Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark writes film score!  (Read 15951 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Mark writes film score!
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2012, 12:02:57 PM »
It is quite peculiar, because I thought that at least two of the new songs performed at the last tour, were perfect, if not intended, for the OST.  

Hmm, I can't see any relation between Haul Away, Privateering or Corned Beef City with any world war I related movie. The first two songs are typical MK themes, maritime, historical, authentical, (folky), but even after putting a very wide range of interpretation into the lyrics, I can't see why the two folk songs should be included in a movie called Private Peaceful. If any, then Remembrance Day would have fitted. Also, on IMDB there is someone called Rachel Portman credited for the "original music", so I think MK has declined this score. Maybe he had agreed before the Dylan tour came up and now schedule has changed totally.

LE
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:36:35 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2012, 12:14:49 PM »
If it is true that he declined because of the Dylan tour, after having previously agreed, then I think it is a great shame.   I feel very disappointed.   :(
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
So... if the album is in the final mixes, and the "touring-with-dylan-yes-again" will happens in autumm/fall, the rest of the time everybody though it would be when MK will record the film score is now free.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »
If it is true that he declined because of the Dylan tour, after having previously agreed, then I think it is a great shame.   I feel very disappointed.   :(

Well, we dont know if its because of that, but MK already delayed his own recordings because of the october/november tour with Dylan, so everything got delayed because of that.

We dont know MK
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2012, 12:22:28 PM »
If he tours again with Dylan in the Autumn, I wonder when the promos for the new album will take place.    :-\
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2012, 12:28:32 PM »
I know it is hard for us to believe, but perhaps his score wasn't good enough and they enlisted someone else!    :disbelief
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2012, 12:38:32 PM »
Val, as the MK disciple that I am, I prefer to think that maybe the movie wasn't good enough for MK so he declined because of that!  :)

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
Val, as the MK disciple that I am, I prefer to think that maybe the movie wasn't good enough for MK so he declined because of that!  :)

LE

I'll try to think your way, then LE - you're probably right - no, I'm SURE you're right!    ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 12:48:18 PM »
I am happy with MK NOT doing a soundtrack again to be honest. As said earlier, it would contain his music of course, but it would have been influenced by too many factors like script, directors, producers, genre, etc... I like his other soundtracks in a certain way, but it is not enough for me because I need his voice and lyrics. And the singing on Shot At Glory is "half-arsed" and somewhat weak, which is what I mean: He never gives 100 % when not on his very very own, which is not meant as a complaint. My opinion. Plus I want that special "album-feel", which I never have on his soundtrack albums.

LE

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2012, 07:47:10 PM »
I could have settled for both of them, though! Anyway, it really doesn't matter now, but if you think of it all his songs (or most of them) are influenced by situations, books, other songs, movies so why should writing specifically for a film be a problem. But as I said, maybe it could be a Metroland situation, but this time he will be contributing the extra odd song.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinegoldenheart96

• Lady writer
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2012, 09:45:01 PM »
What is it that this MK will tour with Dylan again rumour is so effing persistent??? Is this the secret wish of the majority of fans? It must be, or I must have missed any kind of trustworthy hint re another tour with you-know-whom... There may be dozens of reasons why this OST didn't happen. How about this: Mark finally wants to complete his next solo album and put all his energy in that one, and for that reason he doesn't have the time to do an OST the way he wants it to (which is properly) - OR tour with His Awfulness again.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2012, 02:12:42 AM »
The story seems to have come about as the result of their last tour together and, back then, there was a mixed reaction amongst fans. Just as you, a Mark fan, found Mr Bob unpalatable, so some Dylan fans found Mr Knopfler unpalatable. You are, of course, fully entitled to your view but it is essentially irrelevant. The key thing is whether the two principals found touring together to their liking (and I believe they did) and whether they feel it would be mutually beneficial for them to do so again (and I believe they do). That the other musicians and the road crew members also enjoyed working and touring together was helpful but not, I guess, crucial. 

I have no inside knowledge or special insight but, having built up friendships and contacts over several decades of following Mr Bob's activities, there are indications that the two of them would like to tour together. However, nothing is clear-cut and nothing is definite, so, as we say here, you have to read the runes. Sometimes, it isn't what was said but the way things were expressed. Other times, what wasn't said seems crucial. Simultaneously, there are others trying to do the same thing. How does what they say fit in with what you've heard or surmised?  How reliable have they proved in the past?  And then there are the artists themselves. What have their work patterns been in the past?  Out of all the various strands in this tangled web (and I haven't mentioned them all), you try to weave a coherent picture that is sensible and practical.

I have given my views on a possible re-run of the BD-MK tour in other posts and in other threads, so I won't repeat those views here, but I do not know how these fit with this supposedly on-off situation with the film score. 

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »
What is it that this MK will tour with Dylan again rumour is so effing persistent??? Is this the secret wish of the majority of fans?

It's definitely NOT my wish!    My wish is that MK finishes his album, releases it in September, does some promos and then follows on in 2013 with a fantastic tour!  Next year I have a very special birthday and I will be celebrating with lots of MK concerts,  hopefully!   :D

Seeing Dylan ever again is not on my wish-list and I hope MK doesn't waste valuable time touring with him in the Autumn!   ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:40:18 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
It is official, Fluidity Films, e-mail me back, to say Mark Knopfler is not involved :(
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »
It is official, Fluidity Films, e-mail me back, to say Mark Knopfler is not involved :(

Thanks!    So now Mark can concentrate on finishing the new album!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 44 queries.