Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Alan Clark plays new single Romeo and Juliet (OFFICIAL VIDEO)  (Read 12873 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Alan Clark plays new single Romeo and Juliet (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »
Re-read the lyrics as I don't like the song too much. I guess "you been faking it.." is the key. Wasn't there this Italian front man in one of those Straits bands who played Mark? That one that jbaent is admiring so much?  ;) Grey hair if I remember correctly..

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 10:05:56 AM »
Re-read the lyrics as I don't like the song too much. I guess "you been faking it.." is the key. Wasn't there this Italian front man in one of those Straits bands who played Mark? That one that jbaent is admiring so much?  ;) Grey hair if I remember correctly..

LE

hehehehe

Yeah, it must be him, lol
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 10:16:40 AM »
To be honest, I find this rendition of Romeo pretty boring. Also that "Mark and I" is the usual arrogance. Why not the whole band, "We"? What Matt Rollins played as an intro in 2008 or 2010 was much much more touching and more beautiful. Live versions are usually variations and extended. To claim that this part is from him shows the AC as we know him.

LE

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2021, 10:18:12 AM »
It is a pity that journalists do not ask about songs in interviews.

One Song At A Time also has some Secret.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 10:35:24 AM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »
Grey hair and Fenders is probably just a good rhyme. It also gets the point across about old men living in the past. It doesn't need to be literal.

What does "Terminal of Tribute To" even mean?

Seems Phil took it personally anyway, he wrote that Three Chord Trick song.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2021, 10:33:05 AM »
The use of words in the  title always reminds me of "Last Exit To Brooklyn", the Hubert Selby novel.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2021, 10:35:50 AM »
Grey hair and Fenders is probably just a good rhyme. It also gets the point across about old men living in the past. It doesn't need to be literal.

Terminal is like the end of the road, and the tribute band is something that doesn't goes further than that.

Palmer said many times that three chord trick song is about him.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2021, 10:38:07 AM »
"Terminal" is pretty well chosen as it contains the idea of an Airport the same as in medicine the last stage of something. Choose the wrong way, no way back and so on.

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2021, 10:50:50 AM »
I think the airport thing is a stretch.

Still, musically it’s interesting, sound kind of late 60s, like Cream or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 10:52:02 AM »

Terminal is like the end of the road, and the tribute band is something that doesn't goes further than that.

Palmer said many times that three chord trick song is about him.
About who?

I don’t really care what he says. It’s about MK. He really couldn’t have made it any more obvious if he tried.

Love Expresso

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2021, 10:56:12 AM »
I think the airport thing is a stretch.

I pictured an Airport in the lyrics because of the mini bus driver and the "Bag has fallen from the carousel"

LE

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2021, 11:00:58 AM »
To be honest, I find this rendition of Romeo pretty boring. Also that "Mark and I" is the usual arrogance. Why not the whole band, "We"? What Matt Rollins played as an intro in 2008 or 2010 was much much more touching and more beautiful. Live versions are usually variations and extended. To claim that this part is from him shows the AC as we know him.

LE

I think the intro and outro are clearly written by him - if you listen to Eric Clapton shows from around 1988 when Alan was in that band they used the intro to one of the songs there - so it stands as a piece in its own right.

Comments on this thread are really quite amusing. A song created by one person once recorded is fair game for anyone else to record.  Countless examples across all genres of music.  Somehow there seems to be some weird 'sovreignty' issue in the case of MKs songs in the eyes of some people, even when the person who has recorded the cover version was a major pillar of the band who recorded it.   Let's not lose any sleep over it, and enjoy the music - or not depending on your perspective. 

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2021, 11:03:10 AM »
Pretty boring.   It needs some lyrics!   :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2021, 11:05:13 AM »

LE

Comments on this thread are really quite amusing. A song created by one person once recorded is fair game for anyone else to record.  Countless examples across all genres of music.  Somehow there seems to be some weird 'sovreignty' issue in the case of MKs songs in the eyes of some people, even when the person who has recorded the cover version was a major pillar of the band who recorded it.   Let's not lose any sleep over it, and enjoy the music - or not depending on your perspective.

Good to hear that you are amused. Enjoy!

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »

LE

I think the intro and outro are clearly written by him - if you listen to Eric Clapton shows from around 1988 when Alan was in that band they used the intro to one of the songs there - so it stands as a piece in its own right.

I don't have any problem with this, I just think it's weird that these guys are still hanging on to MK's coat tails after so long.

I do however take issue with some of the stuff AC has said and done over the years - remember when he said one of the tribute bands (he's been in a few) was musically better than DS? A real insult to John Illsley.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 51 queries.