Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits  (Read 78954 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits
« Reply #540 on: December 08, 2021, 04:39:59 PM »
Fact. There is little about the last DS period.

All biographies are quite the same, a lot of information of oldest times and when it's reaching the last years, it's all told in a hurry, like if the "writer" was tired and wanted to finish as soon as possible.

Though I think in John's case this was pretty fitting. As the tour itself was almost an afterthought and done in automatic mode, there are not a lot of things to discuss. I think it was pretty similar to BIA tour to begin with, so no need to write same things over and over. I think it drives home the point that OES could've been Mark's first solo album but for some reason they decided to try to jump over their heads after the breakup.

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #541 on: December 08, 2021, 05:59:32 PM »
The road to the first success and the circumstances of how it happened are always fascinating and probably most memorable for authors because they changed their lives dramatically. Decisions which could make it or break it, commitment and dedication, but also pure luck  such as "a chance meeting with Mark Knopfler" or the Charlie Gillett thing were all part of it why they made it. The rest, as John says, is history. I am surprised how much he actually remembered from all these tours, sessions etc. After all, it must quickly blur into a one huge gig unless there is something memorable about any particular show. You can tell somebody did research for John as there are obviously errors, but the whole thing is quite impressive really. It was certainly great to hear it from one of the founding members.   
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #542 on: December 09, 2021, 09:27:50 AM »
Anecdotes from the OES tour would likely mostly involve MK being an ogre, so not a surprise that John glosses over them.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #543 on: December 09, 2021, 11:54:48 AM »
Anecdotes from the OES tour would likely mostly involve MK being an ogre, so not a surprise that John glosses over them.

Phil Palmer's book has around 20 pages of that tour and, except being a perfectionist and the sausage incident, there is nothing bad regarding MK. 
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #544 on: December 09, 2021, 06:52:34 PM »

Well, we all know that Mark Knopfler is not an easy going person, but you can't call him an ogre . That's not fair!
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #545 on: December 09, 2021, 07:05:19 PM »

Well, we all know that Mark Knopfler is not an easy going person, but you can't call him an ogre . That's not fair!

I think John in his book goes to great lengths describing Mark the gentleman, so I'm still sure all the stories about MK the monster are told from the point of view of pessimists, or people who had personal confrontations with him (probably for a reason). I find it strange that the same guy could be so nice towards John and a lot of other people, and be an ogre toward others, I think it solely depends on the person in question. If you're John Illsley, if your playing is great and you're a great team player, why on Earth MK would go hard on you. Of course, some level of craziness is fine after so many years of fame and money. Imagine yourself in Mark's shoes!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #546 on: December 09, 2021, 07:55:36 PM »

Phil Palmer, called MK an ogre, back in 1992.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #547 on: December 09, 2021, 08:09:14 PM »

I think John in his book goes to great lengths describing Mark the gentleman, so I'm still sure all the stories about MK the monster are told from the point of view of pessimists, or people who had personal confrontations with him (probably for a reason). I find it strange that the same guy could be so nice towards John and a lot of other people, and be an ogre toward others, I think it solely depends on the person in question. If you're John Illsley, if your playing is great and you're a great team player, why on Earth MK would go hard on you. Of course, some level of craziness is fine after so many years of fame and money. Imagine yourself in Mark's shoes!

And that's the truth.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #548 on: December 09, 2021, 08:57:23 PM »

I always remember speaking at length with another musician who plays occasionally with MK and remember him saying MK is a Gentleman but you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #549 on: December 10, 2021, 06:58:31 AM »

I always remember speaking at length with another musician who plays occasionally with MK and remember him saying MK is a Gentleman but you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him!

Which makes it remarkable why him and Guy have allegedly never had an argument.
I wonder how what their relationship is like and what the secret is?!? I wonder if it’s a bit like Penn and Teller who openly state that they’re not particularly close friends. They don’t hang out together outside of work etc and they reckon that’s how they’ve lasted so long and work so well together.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #550 on: December 10, 2021, 07:46:15 AM »

Which makes it remarkable why him and Guy have allegedly never had an argument.
I wonder how what their relationship is like and what the secret is?!? I wonder if it’s a bit like Penn and Teller who openly state that they’re not particularly close friends. They don’t hang out together outside of work etc and they reckon that’s how they’ve lasted so long and work so well together.

I'm a huge P&T fan, so I love any reference to them! Yes, their duo was built on respect, and not affection, and that enabled them to continue working together for 46 years and still counting. Penn says they are like best friends and relatives now after all these years, but it was built on respect rather than affection. John obviously had had huge respect toward MK from day one. Now, keep in mind respect doesn't mean you agree and say yes to everything, I think it's quite the opposite. You're in a constant positive loop of respectful arguing and coming up with great solutions. If you argue without being respectful, that can lead you into trouble.

I also think about the MythBusters, these guys not only weren't friends but nearly hated each other. But the work they produced together...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #551 on: December 10, 2021, 08:45:43 AM »
I remember John saying they didn't have a single argument ever, that maybe once they didn't agree on something and probably he had said, ok, and that was the end of that disagrement.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #552 on: December 10, 2021, 08:59:46 AM »
I remember John saying they didn't have a single argument ever, that maybe once they didn't agree on something and probably he had said, ok, and that was the end of that disagrement.

Guy also stated they never had arguments in so many years. That doesn't mean they can't disagree on smth, I think it's a misconception about having no arguments. It's just they do it with respect, like a good couple, you know. It's stupid to argue, it doesn't take you anywhere, but it's ok to disagree. So the best way is to listen to your "opponent", come up with good solutions that suit all parties. Basically, making it feel it's not an argument when it really is :lol

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #553 on: December 10, 2021, 09:05:07 AM »

Guy also stated they never had arguments in so many years. That doesn't mean they can't disagree on smth, I think it's a misconception about having no arguments. It's just they do it with respect, like a good couple, you know. It's stupid to argue, it doesn't take you anywhere, but it's ok to disagree. So the best way is to listen to your "opponent", come up with good solutions that suit all parties. Basically, making it feel it's not an argument when it really is :lol

In John's case, they were band mates, in Guy's case he's an employee.

That doesn't means Mk and him are not friends, that they are, but probably Guy's approach was always that, he's my boss, he pays me, so he's right, no need to argue, I'm being paid to do what he says.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #554 on: December 10, 2021, 09:23:08 AM »

In John's case, they were band mates, in Guy's case he's an employee.

That doesn't means Mk and him are not friends, that they are, but probably Guy's approach was always that, he's my boss, he pays me, so he's right, no need to argue, I'm being paid to do what he says.

I think what you've described is generally the way to work when you're working with somebody who's multiple times more successful, famous and powerful than you. Bandmates, friends or not! When Mark says "I'm the guy who wrote the song" and "they let me get away with anything" he means exactly that. And the singer is always right, let alone the writer, let alone the studio owner, let alone the guy who's made it all possible. I think to argue with MK you either need balls the size of the Moon or no brain at all.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 35 queries.