Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #01 DTRW TOUR - Apr 25 2019 - Palau Sant Jordi, Barcelona, Spain #SPOILER#  (Read 108425 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
indeed, relax, enjoy the tour as it goes on, it WILL be the last one.
and yes, who knows, maybe it is not him becoming an older man, but rather an arthritis problem in his fingers.
e.g.
who knows.
but whatever, no bitching to one and other pls.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..

I know this was only the first night, but I'm not exactly over the moon about this at all.  He seems to be struggling imo.

you can't listen something with a crap sound quality like that one, I have a basically perfect audience recording, outstanding playing,
the only problem is that it's a short final solo

Good sound doesn't make a struggling performance outstanding!

there's zero struggling infact, you have no idea what you are talking about, if you listen to a crap recording you don't get what's really happening, even if you have a very trained ear, that recording is just unlistenable, same for the valencia one

Zero struggling?? what are you watching/listening to??

And a lot of people on here know what we are talking about.....

no, if you listen to a crap recording it's impossible to understand what's really going on

Whatever the merit of judging these performances there's no doubt that the tempo of TR was subtly altered some time ago to aid mark a little. Plenty of little 'greenies' in both performances, but also plenty of effort and still some good little fluid passages.

Gives us mere mortals some hope  ;)

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
indeed, relax, enjoy the tour as it goes on, it WILL be the last one.
and yes, who knows, maybe it is not him becoming an older man, but rather an arthritis problem in his fingers.
e.g.
who knows.
but whatever, no bitching to one and other pls.
Yes Agree 100% pottel! We need to just give the man our full support/admiration for the decades of enjoyment he has given to us all! Be thankful he still writes, records and performs but now now constrained by failing physical adroitness.

As a person with arthritis, in almost every joint of my body, I can totally empathize with Mark if his does have it! His early years as a Hill Farmer, exposed to all weathers and a motorbike accident, must have had some impact on his body, so let's just be REAL happy that he can still lift a guitar let alone do all these concerts for us fans.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
WAM is arranged nicely! I reallly hope that Mark feels comfortable enough to strat with it so we will hear it again.

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
What a great photo.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Indeed a fantastic, warm picture of 'the master's- great find thankyou
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Whatever the merit of judging these performances there's no doubt that the tempo of TR was subtly altered some time ago to aid mark a little. Plenty of little 'greenies' in both performances, but also plenty of effort and still some good little fluid passages.

Gives us mere mortals some hope  ;)

Yes, speed is the only thing that has suffered (quite big time) for the last 15 years, especially since he was so fast previously.

Gilmour for example has not suffered much on the speed side cause pink floyd songs have always been pretty slow since the very beginning, contrarily to dire straits songs.

Regarding all the rest, touch, inspiration, is beyond imagination,
for example Telegraph Road final solo from 1992 was much faster than now obviously, but he is struggling now ?
I don't think so, actually the Barcelona final solo from this tour imo is much more enjoyable overall to me than the much faster ones.
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Love Expresso

To see Mark playing STP and DWB seems much more right and better than Skydiver or Broken Bones. It's a lovely feeling of homecoming and satisfaction. The new arrangement of Matchstick Man is really beautiful and My Beacon Roll is pretty good in the second half.

As much as I like the album version of Nobody Does That, I agree that it isn't working live (yet), mainly because Mark just mumbles and is hardly understandable. The relaxed feel of OUATITW is absolutely gorgeous. Plus he plays some very signature style licks on that one.
Silvertown Blues needs some more runnings to be really great. On Every Street doesn't do it for me live as it already didn't in 2015 with this band as it so much needs Paul Franklin. Otherwise I do not really miss anything. Maybe Father and Son, but certainly not HFB or Sultans which had their time and were not given justice anymore in 2015. Good to skip them now.
Just some thoughts.

LE

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
great set list just a shame there isn't more from the new album on it.Maybe it will come as they have a chance to practice a bit more.Wonder if they will change it up more than ever as it seems to be the last time around.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
To see Mark playing STP and DWB seems much more right and better than Skydiver or Broken Bones. It's a lovely feeling of homecoming and satisfaction. The new arrangement of Matchstick Man is really beautiful and My Beacon Roll is pretty good in the second half.

As much as I like the album version of Nobody Does That, I agree that it isn't working live (yet), mainly because Mark just mumbles and is hardly understandable. The relaxed feel of OUATITW is absolutely gorgeous. Plus he plays some very signature style licks on that one.
Silvertown Blues needs some more runnings to be really great. On Every Street doesn't do it for me live as it already didn't in 2015 with this band as it so much needs Paul Franklin. Otherwise I do not really miss anything. Maybe Father and Son, but certainly not HFB or Sultans which had their time and were not given justice anymore in 2015. Good to skip them now.
Just some thoughts.

LE

Have you changed your mind now about selling your ticket, LE?    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

No. But I will have a look if the set really is set in stone or if there are any surprises possible.

LE

Love Expresso

The new tour HAD to have a good shake up of the set list. It was necessary and really important. They could have messed up that but I admit that this one really works well and is under the special circumstances a really good and satisfying one. If the soundboard recordings are done better and not in such a disastrous way than 2015 it would be perfect and worth a farewell tour. Maybe they learned and take their time to do it better, regarding the three weeks delivery time.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 41 queries.