Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: About Get Lucky Limited Edition  (Read 154133 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: About Get Lucky Limited Edition
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2009, 04:26:35 PM »
I wonder if MK really knows what is going on with his new album. I mean does he know what the producers are going to do with it in terms of marketing and costs etc? Or maybe he is blissfully unaware of the ploys that are being used to get more money out of his fans.

I am sure that he has little or no input once he has finished recording and the songs have been engineered. It is then up to the marketers and distributors etc.

I'd be surprised if this was the case. I don't think MK get's particularly cares about big sales and gets into the marketing aspect in a huge way, but I do think he will be aware of how the album is being released.

I remember an interview in Vox magazine in 1992 where Ed Bicknell revealed that MK agreed to Phillips sponsoring the OES tour for the sum of
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2009, 05:06:20 PM »
I think they may have a lot of deluxe packages left on their hands and they can only blame themselves for not listening to the fans- AGAIN!!  ::)

Indeed they will be left with a lot of deluxe boxes on their hands. And I can predict what the result of this will be..... In the future they won't release any MK deluxe boxes or whatsoever because it's not commercially interesting and the fans aren't into buying it. Weird huh (being sarcastic)

Rollergirl

« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2009, 05:24:23 PM »
yep, they can shove their deluxe edition where the sun don't shine, as far as I am concerned too. Although I love Guy's behind the scenes vids, even with 3 news songs, they do not justify the money they are asking for the box.

Dilemna solved for me too! That's great! Thanks! I am off to buy some nice wine with the money I am saving! Cheers!

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2009, 05:25:57 PM »
VERY DISSAPOINTING! I sincerely think this deluxe box is a farce and a rip-off of fans!
- A bonus CD for only three songs... That's not a CD, just a CD single.
- Two DVDs with material that will probably not consume half the capacity of one DVD when combined.
- Rest of the stuff are useless anyway
MK management and the record company would only need half an hour to scan the internet (MK news forum, guy's site and of course AMITF) to know how they could produce something of value in the eyes of the fans. Just put out a live CD or DVD and everbody would be happy... Just as simple as that. What's the point in releasing 'behind the scenes tour footage' when you don't get the on/before the scenes part...
A lot of people here would buy almost every official MK release even when isn't that value adding or interesting, but so far I've only read MK's biggest fans not intending to buy this one. MK management and the record company should ask theirselves what it is they're doing.. a VERY BAD job.

WORD! There's nothing to add to that... Personally - and I'm sure I'd get kicked in the butt for saying this over at the other forum - I think the whole Mark Knopfler Public Relations machine has gone downhill ever since PC is his manager!
There are
- weird choices of promo appearances (at least here in Germany) - I mean, I know MK is not the kind of guy who seeks attention but some well choosen promo appearances do no harm, do they!? The little Berlin concert was nice but that's all. All we got before were interviews in news channels or third programmes, come on!
- no releases of live material! Why? This is a BIG mistake! I can't believe MK is too stubborn to change his opinion about that. It's a bad decision. Look at David Gilmour - he doesn't care about how popular he is, either but we got two awesome live DVD's!
- no proper information about releases, presales etc. and no organisation

Why is that? And who is responsible for that? PC? Some PR guy/girl?This way of working is just amateurish.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
Goldenheart - At least you did get a televised promo appearance and interviews, also you were able to attend the show. Here in UK all we had was a late-night radio programme with room for about 25 people!  It was nice enough, but that's all!   ::)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2009, 06:32:20 PM »
GF Said: It is indeed a shame that so little of the material that I would consider bona-fide is released but as we all know, it's Mark's decision 100% and if he decides not to release stuff, so be it. Unlike just about every other artist, Mark is so NOT commercially motivated and you have to take your hat off to someone who can do this these days.

I won't take my hat off for this... Nothing for the fans...
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Love Expresso

« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2009, 06:42:20 PM »
I have my own theory about MK

OfflineJeroenvG

• Lady writer
  • Follow me on "twitter.com/vanDiemensLand"
    • Alles Muziek (Dutch)
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »
I hope Mark is not reading all of this, maybe he will decide than to quiet because we don't like his decisions.

