Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Ragpickers  (Read 1866 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
Re: The Ragpickers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 08:58:34 AM »
He should've used the thirth picture for RPD ;D
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Love Expresso

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:53:16 PM »
The left "Skyline" picture made me immediately thinking of Radio City Serenade..

LE

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:25:09 AM »
Robert Frank, the man in the "Ragpickers" photo, is a film-maker and photographer. I was first aware of his name because of a film called "Pull My Daisy" which included some beat poets and involved Jack Kerouac. Robert Frank is probably best known, though, for his photobook "The Americans". When the book was eventually published in the USA, the introduction was by Kerouac.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:02:59 AM »
Robert Frank, the man in the "Ragpickers" photo, is a film-maker and photographer. I was first aware of his name because of a film called "Pull My Daisy" which included some beat poets and involved Jack Kerouac. Robert Frank is probably best known, though, for his photobook "The Americans". When the book was eventually published in the USA, the introduction was by Kerouac.

and he did the stones' exile sleeve, and the film "candy mountain" featuring a litle DR John's role

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »
The left "Skyline" picture made me immediately thinking of Radio City Serenade..

LE

I don't know why, but the song makes me more thinking of Newcastle and Down to the waterline (the boat horn at the start, maybe....), not NY.

My average english is not very helful to understand lyrics, but I thought it was more a nostalgic story, about his youth, and like David says in the Oldfield's book about DTTW : "it's about the lights on the Tyne's shores where Marks used to walk at night with his girlfriend"

foma

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »
Oooooh, I love Elliott Erwitt! I think you can take any of his picture and it will be perfect cover for anything. Check this out:

:clap

Also, photo from Ragpicker's Dream is VERY expensive and rare, so I've found the biggest version available in net, printed it and placed in frame on the table. So I think Mark spent a lot of money for printing this photo on hundreds and thousands of his CD's...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:07:17 PM by foma »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 42 queries.