Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Money for nothing best of in 2 LP format  (Read 24089 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Money for nothing best of in 2 LP format
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2022, 07:44:50 PM »
I have listened to TR and this thing is... weird.
1. First, it seems to be labelled "live at Hammersmith Odeon", which is clearly not. Is the vinyl labelled this way??
2. Then, its length is reduced from 14'18'' (studio version) down to 13'08'' (more or less matching Alchemy's). This was done mainly by reducing the intro down to the part that was played during the OES tour. What's the interest of doing that??
3. This being said, the fade-in is nicely done.
4. Overall the mix is quite clear and nice, better than the album.
5. But the ending kind of ruins it, the weirdest ever, not anything heard before, very quick, sounds like a cover, when was this recorded?? I bet not in 1982... And it's quite poorly done, you can hear softly church bells in the end ???
Wtf, what's the purpose of all this ???

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2022, 07:47:52 PM »
Its just from the original without the fade out (and with the fade in)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2022, 09:10:33 PM »
Now I know how they ended it in the studio.

Sounds fun to me.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2022, 09:10:38 PM »
The whole thing is bizarre.  If Mark finds out maybe there will be a recall!  ;D

They could be in trouble if people expecting a live version find this when they spin it.  :o

Is it a practical joke or some kind of mis-communication somewhere along the line?  This should never have happened at a professional level, so it shouldn't surprise us by now.  :smack

It's all interesting for die hards like us but should never be on a bog standard commercial "greatest hits" release such as this.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2022, 10:09:52 PM »
I’ve just finished a first listen to the whole album in high res. With one exception, I think it’s been well done, on the whole, vocal, drums and bass seem to have been boosted a bit, but not to excess. I haven’t done any comparisons with other versions yet, but that’s my general impression. The exception is the weird TR, intro and outro buggered about - why? But also the sound here doesn’t compare with the other tracks. While I haven’t checked this out against the studio version or another dozen or so live versions I can access, I did feel MK’s voice has a tired smoky feel to it (not inappropriate for the song) I don’t remember. What on earth is going on here?

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2022, 10:21:43 PM »
At this point, everything related to this release is just a joke now. What an embarrassment

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2022, 10:26:18 PM »
At this point, everything related to this release is just a joke now. What an embarrassment

Sorry, but notwithstanding my comments immediately above yours, I do think your post is an exaggeration.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2022, 10:52:05 PM »

Sorry, but notwithstanding my comments immediately above yours, I do think your post is an exaggeration.
Maybe, but I've never seen another release by any other band where they incorrectly title a song as "live" and then it's the same original studio version. I find this absolutely ridiculous. We could also talk about how they came up with the most bizarre ending to Telegraph Road ever. Or how they again chose not to give the fans a full version of Portobello Belle. Or maybe it's just me who isn't easily satisfied with this amateur release.
It just seems like a job made by two 12 year-old kids.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 10:54:18 PM by rmarques821 »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2022, 10:55:57 PM »

Maybe, but I've never seen another release by any other band where they incorrectly title a song as "live" and then it's the same original studio version. I find this absolutely ridiculous. We could also talk about how they came up with the most bizarre ending to Telegraph Road ever. Or how they again chose not to give the fans a full version of Portobello Belle. Or maybe it's just me who isn't easily satisfied with this amateur release.

But it's not called "Money For Something". It's "Money For Nothing" :lol

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2022, 11:13:27 PM »

But it's not called "Money For Something". It's "Money For Nothing" :lol
;D ;D The title is warning us

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2022, 11:19:21 PM »
Someone says on fb that sultans is single version only on digital but not on vinyl  :hmm

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2022, 11:22:07 PM »
It's very good to get things we have not heard before and I hope we get more, released in the right way as part of new, full album format

I am not a fan of tinkering with old releases which stood in their own right as a musicsl document. PB and TR were highlights of the MFN comp and yes, I'm really happy we have new stuff, but this kind of feels like reinventing history.    When I first heard TR this morning it just sounded like they had spliced on an ending using a non descript guitarist: I'd put money on it that it isn't MK you hear at the end.

How this all came about would be really good to understand. TR feels like a very late swap, almost unfinished remix  hurried out to fill a gap.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 11:25:10 PM by the visitor »

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2022, 11:23:35 PM »
Someone sareys on fb that sultans is single version only on digital but not on vinyl  :hmm

Cam anyone confirm yet if it is the studio version of TR on vinyl or live?

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2022, 12:22:00 AM »
I have heard it again and i can say to 100% that the TR version on that new 2-LP-Set is a studio version. The TR version from the CD-Album of 1988 is definitely a live-version. The live-crowd is listenable in any case.
So now the big question: What kind of studio-version is used in the new 2-LP-set ??? And why they used the fast fade-out at the end of the song ??
 :think
The original 1988 LP-Album does not include TR, not the US, UK, NDL, Japan or other release around the globe. That´s a fact.

The label-inscription say and the track-information on backcover say: Telegraph Road - live (remix). It is the same typesetting and layout like the used layout for the CD-back-cover.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 12:27:55 AM by Klaus74 »
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2022, 12:35:44 AM »
Here we have a pic of my LP-copy from label,backcover and the 1988 hype-sticker on my CD-cover. The length of the TR live version from 1988 CD-Album is 11:59min.
 :think
We are fools to make war

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 39 queries.