Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits  (Read 78972 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits
« Reply #450 on: November 27, 2021, 02:52:09 PM »
What is the first song in the book John mentions?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #451 on: November 27, 2021, 03:45:38 PM »
Down to the waterline.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #452 on: November 27, 2021, 03:50:39 PM »
Thank you Dusty :)
Clear as the day

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #453 on: November 27, 2021, 03:56:58 PM »
What is the first song in the book John mentions?

Why you're asking that tho :lol

Just finished reading the book and got to say, it's great! Some mistakes were a pity, but overall it's such a big story that mistakes are negligible, as I expected. Totally recommended!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #454 on: November 27, 2021, 04:01:57 PM »
I was very curious. I don't know why I was thinking of Eastbound Train:) My copy will be on December 6 :)
Clear as the day

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #455 on: November 27, 2021, 06:27:59 PM »
What I found pretty amusing about Mark is the guy can test 100 guitars for 6 hours for a riff on a song, and yet, with people, he pretty much just randomly pick the first choice. At least, that's what I got from the book. The guy in the Pathway Studios wants to do the lighting? He'll do the lighting for us. We need to replace David, here's Hal Lindes — let's take him. And so on, as if he almost doesn't care. At least they went to a whole lot of trouble choosing label and manager!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #456 on: November 28, 2021, 12:00:46 AM »
A couple of my thoughts after reading the book:

1) I don't think we really need a book from MK after that, for one thing, because their lives with John are pretty similar, in my view, growing up and such, and since MK is not going to give away too much personal information or inspiration for songs, and a lot of his biography is out there on the internet anyway, I don't think we'd ever see his book. And all the rest would be the same, minus, again, some personal information.

2) I'm pretty sure all the major turning points and deportations were discussed beforehand with MK or maybe even with heroes themselves, it helps that John speaks with everybody, unlike MK. Besides, the reasoning John provided is extremely plausible and believable, can't argue with facts basically. Every departure is well presented and explained.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:09:26 AM by quizzaciously »

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #457 on: November 28, 2021, 12:12:18 AM »
These are important observations. Thank you Pavel. I'm looking forward to my book.
Clear as the day

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #458 on: November 28, 2021, 10:30:49 AM »
I think it would be better for a lyrics book like Paul McCartney has just released, but I just don't think writing any book is something Mark would want to do.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #459 on: November 28, 2021, 12:25:58 PM »
I think it would be better for a lyrics book like Paul McCartney has just released, but I just don't think writing any book is something Mark would want to do.

Yes, I also would prefer a lyrics book. That would be great. I have one by Tom Russell, who is one of the greatest storytellers of our time.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #460 on: November 28, 2021, 01:05:42 PM »

Yes, I also would prefer a lyrics book. That would be great. I have one by Tom Russell, who is one of the greatest storytellers of our time.

Highly doubt about a lyrics book, it doesn't feel "MK" at all. Of course, the publisher may do something like this one day. The first song will be "The Bug" :lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #461 on: November 28, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »
I am the only one who doesn't understand why they did 1.5-year tours at all? Why? I feel like it's really a drug, and they just couldn't stop. I get that playing live is great and emotional, but why do it 300 times a year? Obviously, you'll end up with broken marriages, no time to see your kids, everybody leaving the band, complete chaos, and a year to recover afterwards. Just to say that your tour was the biggest?

In the retrospect, it doesn't matter how many people came to shows, 7 million or 3 million, it will always be a relatively small number. Besides, should the band exist longer, smaller tours would sum up to 2-3 bigger ones anyway. Call me an idiot, but I think doing such big tours is a dumb idea. Of course, should Dire Straits invite me on tour I would probably agree because I'm an idiot, but still I'd think it's dumb.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #462 on: November 28, 2021, 01:19:04 PM »
I am the only one who doesn't understand why they did 1.5-year tours at all? Why? I feel like it's really a drug, and they just couldn't stop. I get that playing live is great and emotional, but why do it 300 times a year? Obviously, you'll end up with broken marriages, no time to see your kids, everybody leaving the band, complete chaos, and a year to recover afterwards. Just to say that your tour was the biggest?

In the retrospect, it doesn't matter how many people came to shows, 7 million or 3 million, it will always be a relatively small number. Besides, should the band exist longer, smaller tours would sum up to 2-3 bigger ones anyway. Call me an idiot, but I think doing such big tours is a dumb idea. Of course, should Dire Straits invite me on tour I would probably agree because I'm an idiot, but still I'd think it's dumb.
I think Mark enjoys touring at the beginning of tour, then gets sick of it. Compare his energy in 1985 to his exhaustion in 1986, or his good mood of 1991 to his grumpy, moody, bored to death attitude of 1992. I think John said that after a while, you have no idea where you are and you completely don't care anyway. That's why 1996 was a "baby tour", 4 months seems the right period to enjoy it till the end...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #463 on: November 28, 2021, 01:27:17 PM »

I think Mark enjoys touring at the beginning of tour, then gets sick of it. Compare his energy in 1985 to his exhaustion in 1986, or his good mood of 1991 to his grumpy, moody, bored to death attitude of 1992. I think John said that after a while, you have no idea where you are and you completely don't care anyway. That's why 1996 was a "baby tour", 4 months seems the right period to enjoy it till the end...

Yes, exactly. And it's funny since they created this themselves and Dire Straits got "too big" in Mark's word, but nobody was standing beside him with a gun telling he need to tour for so long as he did. And as I understand they barely broke even with big tours, right? So it doesn't even makes sense from financial perspective, a complete nonsense.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #464 on: November 28, 2021, 01:38:35 PM »

Yes, exactly. And it's funny since they created this themselves and Dire Straits got "too big" in Mark's word, but nobody was standing beside him with a gun telling he need to tour for so long as he did. And as I understand they barely broke even with big tours, right? So it doesn't even makes sense from financial perspective, a complete nonsense.
I think there were pushed by Ed. Look at Mark interview prior to Sydney 1986. He says that the tour "just grew", and you feel that it has grown way too much for his taste. He refered later to DS as "the beast", something controlling him more than he was controlling it. The break-up between Mark and Ed in 2000 (the infamous helmet story) was the ultimate episode of that: Ed considered that 1996 was just a childish small break. The STP album was supposed, in Ed's mind, to carry the DS sticker on it (it would have been a natural DS album btw) and the 2001 tour was intended to restore DS to its full glory. Mark said a big no to that, pretty harshly.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 35 queries.