Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Privateering Deluxe editions?  (Read 279404 times)

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
Re: Privateering Deluxe editions?
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2012, 07:53:31 AM »
I do have all the vinyl from the beginning (albums only, singles I have a lot but not all) so I also want to have the new vinyl in my collection. That's why I also want to wait till it's clear what's in de super de luxe edition. I want it all and I hope they don't add stupid things like chips and fake concerttickets in it. That's really useless.

I agree, ingridswing.   MK fans are devoted and have stayed with his music for years and years.     We really deserve better.    These are kind of like little carnival souvenirs.   
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I'd like to comment on vgonis's notes on the varying editions of album releases (see #52 above). Sorry for the delay but I find it hard to locate particular threads after they've been moved.

To start at the end, I agree with vgonis's conclusion: nobody forces you to buy anything, let alone multiple editions of basically the same thing. You buy what you want and what you can afford. If you don't want it or cannot afford it, don't buy it. I accept that there are some who may want something so badly that they will buy it even though they cannot really afford it. That is unwise but it is their choice.

If you don't want to read about our experience with a Dylan De Luxe edition, just skip the following italicised paragraphs and move to the end of this post.

Moving to the various editions of Dylan's BOOTLEG SERIES Volume 8 (Tell Tale Signs), there was a certain logic behind this. The standard release was the double-CD, to match nearly all the previous Bootleg Series releases. The single-CD version was intended for the Christmas market - sons to buy for their dads etc etc. 

I said "nearly all the previous Bootleg Series releases" and the exception was the first one, confusingly called BOOTLEG SERIES Volumes 1-3, which was a triple-CD set. This was similar to Volume 8 in that both were entitled "RARE & UNRELEASED" and both consisted of material drawn from across a period of time. BOOTLEG SERIES Volumes 1-3 (released in 1991) covered 1961-1991 (though this was a bit of a cheat in that it contained one song recorded in 1989 but overdubbed in 1991) and Bootleg Series Volume 8 covered 1989 - 2006. The triple-CD version of Volume 8 was intended to "match" Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3 in scope and reach, to establish that latter-day Dylan was as productive as ever and, by including several versions of some songs,  to demonstrate how he worked at his art.

The vinyl edition (the double CD spead over 4 LPs) was for audiophiles -a high-quality, low quantity, high-price market. This brings me on to the question of pricing.

About a year before BOOTLEG SERIES Volume 8 was released, the UK arm of Sony had produced a compilation of existing material, simply called "DYLAN", in three versions - a single CD, a double-CD and a triple-CD in a small box with a few extras. This had been rather looked down upon by the Sony executives in New York but it sold very well. Although many fans regarded it as superfluous, there was a strong marketing push behind it with an emphasis on new media. Its big impact was said to be that it introduced more younger people to Dylan. With this in mind and with the sales of some of their jazz box-sets also, Sony New York felt that could something similar with BOOTLEG SERIES Volume 8. They included a 3rd CD of "rare and unreleased" (12 tracks in all), placed the 3 CDs in a hard back book and included a second hardback book  of images, all housed in thick card box. And they thought they could charge a fortune for it. The backlash was immediate. It was seen as exploitative. The criticism was very vocal.  It didn't sell as well as expected and this is why, later on, you could buy it much more cheaply.

I doubt very much that Sony will try something similar with Dylan releases for quite a while. I may be wrong, as there are always new execs coming along who have not learned the lessons of the past.

In addition to this, I know that Dylan's management were unhappy with what happened, though they don't always control this sort of thing.

The moral of the story is this. If you feel you're being exploited by the way new releases are marketed, then simply don't buy them. If it happens, be vocal - complain to the record company, complain to PCM, complain on GF's website, vent your anger on MK News. Make your dissatisfaction known. Bombard them with your adverse comments.  You are the customer. The best course of action is to withhold your custom.

OfflineJasper90

• Camerado
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »
I found this info about the Deluxe Edition (3 disks) on the Bol.com site.

