Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: NHBs concert recordings  (Read 5219 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
NHBs concert recordings
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »
In the "Everly Brothers" thread, you will find that I have been searching my boxes of cassettes. I have found cassettes of NHB concerts that I did not record myself:

1) Portsmouth Guildhall (12 April 1990)
2) Glasgow Radio Clyde broadcast (presumably from the 25 April 1990 show and probably incomplete)

Are these recordings in circulated?

I thought I had recorded the Glasgow show in full myself but haven't located the cassettes. I actually recall the events after the show better. There was a gaggle of people waiting outside, when one of the crew invited everyone inside. We were asked to sit in the stalls but in every other row. Then the musicians appeared and, going in a line down the empty rows, moved slowly, signing things and talking to fans in the occupied rows. Maybe it happened elsewhere.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: NHBs concert recordings
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »
This is, according to Jeroen site, all the NHB recordings availables:

http://www.oneverybootleg.nl/NHB.htm
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »

Lockerbie 1990 is missing from the list.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »

Lockerbie 1990 is missing from the list.

Thats the cd list. The dvd list is this one:

http://www.oneverybootleg.nl/DVD.htm#THE_NOTTING_HILLBILLIES__1990-1999___

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 03:54:41 PM »
Thanks, jbaent.  I had seen the site before but thought it referred to bootleg albums, rather than a list of all DS/NHB/MK recordings, whether on bootleg albums or not.

I thought this (1) because it used what I might call "titles" for each recording and (2) because it measured the length of the recordings in terms of the length of a CD. I had hoped that there might be, somewhere on-line, a site akin to the following one. If you just keep clicking the highlighted links, you move from the overview to get more and more detail, drilling right down to songs recorded at individual sessions and songlists for each concert, with a lot of other detail as well:

http://www.bjorner.com/chronologies.htm

This is just part of the site, by the way, but I wasn't necessarily seeking that amount of detail but something with a similar approach would be helpful.

As superval pointed out, it may be comprehensive but it isn't complete. If I get the time, I'll look through other pages and see if anything else comes to mind. Incidentally, I am pretty certain that the Lockerbie recording came out through mrs twm, since we attended the show with a friend and I don't think anyone else from "MK World" was there. Some time, I'll tell the tale - or some of it, anyway.

The other thing to say is that because something is not an audience recording that doesn't make it a "soundboard" recording. It isn't a binary choice - one or the other, audience or soundboard. If a single term is sought to differentiate these things, I'd suggest something like "line" recording rather than "soundboard". Some "soundboard" recordings listed may be from soundboards but not all.

SUBSEQUENT ADDITION: I did like the comments on individual shows and songs, by the way. For an "outsider" like me, these were helpful and interesting.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:16:13 PM by twm »

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »
So it was your wife who recorded on video the Lockerbie concert?

If you click on each of the recordings you can see the songs and also have comments about the quality and source of the recordings, beyond audience and soundboard.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:21:06 PM by jbaent »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 05:07:39 PM »
No, it wasn't mrs twm. I was also there, as was a mutual friend. I have to dash out now. I'll try to relate the story in due course.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »
OK, back home. That took less time than I had anticipated. Here's the story.

We used to live not too far from Lockerbie. The concert was a charity event, the proceeds going to the Lockerbie Fund, as I recall.  It was  also intended to offer a bit of entertainment to the folk of Lockerbie, who had suffered in that dreadful tragedy, not that long before. It was therefore not a concert on the list of regular tour dates. Our local newspaper, for which Lockerbie was probably on the outer reaches of its readership, carried an article about it.  Mrs twm wanted to go (of course) and got the tickets. It was clearly a general admission event, so she left early to get a good place in the queue.  After work, I went home and, as I got ready,caught the local news on the TV (at that time, we had a TV station in the town). The TV news item clearly showed that the venue was no longer a cinema but was now a bingo hall. This meant that downstairs did not have rows of seats but sets of tables and chairs, with all the people sitting at right angles to the stage. The news clip also showed part of the balcony and that had regular seating. A friend of ours had expressed an interest in attending. He was a video trader and wanted to try out a new video camera that he had bought. He and I drove to Lockerbie and, by the time we arrived, there was a long queue. We drove slowly by and there was mrs twm, sitting on a fold-down stool at the head of the queue, intently reading a book. We parked, went back to the venue, joined her at the head of the queue and told her about the seating arrangements. We all agreed to head straight upstairs and grab the best seats we could.  As it happens, the front seats on the left were reserved for local dignatories but we got the front seats to the right, on the balcony. I made a tape recording of the whole show but, on the way home in the car, it was evident that the tape had simply not pulled properly through the pinch mechanism, so the resultant recording was unusuable. At the time, we didn't know how the video had come out. Our friend was not happy with it at all. For him, quite experienced in "filming" concerts, he thought it should have been better. He had a good position looking down on the stage, no hassle from security, an unobstructed view of the proceedings in a small venue and he was able to keep the camera fairly steady throughout but .... there was simply too much "white-out" on the faces to make it an acceptable recording; it was below his standards. Nevertheless, we asked him to put it on a VHS cassette, which he did. He may have been a touch reluctant but he did it for us as we had been friends of long-standing. 

And that's about it except that mrs twm no longer has a video recording of the Lockerbie show, about which I will say no more.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 06:46:07 PM »
Many thanks twm!    I will think of you and Mrs twm next time I watch the video.  It's nice to have some background info about the recordings.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 11:04:08 PM »
love those stories too.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:04:29 PM »
i also do like the his bobness info site twm, know that one?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »
so that porthsmouth rec. of yours is most def. not freely circulating. now that would be a nice thing to start with :)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 11:34:38 PM »
I'd love to know what more surprises TWM has in his cassete collection

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 04:18:39 AM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 35 queries.