Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Straits Charity in RAH?  (Read 164937 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: "DS" Charity in RAH?
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2011, 07:49:15 PM »
Poor Guy!   He seems a bit exhausted!    :-\
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineknopflerized

• Romeo
  • I might Get Lucky ...
    • Mark In Summer Long Ago
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »
here's the answer....

Doc, Thanks for all your work on the site. We would be lost without you. I just recieved a mail offering me tickets for a charity concert by a band called the Straits. Are you and Mark involved in this? It's at the RAH on 22nd May 2011. This is the Info I recieved... Former members of Dire Straits plus some very special guests will come together on 22 May as The Straits for a special one off Charity gig at the Royal Albert Hall. The Straits will be playing Dire Straits

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »
Ha!    Perfect reply!    ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineknopflerized

• Romeo
  • I might Get Lucky ...
    • Mark In Summer Long Ago
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2011, 08:15:23 PM »
Guy replied something else in the forum !! :p He confirmed that they are rercoding the new album

I'll mention it Andrew...and YES, we are recording a new album!

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
Yeah! Yippie! Yahooo!  ;D

Good news!

<opens a bottle of finest beer>

;D
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »
I reckon the casual fan is only interested in hearing the song being played and seeing the main man.  After all he is "the voice and guitar of Dire Straits," now where have I heard that before!  I really don't think that casual fans, and that's the majority, are that interested in the rest of the band.

Interesting comment dmg, because i find the opposite is true.
I count myself as a 'Hardcore' DS/MK fan of over 30 years, and of course Mark is the reason 99% of people (including me) go to his concerts etc...
But for me, i'd happily go and see a band if one of the ex members, or someone who has collaborated with Mark is playing, even though Mark is not.
I have seen John Illsley with Chris White in his band in London a couple of times.
Also i have been to see Dennis Locorriere (from Dr Hook) just because Pick Withers was in his band.
Pick was also the drummer in a band recently called Gary Fletchers Blues band, who i went to see, again, only because Pick was there.
Although the excitement levels wern't quite as high as seeing Mark, it was still great to hear his style of drumming, and tieing it in with the early DS sound.
A few years back, i saw George Michael with my wife. Now this wasn't because i like George Michael. ( Give me some credit) ;D
But because Danny Cummings was on percussion, and Phil Palmer was on guitar.
I even got tickets to see Jimmy Nail. Not only because Mark performed on the 'Big River' song, but because Marcus Cliffe from the Notting Hillbillies was playing bass.
For me, seeing anyone who has been importantly connected with Mark is a great thrill.

Cheers   BBB
That's what I meant by my comment;  that only the hardcore's like you and I would be interested in the other band members.  If I lived locally I would go along but it's too far to travel for me.  If Mark was there I might make an effort mind you!

Exactly!  Mark has to be there to make the difference! 

Of course Mark is the difference, and i will never get the same feeling seeing anyone live as i do seeing Mark, but i also get a thrill from seeing other band members from the past and the present, who have ALSO contributed to the overall sound.
I will always try to see Mark as many times as i can on his tours, because HE is the man. No one can ever replicate his AMAZING guitar and his ever improving voice, but if i ever get the chance to see some of the other members, some of which used to be on my  Dire Straits posters on my bedroom wall as a young man (BBB goes red) then i will always do my best to go.

Cheers   BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2011, 10:19:27 AM »
BBB,  Of course, I understand and respect completely your reasons for wanting to see other members of the band, how could I disagree with that?   But the question is, does that fact alone make you a "hardcore" fan and those of us who are not so interested in seeing band members without MK, as much as yourself and dmg, mere "casual" fans, as dmg suggested in his post?      :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 12:54:05 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJon

• Local Hero
    • Dire Fakes Website
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
This topic actually raises some interesting points about what motivates people to attend events/stay at home.  In the case of MK, is it the man, the music or a mixture of both?  Even on this forum, there is obviously a mixture of viewpoints & I would think that most forum members probably are 'hardcore fans'. 