Disk 3
1. What It Is?
2. Cleaning My Gun
3. Corned Beef City
4. Sailing To Philadelphia
5. Hill Farmer's Blues
6. Marbletown
7. So Far Away Away

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/privateering/1000004012376683/

So if this information is right, the 3rd cd on the deluxe edition is a live cd from the last tour (with Dylan)? :D
And would this also be included in the super deluxe edition? Hope it is!  ;D
MK Down the Road Wherever tour :
22.05.2019 Royal Albert Hall London, UK
22.06.2019 Sportpaleis Antwerpen, Belgium
23.06.2019 Ziggo Dome Amsterdam, Netherlands
03.07.2019 St. Peter at Sunset Kelzenholz, Switzerland

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 08:47:07 PM »
Very interesting, thanks for that info.  No Speedway, Sonny Liston, Privateering[!] so this isn't much of a concert.  Let's hope the download is at least complete but it'll probably be low grade mp3 quality.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:52:31 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJasper90

• Camerado
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »
I was wondering the same thing, we know they record every concert, so it's not that there aren't good recordings for those songs. I still like this though, but we still have no complete concert from Mark as a official release (CD or DVD), from the recent shows (saying that is, from Sailing to Philadelphia up to now).

Indeed, let's hope we can download at least a complete concert. :) And let's surely hope that this bonus cd is not the download for the Super Deluxe edition! :P

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »
Hmm thanks for the link to bol.com.

There is one thing that makes me wonder.

The album will be released in 4 different versions:

* 2 CD standard version
* Deluxe 2 CD + Bonus Disc
* Super Deluxe Box: standard CD + 2LP Vinyl + Bonus CD with 3 extra tracks + EPK DVD + Numbered art print + Credit Card with exclusive download code for a full concert
* 2 LP vinyl

But the deluxe version has 7 numbers on it:
Disk 3
1. What It Is?
2. Cleaning My Gun
3. Corned Beef City
5. Hill Farmer's Blues
6. Marbletown
7. So Far Away Away

So will the box set have 10 songs on that disc, or should we buy the deluxe version and the box to have it all complete? It does say 3 EXTRA tracks, but do we remember the GL versions? And then we all had to buy the iTunes version for those two extra songs?
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2012, 09:23:36 PM »

* 2 CD standard version
* Super Deluxe Box: standard CD + 2LP Vinyl + Bonus CD with 3 extra tracks + EPK DVD + Numbered art print + Credit Card with exclusive download code for a full concert
* 2 LP vinyl

Disk 3
1. What It Is?
2. Cleaning My Gun
3. Corned Beef City
5. Hill Farmer's Blues
6. Marbletown
7. So Far Away Away

So will the box set have 10 songs on that disc, or should we buy the deluxe version and the box to have it all complete? It does say 3 EXTRA tracks, but do we remember the GL versions? And then we all had to buy the iTunes version for those two extra songs?

I guess you're right.
I don't like.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineJasper90

• Camerado
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »

Well bonus means extra, so a bonus disc with extra tracks is double bonus right? haha. Well let's hope it is. :)
Because yes, it was really irritating the last time with GL.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:39:33 PM by Aeneas »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »

* 2 CD standard version
* 2 LP vinyl

Disk 3
1. What It Is?
2. Cleaning My Gun
3. Corned Beef City
5. Hill Farmer's Blues
6. Marbletown
7. So Far Away Away

I guess you're right.
I don't like.

Me too.
Neither me.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
Haha, bol.com got an e-mail from me to ask if it was right what was said about the deluxe edition (then it said only 2 CD's)
They didn't answer so far but changed it anyway.

But no superdeluxe on bol.com so far  ::) ::)  ??? ???

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2012, 08:09:13 AM »
Well, if you stand for the exact information provided:

The superdeluxe includes the standard cd, so the 2cd with 20 songs, and a bonus cd with 3 songs...

If the deluxe cd includes 7 songd, the maths are clear... there are 4 songs less in the superdeluxe than in the deluxe...

Quite strange, isnt it?

;D ;D ;D
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2012, 02:43:24 PM »
surely its 7 +3 extra tracks on the bonus cd .Seems a bit petty to me should just put all the tracks on the bonus cd.The dvd and live show are enough to get people to buy.

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »
I suppose the three bonus songs are like the GL deluxe box: additional studio recordings. The "live" CD with 7 songs is left out of the box (why???) and instead you get a download? Something like that?

Pity Done with Bonaparte isn't on the live CD... ::) ;D

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2012, 01:13:40 AM »
I suppose the three bonus songs are like the GL deluxe box: additional studio recordings. The "live" CD with 7 songs is left out of the box (why???) and instead you get a download? Something like that?

Pity Done with Bonaparte isn't on the live CD... ::) ;D

Next tour he will sing Done with Alan Clark  :P
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2012, 01:06:17 PM »
Salvador said I got him in trouble last time with the design from the GL box. So no sneak preview this time!

https://twitter.com/SalvadorDesign/status/225908161461252096
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.187 seconds with 34 queries.