On the other if he is reading this, what should we tell him? We want all the DVD's we are waiting for a long time : Alchemy, Madrid 2001, and OTN in 5.1 sound?
"I could play my accordion And charm all of the women And dance round the taproom With a chair in my teeth"

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »
3 songs for a bonus cd? that should be called bonus single, seriously....
will still probably cash out, it's a drug,..need to have it...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetobi777

• Local Hero
« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2009, 08:41:58 PM »
Hi all,

no sb-recording has emerged from the last tour and given that Guy was extremely upset about the guy who stole the signal from the in-ear mix (I understand his reaction but there were some IEM recordings in the past and I think everybody was quite easy about it) plus considering each concert was recorded during the last tour makes me think that a proper live recording was definitively planned.

Certainly a project like that is a risk but hey: the record company just has to put a big sticker on the album e.g. "The Voice And Guitar Of Dire Straits"  ::) I don't understand why the record company didn't go the usual - the easy - way. Instead of releasing stuff that is already there - a  "deluxe set" that noone really needs is a much higher chance to take.  ??? I mean, come on, who needs merchandising stuff like poker chips and dice?

Hope I'll be wrong but I think the "deluxe set" will be a real dud and the company will moan about bad sales figures. Sad.  :'(

OnlineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2009, 09:08:53 PM »
Oh well, I'm just a customer. Nobody makes me to buy the high-octane-box-or-whatever. There are much more important things, so I won't waste my hard-earned money for that. Music industry is completely out of touch with reality...and maybe MK too. But I do wonder what sales figures they do expect and what the break-even might be. Perhaps they don't care and leap at the chance to find just another reason to grumble about plummeting sales-but the record companies aren't guilty - of course not! Where's the next bailout?  ;D
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineLK

• Guitar George
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2009, 11:14:40 PM »
Its improtant to distinguish between two things!!!!

1) Is this what fans really want????
2) Is this product worth 85.09 pounds.....or put a different way is MK/record company trying to fleece the fans????

The answer to 1 is that this product aint what some people truly want but in my opinion this box set sounds very exciting.......a tab book for the guitairsts (awesome......be able to try out the new songs straight away instead of badgering Guy about tab book this tab book that), 3 bonus songs (remember we are taking about the worlds greatest songwriter not some 2nd rate musician (Eric Clapton  :P).....this should stop people moaning about not hearing left overs etc), the vinyl versions are always sort after and i personally would love a vinyl of the new album, a cool ass ticket froma concert would make a nice display in a room somewhere, loads of ebhind the scene footage which to me is much more interesting than a live KTGC soundbaord cos i have heard those songs and versions to death now, OBVIOUSLY the actual album and digipack.....COME ON PEOPLE THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2)
Vinlys - call it 12 pounds
Tab Book - 15 pounds
CD + digipack - 15 pounds
sought after ticket - 5 pounds
bonus mini album/single 8 pounds
other crap -  who cares!!!!!!

so tha comes to about 55 quid for the actual contents of the box and then that leaves a 30 quid deficit of which some would be used to make the other crap and present it nicely!!!!!

So i guess the product is overpriced but to me it represents something different and interesting and ill defo be buying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The idea of MK fleecing is fans is laughable....Knopflers albums ar always well priced and his concert tickets are so cheap compared to other artists so stop moaning and enjoy what ever you want to buy!!!!!!!

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »
Sorry but I am NOT going to spend 134,35 for a CD boxset! That is just insane. This must be the most expensive deluxe set I've ever seen!
I'm a modest person and I don't have a money printer at home and I won't buy it for prestige reasons even if I had the money. It hurts me to learn this is MK's decision. If it is so special, then why such a high price that some people might not be able to spend? LK, you say MK's concert tickets are rather cheap so we shouldn't complain about the boxset - well everything is a matter of perspective I'd say. I don't have a steady job yet because I want to choose it very carefully and I'm still working on my PhD outline. Consequently, I need to consider everytime I spend a larger amount of money. For me, going to several MK concerts means sacirifices, like no vacation for example. That's okay because I know it's worth it. Poker chips, dice and a guitar tab are NOT worth it. As for the extra songs, I'm going to do what MK does not want us to: download them illegally!
Sorry I'm a little upset about all of this  :'( It's so weird.

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
« Reply #178 on: July 31, 2009, 09:04:40 AM »
Half the price and I might consider it.  Sad sad day for Knopfler fans. :(

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #179 on: July 31, 2009, 09:42:30 AM »
I call the dice, chips and replica ticket, etc the equivalent to Christmas cracker tat!  Does MK seriously think that is what his fans want?  Would he himself be impressed with that?  I don't think so! 

LK  Are you really impressed by a REPLICA ticket!   Most of us here have loads of REAL tickets - we don't need replica ones!  ::)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 43 queries.