Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Blue Pensa on telegraph road  (Read 15512 times)

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
Blue Pensa on telegraph road
« on: January 03, 2015, 04:57:09 PM »
Happy new year to all forumers !
asked Doc : "Hi Doc, New Year begins, let us pray that it will be a year with new peace, new happiness, god bless you through out the New Year, again, thank you for your time on the forum and for sharing so much informations with us. Can you tell us if Mark tried the blue pensa on Telegraph road just to see how it sounds ? I really love this gem and wondering if it will be the special guest of next tour. Happy new year."

answer : It has been tried

I hope it will for the next tour
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Blue Pensa on telegraph road
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 07:04:01 PM »
Should we understand that TR -MK's best work ever- will still be on the setlist this tour ?? This in itself is great news ! And if the first solo could be back instead of the infamous karaoke mode that took place in 2008...
Give me back the TR from 1996/2001/2005, the best ever !!

LoveExpresso

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 07:25:06 PM »
Funny how you hear what you want to hear. It has been tried just means.. well, it has been tried. Could have been in any year since 2011. How you conclude that TR is in the next set list is beyond me. Hope he skips it together with What It Is..

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 08:33:52 PM »
That's why I put a double "??" to it.   As a question, not a bold statement ! :)
And why you hope he would skip it is beyong me..

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 08:48:01 PM »
I gave up, for years I hoped to be able to listen at least once in my life Mark performing TOL on stage instead of TR but since 2010 I do prefer listening him f..k up TR than TOL... And the treatment given to I Dug Up a Diamond compared to 2006 just confirm me in my position. I can die in without regrets to miss TOL or a Dire straits reunion (but not to too early I have still to attend EC this year at Albert's home!).

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

LoveExpresso

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 09:25:52 PM »
That's why I put a double "??" to it.   As a question, not a bold statement ! :)
And why you hope he would skip it is beyong me..

Oh, to be honest, I think it is getting worse and worse and I hardly can listen to it anymore. It's the same with Sultans, it is somewhat sad to hear him butcher what was once his signature and master piece. Plus I fear the usual  Marbletown/Speedway/Telegraph set which is 30 minutes of the set done with stuff that I have heard a million times. I would change almost any three songs against TR, just to fresh up things a little bit. I know of course that TR is very highly regarded from many AMITers, and some seem to judge all the other songs just rubbish as long as he plays TR, but we already have all those great versions from the better times. Sometimes it is better to put a song to rest. Just my opinion of course. I hardly listen to TR or Sultans from the 2013 recordings (but I admit I do not listen to any MK at the moment at all..)

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 09:36:41 PM »
Sultans from Istanbul 2013 is great... Well I have always preferred the more loaded versions of the BIA tour to 4-piece ones, but still, this one is as good as 1979 ones !
As for TR although I much prefer the older 1996/2001/2005 ones, it is still magical to hear this masterpiece.   And 2013 had some very nice end solos (such as Saint Julien) albeit a bit short...
TR is a symbol ! The one of Mark on the cusp !

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 08:47:57 AM »
This is my favourite TR from 2013 and I have listened to a great many of them - some are very good and some are rather poor.    St Julien was very good indeed, but I prefer this version.   I especially like the way he sings "I've run every red light on memory lane" and runs it into the next line.  It's the little things that excite me about MK!   I know TR will disappear from the setlist before too long, but I will miss it immensely - it's such a great song and on the night it can still be wonderful!   It's one of the last real crowd-pleasers left in the set, so I hope it stays!  ;)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:42:59 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 01:06:18 PM »
I think the MK D would be the wrong instrument for 'Telegraph Road'. With those two P90 pick-ups, it has the wrong sort of tone. And MK evidently prefers to use this guitar for more overdriven sounds, as we have heard on the live version of 'Kingdom of Gold' and the recent Last Post tribute. I think you need a more Strat-like tone for 'Telegraph Road' and for me, the MK II suits it perfectly. And I have to say I actually prefer the more recent versions of this song. Although there is less emphasis of MK's guitar part, with the continuing improvements in his voice it allows his vocal to be more prominent.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »
I don't prefer the MK Sig tone either. It should be played on the Schecter. The MK sig is too mellow in my opinion. I miss that raw sound the Schecter has.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 02:55:59 PM »
I don't prefer the MK Sig tone either. It should be played on the Schecter. The MK sig is too mellow in my opinion. I miss that raw sound the Schecter has.

Good call.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 03:01:11 PM »
I think the MK D would be the wrong instrument for 'Telegraph Road'. With those two P90 pick-ups, it has the wrong sort of tone. And MK evidently prefers to use this guitar for more overdriven sounds, as we have heard on the live version of 'Kingdom of Gold' and the recent Last Post tribute. I think you need a more Strat-like tone for 'Telegraph Road' and for me, the MK II suits it perfectly. And I have to say I actually prefer the more recent versions of this song. Although there is less emphasis of MK's guitar part, with the continuing improvements in his voice it allows his vocal to be more prominent.

Improvements in his vocal?  Pity he "speaks" the lyrics now then instead of trying to sing them!  :)

Since his vocal isn't particularly talented (he's no Tom Jones e.g.) any improvements in clarity can actually be regarded as a degradation in his vocal because Mark's main vocal attribute was it's rough sounding character;  that's what made it so special.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 03:10:40 PM »

Improvements in his vocal?  Pity he "speaks" the lyrics now then instead of trying to sing them!  :)

Since his vocal isn't particularly talented (he's no Tom Jones e.g.) any improvements in clarity can actually be regarded as a degradation in his vocal because Mark's main vocal attribute was it's rough sounding character;  that's what made it so special.

I liked his voice when it was rough and I also like it now that it's smoother - he has always done the speaky/singy thing though, that was a major part of his style!  I would say his voice has improved a lot in the last few years and I like it that way.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 03:41:19 PM »
I love the MK-D sound, but i think for TR you're right. I prefer also the schecter or the fender strat sound.
As for the song: TR is one of my favourite MK songs, still it would be ok, if he replaces it with a new song. But i change my attitude to all the songs quite often, depending on season, on mood, on listening frequency, and so on... so i'll take it as it comes

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »
...so I hope it stays!  ;)

Perfect specimen indeed, that moved me to tears.

superval99, I enjoy reading your posts, something inside me always responds to your words with a warm smile and sincere sympathy  :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 39 queries.