Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #01 DTRW TOUR - Apr 25 2019 - Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona, Spain #SPOILER#  (Read 107740 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Matchstick Man wonderful.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

hunter

The added instruments really lifted this song to a new level.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Exactly. Now I know I miss this on the album.
Clear as the day

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

+1  Never cared for it on the album but this live one is pretty nice.  :thumbsup
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler

+1  Never cared for it on the album but this live one is pretty nice.  :thumbsup

I really like it a lot, but I'm surprised that you do, dmg, with Mr McGoldrick playing the pipes!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Just listening to My Bacon Roll.  It's fantastic and I love that long, funky outro!   I hope it stays in the set.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Just listening to My Bacon Roll.  It's fantastic and I love that long, funky outro!   I hope it stays in the set.

Really cool, isn't it.  I love the solo.  It just sounds so damn good.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler

Yes, love the solo too!   I was just thinking how experimental MK is compared to some other musicians of his era and even younger, who just play greatest hits!   I'm so glad I'm a Knopfler fan!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

Yes, love the solo too!   I was just thinking how experimental MK is compared to some other musicians of his era and even younger, who just play greatest hits!   I'm so glad I'm a Knopfler fan!   ;D

It is just awesome and still get a little giggle with 'Have you got my roll? my bacon roll' without the band and arms in the air!!!! I expect to see Mr Superval & dmg doing this in Leeds!! and yes I'm glad Knopflerfan is a Knopfler Fan!!!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:13:03 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms

Me too:)
Clear as the day

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Whatever the merit of judging these performances there's no doubt that the tempo of TR was subtly altered some time ago to aid mark a little. Plenty of little 'greenies' in both performances, but also plenty of effort and still some good little fluid passages.

Gives us mere mortals some hope  ;)

Yes, speed is the only thing that has suffered (quite big time) for the last 15 years, especially since he was so fast previously.

Gilmour for example has not suffered much on the speed side cause pink floyd songs have always been pretty slow since the very beginning, contrarily to dire straits songs.

Regarding all the rest, touch, inspiration, is beyond imagination,
for example Telegraph Road final solo from 1992 was much faster than now obviously, but he is struggling now ?
I don't think so, actually the Barcelona final solo from this tour imo is much more enjoyable overall to me than the much faster ones.

I think the real issue is one of timing. As you and I know Knopfler/Fingerstyle guitar is very precise and demanding, the slightest of errors can leave you looking a bit silly. That's what I've sensed from much of marks recent playing. It will be interesting to see what happens during the rest of the tour because it could just be 'rust' rather than age that we're picking up on.

Whatever, he's still great, and I owe him a huge thankyou for making me want to play and teach.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Whatever the merit of judging these performances there's no doubt that the tempo of TR was subtly altered some time ago to aid mark a little. Plenty of little 'greenies' in both performances, but also plenty of effort and still some good little fluid passages.

Gives us mere mortals some hope  ;)

Yes, speed is the only thing that has suffered (quite big time) for the last 15 years, especially since he was so fast previously.

Gilmour for example has not suffered much on the speed side cause pink floyd songs have always been pretty slow since the very beginning, contrarily to dire straits songs.

Regarding all the rest, touch, inspiration, is beyond imagination,
for example Telegraph Road final solo from 1992 was much faster than now obviously, but he is struggling now ?
I don't think so, actually the Barcelona final solo from this tour imo is much more enjoyable overall to me than the much faster ones.

I think the real issue is one of timing. As you and I know Knopfler/Fingerstyle guitar is very precise and demanding, the slightest of errors can leave you looking a bit silly. That's what I've sensed from much of marks recent playing. It will be interesting to see what happens during the rest of the tour because it could just be 'rust' rather than age that we're picking up on.

Whatever, he's still great, and I owe him a huge thankyou for making me want to play and teach.

And after tonights storming concert in Madrid, MK's rust is most certainly dissapearing!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
oh yes the 2nd half I heard was brilliant, sounded a lot better playing than when I saw him in Barcelona,
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

hunter

Also note that on TR, for instance, he uses a much more overdriven guitar sound than previously. That makes things sound much more fluid and covers up moments of "imprecision". Same with Once Upon A Time.

Some may call it cheating, but I actually admire Mark for adjusting to reality and being able to make things work nonetheless. It would not work on Sultans, I think. It has and requires too many "twiddly bits" to be a proper version, and with a distorted sound it would sounds mushy.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.226 seconds with 39 queries.