzy mentioned the Richard Bennett intro for "Rüdiger".
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #391 on: November 23, 2021, 02:04:01 PM »
About Dire Straits, besides the MFN intro idea, who wrote the intro, etc, there are songs that we know must had more than contributions.

For example, we know TR was developed by MK and Alan, hand by hand, during the soundchecks of the On Location tour, it's MK song but, where Alan's contributions ends as such and develope into co-composing? A grey line.

Also, we know that Paul Franklin was playing some steel guitar warm up licks, Jeff Porcaro followed him, and MK liked so much that he included that in "Calling Elvis". Does it means that Franklin and Porcaro deserve credits for creating one of the main rythmic parts of the song? Or it was just a contribution?

I'm sure that there are lot of more examples, as Quizzy mentioned the Richard Bennett intro for "Rüdiger".

Hmmmmm, a good example would be Larry Knechtel writing an amazing, astonishingly good piano arrangement for “Bridge Over Troubled Water”. I mean, the demo Paul Simon did is completely different, it's not the same song at all, and yet, no credits for Larry. Because I think what we have here is the situation of a well-established songwriter.

You can do anything for such a songwriter but he’s not going to provide you with any credits regardless of your input. Because I think he understands that it’s a fair game. He gives you the platform, advertise you if you want, and it’s your job to do something with it next. Either you’ll grow and do even more, or cry like a baby asking for credits, it’s your choice.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #392 on: November 23, 2021, 02:28:14 PM »
Just finished reading John's book and I enjoyed it immensely.    :)

I'm glad you like it!

I think it's very nice to have an inside view from the history of the band, and it's from MK right hand, so it is almost from MK himself, lol

I found very nice the way he talks about David, from the period they were flat mates before MK arrived, and also during the firsts years of the band, he truly liked him and understood all he was going throught.

I don't know if Hal would be very happy with the way John describes how he left the band, it makes him look quite vain, in my opinion.

I always find funny when in this books, the writers try to talk about the "girls" on tour, specially about infidelities, Phil also talked the same way in his own book about that issue, something like "I've been a Saint almost all the time", LOL

Of course, the book is about John's time in DS, but something that wasn't mentioned is how and when Mark met Lourdes - I wonder when that happened, especially when they were so busy travelling around the world so much.  Did she work at The Power Station, perhaps? :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #393 on: November 23, 2021, 02:30:28 PM »
Of course, the book is about John's time in DS, but something that wasn't mentioned is how and when Mark met Lourdes - I wonder when that happened, especially when they were so busy travelling around the world so much.  Did she work at The Power Station, perhaps? :think

That all is going to be in Mark's own autobiography, let's just wait another thousand years! :lol

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #394 on: November 23, 2021, 02:32:05 PM »
Just finished reading John's book and I enjoyed it immensely.    :)

I'm glad you like it!

I think it's very nice to have an inside view from the history of the band, and it's from MK right hand, so it is almost from MK himself, lol

I found very nice the way he talks about David, from the period they were flat mates before MK arrived, and also during the firsts years of the band, he truly liked him and understood all he was going throught.

I don't know if Hal would be very happy with the way John describes how he left the band, it makes him look quite vain, in my opinion.

I always find funny when in this books, the writers try to talk about the "girls" on tour, specially about infidelities, Phil also talked the same way in his own book about that issue, something like "I've been a Saint almost all the time", LOL

Yes, she worked at Power Station when they got there to record Making Movies, and that's when they met.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #395 on: November 23, 2021, 02:48:17 PM »
I haven't read the book yet, but, does John mention Holy Vincent?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #396 on: November 23, 2021, 03:00:34 PM »

Not directly.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #397 on: November 23, 2021, 03:13:22 PM »

Hmmmmm, a good example would be Larry Knechtel writing an amazing, astonishingly good piano arrangement for “Bridge Over Troubled Water”. I mean, the demo Paul Simon did is completely different, it's not the same song at all, and yet, no credits for Larry. Because I think what we have here is the situation of a well-established songwriter.

You can do anything for such a songwriter but he’s not going to provide you with any credits regardless of your input. Because I think he understands that it’s a fair game. He gives you the platform, advertise you if you want, and it’s your job to do something with it next. Either you’ll grow and do even more, or cry like a baby asking for credits, it’s your choice.

The guy who did the string arrangement won a geammy (which Paul felt was undeserved) and didn't even listen to the lyrics properly, he typed it up as "Like A Pitcher of Water"!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #398 on: November 23, 2021, 07:48:41 PM »

Not directly.

I don't remember any mention at all, but English is not my language so I might had loses that.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #399 on: November 23, 2021, 07:59:09 PM »

Not directly.

I don't remember any mention at all, but English is not my language so I might had loses that.

It was related to R&J and the fact that Mark was struggling with his private life and John was surprised that he could write something so beautiful whilst being so distracted.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #400 on: November 23, 2021, 10:12:00 PM »

Not directly.

It was related to R&J and the fact that Mark was struggling with his private life and John was surprised that he could write something so beautiful whilst being so distracted.

I definitely need the book on paper!

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
« Reply #401 on: November 23, 2021, 11:10:39 PM »
I have finished it. The book is very nice with great and interesting stories. I was a bit shocked how dangerous some gigs in some southern Europe countries were at that Time. I didn‘t expected that.
Also I wasn‘t aware that John and Dave very regular weet smokers  :lol

The last part of the OES tour is a bit short for such a big and long tour.

Overall a nice insight into the band‘s Life. It would ne great to read Mark‘s bio/story. But I think this will never happen  :-\

Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #402 on: November 24, 2021, 02:25:37 PM »
Book arrived today, almost 10 extra euros in customs, just for a sign!

Looking forward to read it properly.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #403 on: November 24, 2021, 05:57:04 PM »
John posted this on his FB page

"Four old friends get together at my book launch last night. #mylifeindirestraits"

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #404 on: November 24, 2021, 06:10:12 PM »
Colors

A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 35 queries.