Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark writes film score!  (Read 15956 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Mark writes film score!
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »
The fact is that the new album is in the final mixes stage, so its almost done.

I agree with LE that the MK records have an aspect that the scores doesnt, but in the end, thats the same story, it only changes the writer of the story.

In his own records MK creates lovely melodies to his own written songs (or in the contrary when the music comes first than the lyrics) and in his film scores, MK creates lovely melodies to the story that the film is talking about.

What matter is that is MK who writes and creates the music, so its his music anyhow.

I love MK film scores, as it gives us the chance to enjoy instrumental pieces of music that we wont be able to enjoy if he doesnt write them, its complementary.

The strong efforts that MK does when playing with Dylan, is hardly enjoyable when Dylan insists on ruin everything playing guitar as well or blowing the harmonica like a crazy dog. So, for me, the Dylan thing is something I dont want anymore, at least in the same way that the 2011 tour happened.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2012, 12:57:07 PM »
Guy says:

"We have been working solidly on the album so there has been no time."

You can say I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »
jbaent,I agree with your sentiments.   They weren't working solidly on the album last Autumn - they were touring with Dylan!   So I think I was right in my original assumption, that the soundtrack and also the album, was sacrificed for Mr Bob!  :(    

Would Mr Bob have done the same for MK do you think?   I doubt it very much - he couldn't even take the time to say hello to the band!   ::)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:26:30 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »
I have different feelings. I still consider the Dylan tour is the best thing that could happen to MK's career.
It's not a question of money, fame or success. It's only a question of motivation. Bob gave Mark the strength to go on a couple of years (remember the end of GL tour, even GF had no idea if they would tour again...).

No film score means a busy schedule which means excellent news. They focus on the live thing. (would be more excellent though if it was here in Europe  ;) but it's ok. Let's hope we'll get some nice recordings.
Val, I'm sure you'll have your very own 2013 tour.  ;D

I don't care about film scores, I don't almost even care about new albums.  
The next tour is my only preoccupation. Wanna hear more versions of THC and Marbletown.  Again and again and again.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
Thanks Tunnel85, but for me and you-know-who, the BD/MK tour was a huge disappointment.   Not only did we only have half a concert of MK, but we then had to endure the almost unlistenably high volume at Manchester (ear plugs were essential) and also Bob's terrible barking and screaming!  Coupled with that, our concert was prior to MK joining Bob on stage, so we didn't even have that to sugar the pill.

The new album is something I am looking forward to immensely - I can't wait - and I love MK's soundtracks too, but I can easily do without another Dylan tour!   I hope to meet you again on my MK tour next year though!  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 04:00:43 PM »
While I can understand the comments about Dylan's performances these days (I said long ago in this forum that he can be a hard listen these days and that his performances are less consistent than Mark's), I think you're taking a very short-sighted view.

What you got were over 30 Mark Knopfler performances that you wouldn't have got but for the Dylan tour. Even if, from your limited perspective, you regard them as half-concerts, that's more than 15 additional "concerts". As an extra, you got Mark contributing to Dylan's set at a number of shows. That, initself, should have been of some interest to you. You also got "early" versions of some new songs, which may well be changed by the time they appear on studio disc and in any later shows, giving you the chance to see how he develops his songs over time. And that's not to mention the question of the "motivation effect" of the shows on Mark, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Even to take your view at face value, the "price" of this was a possible delay in the release of Mark's new album (as nobody is really sure when he would have finished and released it, had he not toured with Dylan, so there might have been no delay) and a delay in the resulting album-supporting concerts (ditto). Irrespective of their date, Mark's likely to be doing these concerts anyway, so that's not a real loss.  You may have "lost" a soundtrack album but even that is far from established.

I think that's a pretty fair trade-off. Glass half-full or glass half-empty?

Incidentally, in January and February 2012, Dylan has set to in Jackson Browne's Santa Monica studio and recorded his own new album. One rumour was that MK would guest on it but, as the dates seems to clash with Mark's own post-recording activities, it seems unlikely - unless he phoned his contribution in, of course.

Love Expresso

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »
Well, I only can say that I enjoyed my arse off during my two shows last Oct/Nov, that it really would have been a pity if I would have missed them and that I am happy that I saw Mark AND Bob both live and alive and kicking on stage and giving me and the audience (especially Hannover) a very good time.

And I can't pity about a not-produced soundtrack, sorry, from the same reason that I can't be unhappy because of all the albums MK did NOT record from 1996 to 2000, or from 1991 to 1996 and so on...

I think MK's daily life has more decisions than we know, and Guy is really right in keeping it inside as long as possible. As long as we don't know it, we can't get upset about it. Maybe Katie Perry has asked him and he has declined, just imagine! !  :o

Let's looking forward a really great next album. It can't be bad with Haul Away and Privateering on it, I am sure!

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »
twm - My comments were mainly about the concert that my husband and I attended in Manchester.   The Dylan part of the concert was not a pleasant experience for either of us.  The volume (for BD) was ear-splittingly loud and, for us, there wasn't even  the "extra" of MK joining BD on stage at that particular point in the tour!  At least that would have been some compensation.

