Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Live recordings  (Read 36810 times)

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
Re: Live recordings
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »
from this site:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/magazine/neil-young-comes-clean.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&
 "(Neil) Young gets most worked up when he talks about Pono, the music system he has developed. It is beyond the hobby stage: Warner Brothers has agreed to make its catalog available on Pono, and Young and Roberts are negotiating with other record companies and investors.

We walked out of the train barn past a Hummer that runs on biodiesel and hopped in yet another car, a
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:27 AM »
Sorry to nit-pick, but why is it necessary to be logged in for "2013 Privateering World Tour" ?    Shouldn't it be under "Privateering" then everyone would see it and all of the posts relating to the new MP3 sticks would be in one place?  As it is there are now posts about the same subject in three different places.  :think

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:40:32 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRohrmuller

• Guitar George
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 11:01:55 AM »
I'm with many of you guys;
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:04:19 AM by Rohrmuller »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »
from this site:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/magazine/neil-young-comes-clean.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&
 "(Neil) Young gets most worked up when he talks about Pono, the music system he has developed. It is beyond the hobby stage: Warner Brothers has agreed to make its catalog available on Pono, and Young and Roberts are negotiating with other record companies and investors.

We walked out of the train barn past a Hummer that runs on biodiesel and hopped in yet another car, a

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2013, 02:41:45 PM »
Herlock I did read the page of the link you have posted, the first time you did it. I was amazed by the simplicity that such things were explained, and to tell you the truth I was quite amazed not by the results but by the sheer realization of them. Of course I am far from having a high-end system and as it is, unable to enjoy in full the resolution of audiophile recordings, but coming from a boombox in the 80ies I have noticed many differences changing from audio system to audio system. So your questions are valid.  The thing that troubles me is the faith these companies put behind this system, by financing it. Perhaps it is just another trick, but then I wonder if the same applies to all the audio formats that were issued like SACD, audio DVD etc.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2013, 02:43:35 PM »
One more thing. Here is an article I had not read before posting my previous post, and which I 95% agree with:

http://productionadvice.co.uk/neil-young-pono-pony/

The 5% I don't agree with is that the author says that there is no difference for the vast majority of humans, whereas it is scientificly proven that there is no difference for ALL humans - so I take the article even further :) but at least, this article makes more sense than Neil Young's bullshit about audio. 85% improvement ?? utterly ridiculous.
Neil, focus on what you're good at - making music. Leave sound technology and maths to the professionnals !
And even if you believe in hig-rez audio, there is already everthing you need with free FLAC players ! no need for another format, this is just a rip-off !

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
Herlock I did read the page of the link you have posted, the first time you did it. I was amazed by the simplicity that such things were explained, and to tell you the truth I was quite amazed not by the results but by the sheer realization of them. Of course I am far from having a high-end system and as it is, unable to enjoy in full the resolution of audiophile recordings, but coming from a boombox in the 80ies I have noticed many differences changing from audio system to audio system. So your questions are valid.  The thing that troubles me is the faith these companies put behind this system, by financing it. Perhaps it is just another trick, but then I wonder if the same applies to all the audio formats that were issued like SACD, audio DVD etc.

What they did with SA-CD is that they did good masters before releasing the music on SA-CD; even the CD layer of hybrid SA-CD often don't have the same master as the SA-CD layer, which makes comparing them utterly ridiculous.
Simultaneously, the "loudness wars" compressed the dynamics on CD mastering. All of this led people to the false conclusion that CD was crap and SA-CD was great.
But we all know that a properly mastered and properly dithered redbook CD sounds fantastic. Take MK's albums, for instance - British Grove Studio has state of the art equipment... Anything wrong with the sound on the Privateering CDs ? of course not ! they are just as perfect as they can be !

Blaming 16/44 CD for poor mastering makes me think of the old saying: "don't shoot the messenger"...

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:59:12 PM by herlock »

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 03:44:22 PM »
Another interesting link herlock! Thank you!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »
30 euros is a lot of money of course, but they think that people attend one show and buy the recording of that show, and doesn
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2013, 08:49:41 PM »
Perfect news i'll go for istanbul concert :thumbsup

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2013, 08:54:41 PM »
Actually its silly that if the usb sticks have 4 gb of capacity they put the recording in mp3... A wav recording of the show would be 2 gb more or less...

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2013, 11:30:56 PM »
If you consider that I suggested that this AMIT forum be used as a means to "trade" dubs of these USB sticks, then I have expressed myself badly. But you folk know one another. It is not beyond your wit to organise something.
The bootleggers will doubtless make some nice CDs of these MK shows and sell them at a huge profit. There may well be people on this forum who would buy these bootleg CDs and they may even be the same people who seem to baulk at the idea of sharing dubs of the USB sticks, I don't know. If your conscience prevents you, if you have scruples of some kind or if something else troubles you about it, that is absolutely fine.  Don't do it. Nobody will criticise you. It's just that I think the unit cost is high anyway and that the cost multiplied by however many shows you want to get is out of this world. I merely pointed out that there is solution to this.

and, by the way, bootlegging is not something in which I have ever been involved. In terms of the extracting of that Mr Bob item I mentioned, it was entirely legal and above-board. What I had tracked down was owned by a company that had the legal right to sell copies. The unusual element was that it would normally have been sold to another company rather than a private individual. That's shorthand for saying that "big bucks" were involved. Hence the need to spread the cost. For that, the company provided three copies from their archive - one for me and one each for the two people who raised the money. When it first came, it had a slight technical fault. I complained and requested three replacement copies without the fault  - and got them. This was an entirely commercial transaction. Nothing underhand at all.

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2013, 12:02:19 AM »
Far too expensive for what it is especially on top of the cost of going to a show.
Personally i couldn't care less about a guitar shaped usb stick.Probably costs all of 20p from  the far east anyway.The equipment they have anyway so there is a huge profit margain on these could easily be 10 euros and they would sell more and make a profit.
Last time a few turned up on usenet I guess the same will happen this time.Anyway all the concerts will be the same more or less so really why would anyone want to buy more than 2 or 3 anyway.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2013, 11:24:17 AM »
Far too expensive for what it is especially on top of the cost of going to a show.
Personally i couldn't care less about a guitar shaped usb stick.Probably costs all of 20p from  the far east anyway.The equipment they have anyway so there is a huge profit margain on these could easily be 10 euros and they would sell more and make a profit.
Last time a few turned up on usenet I guess the same will happen this time.Anyway all the concerts will be the same more or less so really why would anyone want to buy more than 2 or 3 anyway.
+1

The guitar USB thing is just a gimmick and it doesn't bother me what the music comes in either.

You're right in the cost factor too.  Since they record every show, it must cost them very little for this and they could easily sell this on for about
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »
Wouldnt be easier for MK team if they just record their own shows at the venue, and sold them directly? They setup the inear mixes every show for each musician, so they only have to setup another mix for the recordings, then during the show press a rec button, the show will be mixed automatically and they can sell it directly, without having to contract another third partie...

Accordingly to Simfy, the thing looks like they (MK management or whatever) make a lot of money if they do this with a third party because this third party has to pay in advance a lot of money to sell the concerts after.

Also the Simfy people told us that they didnt get why they dont do it by themselfs, as they have all its needed...

However, I

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 35 queries.