Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Alchemy Live - 20th Anniversary Edition  (Read 74640 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Alchemy Live - 20th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2010, 11:25:11 AM »
I'm having constant battles with myself about should i buy a Blu ray player or not.
The thought of seeing Alchemy in high def is a delicious thought, but can i justify the price of a Blu ray player just for that?
Avatar has just been released in Blu ray too this week, which is making me think, Oh sod it!!!! :o

What should i do!!????

Will Alchemy in Blu ray completely blow the Dvd picture and sound away???

Help me please............................

Cheers   BBB

Nigel, you can pick up this Blu Ray player cheap:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168916

Good reviews and apparently it's quite uniqie in Blu Ray players in that it will play Blu Ray discs from other countries too.

On the Def Leppard thing, if you listen to Brian Adams releases from the late 80s/early 90s (also produced by Mutt Lange) they sound pretty much identical.

Sorry, I'm supposed to be away from teh forum, but I'm getting excited about Alchemy. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »
You should be very careful then because almost everbody around here is already spoiled (even Goldenheart96 ;D) and therefore very careless about
song titles, set lists etc.. And that in almost every post! Folks are very interested in YOUR opinion about everything! :lol

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2010, 11:41:18 AM »
OK, thanks for the tip, I've probably pushed my luck too far, I'm out of here.

If anyone wants to meet up in Glasgow drop me a PM. :)

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #168 on: April 29, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
Thanks for the advice peeps.
Still can't make up my mind :)
Might just buy Alchemy on Dvd for now, and decide on a Blu ray player later.
But i'll probably still change my mind on a daily basis. :lol

Cheers   BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #169 on: April 29, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »
BBB, with `Full HD` TV, a BluRay movie really comes alive. Its terrific really. There are heaps of reviews on the quality of BluRay releases. Can`t wait for Alchemy on BR myself, if they`ve gone to trouble to release it in that format i can`t imagine it not being impressive. I guess everyone has their own opinions.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Love Expresso

« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2010, 09:21:11 PM »
Watch out for a fantasic Alchemy competition coming very soon. You are advised not to pre-order from anywhere until you see the competition details.  From MKNews Site.

Is it not a strange thing to deter people from pre-ordering because of a little Unofficial Fan Site for about one week now? I think this is very counterproductive to a commercially motivated re-release... Totally unobjective of course, but I was thinking about it and wondered, when will the competition start?

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2010, 04:23:12 PM »
Watch out for a fantasic Alchemy competition coming very soon. You are advised not to pre-order from anywhere until you see the competition details.  From MKNews Site.

Is it not a strange thing to deter people from pre-ordering because of a little Unofficial Fan Site for about one week now? I think this is very counterproductive to a commercially motivated re-release... Totally unobjective of course, but I was thinking about it and wondered, when will the competition start?

LE

I suppose it could be that if you buy it directly from mk.com you get entered into a prize draw?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #172 on: May 04, 2010, 05:22:59 PM »

LE

MKNEWS is more official than MK.com... The news on mk.com are written directly by TK, posted after he post the news in MKNEWS, which creation was supported by Ed Bicknell and now by Paul Crockford, and the site claims to be official because it is official, and it
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #173 on: May 04, 2010, 08:28:03 PM »
Watch out for a fantasic Alchemy competition coming very soon. You are advised not to pre-order from anywhere until you see the competition details.  From MKNews Site.
Is it not a strange thing to deter people from pre-ordering because of a little Unofficial Fan Site for about one week now?  

LE

MKNEWS is more official than MK.com... The news on mk.com are written directly by TK, posted after he post the news in MKNEWS, which creation was supported by Ed Bicknell and now by Paul Crockford, and the site claims to be official because it is official,

You are right, I often forget about these things... But the only only official, I mean REALLY offical site is AMIT FORUM anyway, isn't it? That's official... :lol

LE

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #174 on: May 04, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »
Watch out for a fantasic Alchemy competition coming very soon. You are advised not to pre-order from anywhere until you see the competition details.  From MKNews Site.
Is it not a strange thing to deter people from pre-ordering because of a little Unofficial Fan Site for about one week now?  

LE

MKNEWS is more official than MK.com... The news on mk.com are written directly by TK, posted after he post the news in MKNEWS, which creation was supported by Ed Bicknell and now by Paul Crockford, and the site claims to be official because it is official,

You are right, I often forget about these things... But the only only official, I mean REALLY offical site is AMIT FORUM anyway, isn't it? That's official... :lol

LE

As a FAN I'm looking for NEWS here, in AMIT. MKNews could be SUPER OFFICIAL. It does not matter.

Rollergirl

« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2010, 12:07:14 PM »
The competition is now on but, why did we have to wait to preorder?  ???

Love Expresso

« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2010, 10:33:01 PM »
Well, I filled in the formular and received an e-mail. If i confirm the link I "will be kept up to date on what's going on with Dire Straits."  ??
Somehow I have the feel these guys are not very much into it.

LE

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2010, 12:34:27 AM »
Well, I filled in the formular and received an e-mail. If i confirm the link I "will be kept up to date on what's going on with Dire Straits."  ??
Somehow I have the feel these guys are not very much into it.

LE

Yes, we're going to get text-messages whenever Dire Straits goes on Tour :D Now i have to keep an eye on my mobile phone every minute ::)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2010, 08:09:20 AM »
I Have It!!!!!!  ;D

On Blu-Ray. I called our local shop who said they`d just got them in, when i asked if I still had to wait for Fri they said `Nahhh!`

Packaging is underwhelming, crappy leaflet inside with a blurb that i could`ve wrote about the 80s! Will watch the documentary and extras tonight (maybe Sultans too) because my wife is out. So still planning to have a big premiere tomorrow evening, snacks provided, pls bring your own drinks - you`re all invited of course!  :D

Oh day of days! I`ve been waiting for this ever since i joined Knopfler forums to ask "Why No Alchemy?"!!!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
I Have It!!!!!!  ;D
Great ! please let us know how it is ! :)
I love Alchemy, because it is a legendary concert, the first of its kind with extended versions.
Nonetheless, while I love it very much and will definitely by it on Blue-Ray, I feel that this is not the *very best* concert.
IMHO:
- The LoG tour was a bit too rough
- The OES tour was a bit too polished (especially because of the (ab)use of Paul Franklin's steel guitar)
- The BiA tour was just right: more polished than LoG (more "liquid" guitar, for a lack of a better work, nice use of Saxophone on SoS and R&J for instance). But, it laked Telegraph Road...
- As for TR, it seemed that we will only get the Alchemy version; nice, energetic, but rough. The OES version had nice saxophone but was somehow spoiled by the steel guitar. The 96 version is really the best to me (especially Vaison) but is unlikely to be released officially; the 2001 and 2005 versions are nice but not as energetic as the 96 ones; as for the 2008 and 2010 versions, they are a bit too laid-back for me.
- As for ToL, again the Alchemy version is great but a bit too rough; the BiA versions are nicer, but for me nothing will beat Munich'91: lovely and gorgeous...

Anyway, I guess we will have to be centented with Alchemy. Not that bad anyway :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 49 queries.