As for the "motivation" aspect that was mentioned earlier - we have to go back to the 2010 tour, when MK's back was a big problem.  After the tour ended we didn't hear much about him at all - he didn't even perform at the Prince's Trust with Guy.  We don't know what was happening, but maybe it was all connected to his back injury - who can say!  I'm pretty sure, though, that the songs for the new album, were being written, or had even already been written, because in March 2011 the news came that they were back in the studio, so I don't think that it was Bob's invitation that motivated MK - he was already motivated!   What we are talking about is a delayed album and a cancelled soundtrack and I believe that the invitation to join Bob on tour was irresistable to MK and everything else went by the wayside - after all Bob is his hero!  

btw twm,  My glass is always half full regarding MK!   I know he will continue to be motivated without any help from Dylan!

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2012, 05:46:51 PM »
Superval99, I absolutely understand your disappointment.
I was lucky enough to have experienced different situations, including two shows not too loud and with MK on stage.
I have to say that clearly made a huge difference and Bob's shows happened to be more enjoyable, even after MK had left.  

I agree with twm about the extra MK shows we've had thanks to Bob Dylan. A bonus !
twm, the glass is not half-full nor half-empty. It's empty now but it was full of champagne and I've enjoyed until the last drop.  

I'm a bit rough when I say I don't care about studio albums but somehow it's the truth.
I've been waiting for years for another LOG or Princess Bride and only got Shangri-La, KTGC and GL.
There are always a few gems in each album but I don't expect anymore a great studio album.  
Live is so different : a 10 minute track can save your evening and then you can enjoy it during years (if it's taped or filmed  ::) ).

I'm ready for a Bob tour. My chances of being there in person are below zero but I won't give up easily.
At least it will be for me a good excuse to tour "a little bit more" in 2013 and it would be great to meet you this time. And also meet all the ones I've missed ... ;D

Yes, I also hope to meet you on tour.  

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2012, 06:35:01 PM »
Thanks Tunnel85, but for me and you-know-who, the BD/MK tour was a huge disappointment.   Not only did we only have half a concert of MK, but we then had to endure the almost unlistenably high volume at Manchester (ear plugs were essential) and also Bob's terrible barking and screaming!  Coupled with that, our concert was prior to MK joining Bob on stage, so we didn't even have that to sugar the pill.

The new album is something I am looking forward to immensely - I can't wait - and I love MK's soundtracks too, but I can easily do without another Dylan tour!   I hope to meet you again on my MK tour next year though!  :)
Don't agree on the sacrifice superV. We would have not seen any mark at all last autumn, so it was indeed a nice bonus. And I would also prefer them working on the new album and on touring then on some film score (even though I love the work he has done in that field) and most importantly, let us not forget the various hints about the possible release of live shows, let them pllllllssssss work on that....
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2012, 06:47:32 PM »
Pottel - Maybe sacrifice was a bit strong, but I'm sure a lot more work would have been done on the album if Bob hadn't got in the way - it might even have been released last September and we would have had the promos as usual and been looking forward to a tour THIS year!   I just hope we get the promos this Autumn - that would be a much more enticing prospect!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
I am only looking forward to those live recordings these days, honestly. The album will come, that is a definite, but the live recs are still in limbo...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2012, 06:59:50 PM »
I am only looking forward to those live recordings these days, honestly. The album will come, that is a definite, but the live recs are still in limbo...

Which live recordings are you talking about, pottel?     The last BD/MK tour or the MK recordings that Guy mentioned?    I would have thought you had all of those available from the BD tour, I know I have.    I would much rather have a promo tour!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2012, 07:40:45 PM »
I know that the sound volume in Dylan's portion of the show did cause concern. It certainly went up during the course of his set and then stayed "up" thereafter. I was less concerned about this than others but quite a few people commented adversely afterwards.  Maybe, this was not to the extent that you seem to have been affected but it was to the extent that it became a bone of contention for some patrons. We were upstairs for all the shows we attended and maybe the effect was more marked up there. Equally, it could be that the sound desk was downstairs, under a gallery and/or behind crowds of standing people, which served to muffle the sound and resulted in the technical crews jacking the volume up.

Was or is there any indication at all that Mark, had he not gone on the Dylan tour, would have released his new album last September? If so, what was being suggested?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
twm, We were in the stalls at our concert - 4th row and the sound was perfect for MK, but it was excessively loud for BD and we were in the same seats, of course, for both sets!   So it had to be Bob's sound that was cranked up!   Even one of the officials mentioned MK's perfect sound to us and was mystified why BD's soundmen couldn't have done the same!   I have seen MK many times at Manchester MEN and the sound has always been spot-on.

Regarding the album being released last September.   Of course, it is never set in stone, but if everything had proceeded in the usual pattern, we could have had an album last Autumn, with promos to follow.  Going into the studio did, however, start a bit later than usual - March, but I remember we were still excited that we would have an album last year, until, that is, we heard news of Bob's invitation and then the album was delayed/put on hold.  Yes, there are a lot of "ifs and buts"in here!    I hope we get some promos this year!   ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:08:31 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 40 queries.