Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: AMIT first impressions  (Read 10648 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: AMIT first impressions
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2024, 07:20:16 PM »
Something that strikes me about this album is that all the songs are reflective, "serious". There are no humorous, distanced songs here. Even the ones that seem cheerful don't talk about anything optimistic. For me, there has been a change here. I love the darkness of MK.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflinePasc'

• Local Hero
« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2024, 08:00:53 PM »
There are no humorous, distanced songs here.

"What I'm gonna need" is the least serious song mark has ever made  ;D

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2024, 08:02:10 PM »
Yes, but I didn't think about bonus songs ;)
Clear as the day

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2024, 08:29:37 PM »
Something that strikes me about this album is that all the songs are reflective, "serious". There are no humorous, distanced songs here. Even the ones that seem cheerful don't talk about anything optimistic. For me, there has been a change here. I love the darkness of MK.

Agreed, very reflective collection.
Also reMARKable how many train-related references can be found throughout the album and bonus songs. It often signifies the journey of life, the passage of time, and the interconnectedness of all things. 

I counted 8 songs that mention trains one way or the other:
- Two Pairs of hands
- Ahead of the Game
- Tunnel 13
- Watch Me Gone
- Sweeter Than The Rain (or Train?)
- Before My Train Comes
- One Deep River
- Nothing But Rain (or Train?)

...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2024, 08:38:11 PM »
He's trained for this his whole life, you know.

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #155 on: April 16, 2024, 08:43:26 PM »
Ha ha, indeed. Training makes Master.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #156 on: April 16, 2024, 08:45:43 PM »
It often signifies the journey of life, the passage of time, and the interconnectedness of all things. 

With all these train strikes all over the place, I'm not so sure about the interconnectedness of things.  ;D
No wonder MK prefers the scooter, like me  :lol

What I found found interesting, though, was a point he made about trains (I can't remember which interview it was): the idea was that cities will change, and come and go, and it doesn't really matter where he lives, but the railway lines between them remain constants in his life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2024, 08:58:54 PM »

Agreed, very reflective collection.
Also reMARKable how many train-related references can be found throughout the album and bonus songs. It often signifies the journey of life, the passage of time, and the interconnectedness of all things. 

I counted 8 songs that mention trains one way or the other:
- Two Pairs of hands
- Ahead of the Game
- Tunnel 13
- Watch Me Gone
- Sweeter Than The Rain (or Train?)
- Before My Train Comes
- One Deep River
- Nothing But Rain (or Train?)

Yes exactly. Thanks kooba, I also wanted to count the trains in the new songs :)
Clear as the day

Offlineprivinvest

• Guitar George
« Reply #158 on: April 16, 2024, 10:43:39 PM »
what's the best 30 seconds of the album?
for me it's:
https://youtu.be/ZIQIc3UzWEs?t=138
i want more of it Sir MK!

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #159 on: April 16, 2024, 11:58:09 PM »

The line about the wood for his guitar certainly made me laugh.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2024, 12:34:14 AM »

The ending of Tunnel 13. Surprising, perhaps incomprehensible to some, bold and megalomaniacal.
Clear as the day

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2024, 04:55:26 AM »

I don't know why folks think this line is cringy. This piece of info is too cool to leave it only for guitar nerds like us to discover. And it does give the song another dimension.
As MK put it: "I was trying to square this upsetting act of robbery with this intensely creative act of making a beautiful instrument."

Offlineneco

• Camerado
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2024, 10:59:44 AM »
Once again I just don‘t get the idea of putting such good songs as Bonus only.. at least The Living End, Along a Foreign Coast and Dolly Shop Man would be great additions to the main album, they deserve to geta bigger audience than just the once who buy Deluxe versions of ODR  :think

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2024, 11:11:22 AM »

I don't know why folks think this line is cringy. This piece of info is too cool to leave it only for guitar nerds like us to discover. And it does give the song another dimension.
As MK put it: "I was trying to square this upsetting act of robbery with this intensely creative act of making a beautiful instrument."

I feel this type of literary device is like "breaking the fourth wall" in films or theater, i.e. where an actor suddenly speaks to the camera/audience. Personally it doesn't work for me. He does it in Heavy Fuel too ("That's why I wrote this song.")

If Mark wanted to show that there is some kind of balance between evil and good (or whatever), I think it's kind of odd to write a whole song about a terrible deed and then right at the end, "but look - something good came out of it!" Not very elegant, IMO.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2024, 11:15:11 AM »

I feel this type of literary device is like "breaking the fourth wall" in films or theater, i.e. where an actor suddenly speaks to the camera/audience. Personally it doesn't work for me. He does it in Heavy Fuel too ("That's why I wrote this song.")

If Mark wanted to show that there is some kind of balance between evil and good (or whatever), I think it's kind of odd to write a whole song about a terrible deed and then right at the end, "but look - something good came out of it!" Not very elegant, IMO.

Agree, if the whole song had been written like this it might be OK but it juts comes out of the blue and it's very jarring.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 39 queries.