Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Alchemy Live - 20th Anniversary Edition  (Read 74690 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Alchemy Live - 20th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »
well, maybe yall wanna wait till you hear it for yourself, at home, on your home cinema systems? before giving all these opninions? feels a bit like the monte carlo thread.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2010, 01:17:53 AM »
Bad that my dvd+dvr doesn
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »
well, maybe yall wanna wait till you hear it for yourself, at home, on your home cinema systems? before giving all these opinions? feels a bit like the monte carlo thread.
I absolutely agree, Pottel.

Of course the vocals aren't redone. And of course a remix will affect the sound, that's what a remix does. Chuck said in an interview that he thought that the band played fantastic, but the original mix was terrible. From just hearing the clip, I don't think the voice sounds processed at all, but quite natural, less EQed in a way. I think the teaser sounds fantastic, so I am really looking forward to a proper sounding Alchemy. But, you could e-mail Chuck, I think he is known to answer e-mails in a very friendly and informative way.

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2010, 10:57:18 PM »
Sound and the perception of sound is extremely subjective. Just because someone says something was a bad mix doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyed immensely by others. There are in my opinion far too many hugely over-processed albums - but that is my opinion and I am sure the sound engineers at the time were rubbing their lapels with pride when their work was done.

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2010, 11:46:34 PM »
Sound and the perception of sound is extremely subjective. Just because someone says something was a bad mix doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyed immensely by others. There are in my opinion far too many hugely over-processed albums - but that is my opinion and I am sure the sound engineers at the time were rubbing their lapels with pride when their work was done.
Absolutely ;)

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2010, 12:19:17 AM »
Slightly OT but relevant I think. I remember a Def Leppard documentary on their album Pyromania which took years to make and was so over-processed that it was not possible for 4 guys to make the sounds that emanated from it (40 guys maybe with a load of synthetic sounds!). They subsequently asked Jim Steinman to produce their next album and he wrapped it up in a few weeks - but the band didn't like the sound - they thought he hadn't spent long enough mixing/mastering it so they sacked him. Jim Steinman - the guy who wrote and produced probably one of the best selling albums of all time! :-)

The following quote by Steinman says it all as far as I am concerned:

"That was bullshit, like working with blanks. I've come to believe that Def Leppard is basically like George Bush, a package item with an amazing amount of confection and no content. They're just like Spinal Tap. It's really all the producer - a Mutt Lange creation. They come out as great records, beautifully layered technically, but so empty".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:24:44 AM by Simon »

Love Expresso

« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2010, 07:51:31 AM »
  "That was bullshit, like working with blanks. I've come to believe that Def Leppard is basically like George Bush, a package item with an amazing amount of confection and no content. They're just like Spinal Tap. It's really all the producer - a Mutt Lange creation. They come out as great records, beautifully layered technically, but so empty".

So quite the opposite of Dire Straits! What do you think? ;)

LE

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »

[/quote]

A bit like a christmas hamper,full of straw & paper & little else ::) - it looks good from the outside though :o :o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »
Confirmed that the deluxe version includes the 2 cd version that we already have, it means that it doesn
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »
It's utterly ridiculous that the new mixes aren't included. I will buy the DVD only.

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2010, 03:26:09 PM »
It's utterly ridiculous that the new mixes aren't included. I will buy the DVD only.

Agreed, I'm in the same boat, I bought the copied dvd on ebay a few years ago,the quality is ok & its certainly easier to store than the vhs copy but Chucks version obviously has to be far superior - no way am I buying a deluxe version that includes 2 cds that I have already though - a bit of a waste of money really if you ask me just to have a a box set ::)
If it aint broke dont fix it!

OfflineboboDS

• Camerado
  • Alchemy DVD!
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2010, 04:59:48 PM »
Confirmed that the deluxe version includes the 2 cd version that we already have, it means that it doesn
It's hot in the desert
But I'm cool in the zone
People call me lucky
But I say you make your own

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
Maybe the Chuck Ainley remix is just the 5.1 surround version, and this format CANNOT be pressed to a normal CD ...

At least I now understand it the way that the bonus material is also on the Bluray, I already saw a horror scenario that I must buy the Bluray for HD, PLUS the Deluxe DVD for that bonus stuff (which will be better quality than the versions we have of it). This would have been a no-go for me, I rather would have illegally downloaded the bonus stuff somewhere before paying for Alchemy for the 5th time then (vinyl, VHS, CD, DVD, Bluray)
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
Maybe the Chuck Ainley remix is just the 5.1 surround version, and this format CANNOT be pressed to a normal CD ...

Alchemy Live restored to pristine high definition visual clarity, remixed in PCM Uncompressed Stereo and Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:31:11 PM by ustas »

OfflineGennT

• Camerado
  • Where them chilly winds don't blow...
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:47 PM »
IMHO I think by "the original album" they mean the same tracks remixed in a better way without removing or adding additional songs.Original album - Same songs remixed by Chuck! same as in Dire Straits (1978) original album remixed (1996) or something like that! I may be wrong but anyway I did preorder the deluxe edition yesterday.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.246 seconds with 37 queries.