I'm actually considering attending this event, partly because I have to confess that I'm curious about it, but also because of how I feel about this music.  I welcome opportunities to hear it performed (well).  As a member of a DS tribute, perhaps I have a skewed perspective on this, as I'd obviously like people to be enthused about MK's songs as well as his personal performances.  However if you think outside the realms of 'popular' music, it's not unusual to appreciate performers who have not taken part in the writing process, or indeed may have been born hundreds of years after the music was first performed.  Yet this doesn't actually detract from the performances themselves.  No doubting that this event would be of more interest if MK (and JI), were participating, but I'm starting to think that for me, the music itself might actually be enough to tempt me out for this. 

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2011, 02:09:23 PM »
If I was living in London I would not hesitate to go.
If mark was involved I would not hesitate to go.

I must admit that Alan being part of the band is something that give me some regrets  to miss this gig and the opportunity to hear at last is magic part on TOL.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2011, 03:24:14 PM »
If I was living in London I would not hesitate to go.
If mark was involved I would not hesitate to go.

That applies to me, precisely!    The fact is that I live hundreds of miles from London, so unless Mark was playing, it is unlikely I would be there.
Goin' into Tow Law....

• Lady writer
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
BBB,  Of course, I understand and respect completely your reasons for wanting to see other members of the band, how could I disagree with that?   But the question is, does that fact alone make you a "hardcore" fan and those of us who are not so interested in seeing band members without MK, as much as yourself and dmg, mere "casual" fans, as dmg suggested in his post?      :)

You missed my point.
The word 'Hardcore' was probably mis-used by me, because i in no way meant that i was more of a fan than anyone else just because i like to see other ex band members. This couldn't be further than the truth. It's purely the fact that i enjoy seeing other people who have been heavily associated with Mark over the years.
In my view we are ALL here, on this forum massive fans in our own right, there is certainly no league table of No.1 fan, No.2 fan etc..............
I remember i made a comment on the orig MK News forum about 4 yrs ago, where i used the term that all the members of the forum were the 'Cream of Knopfler fans', this i remember caused the post to be deleted because it offended people, because people who read it that were not official members thought they were being made to feel less of a fan.
Crazy really, because again, this was not what i meant. :)

I love you all Knopflerados.

Cheers    BBB :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2011, 09:43:28 PM »
I remember that. I knew what you meant. Storm in a teacup. How anybody could be offended by this stuff is beyond me.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »
BBB,  Of course, I understand and respect completely your reasons for wanting to see other members of the band, how could I disagree with that?   But the question is, does that fact alone make you a "hardcore" fan and those of us who are not so interested in seeing band members without MK, as much as yourself and dmg, mere "casual" fans, as dmg suggested in his post?      :)

You missed my point.
The word 'Hardcore' was probably mis-used by me, because i in no way meant that i was more of a fan than anyone else just because i like to see other ex band members. This couldn't be further than the truth. It's purely the fact that i enjoy seeing other people who have been heavily associated with Mark over the years.
In my view we are ALL here, on this forum massive fans in our own right, there is certainly no league table of No.1 fan, No.2 fan etc..............
I remember i made a comment on the orig MK News forum about 4 yrs ago, where i used the term that all the members of the forum were the 'Cream of Knopfler fans', this i remember caused the post to be deleted because it offended people, because people who read it that were not official members thought they were being made to feel less of a fan.
Crazy really, because again, this was not what i meant. :)

I love you all Knopflerados.

Cheers    BBB :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Respect!
+ 1
Proud member of the AMIT crew

• Lady writer
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2011, 10:18:12 PM »
BTW.

Just booked my tix for the STRAITS!!!!!!!!!

Block B.

Anyone else going who'd like to meet up, just drop me a line, and we can make a day of it :) ;D

Cheers   BBB

PS my

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2011, 10:25:22 PM »
BBB, I'm so sorry if I upset you,  but I was replying to dmg's comments as much as to you.   What I was trying to say was that there are no different grades of fan on this forum, either casual or hardcore - we are all here because we are great MK/DS fans!     :)   :-*
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 39 queries.