Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (8) Watch me gone  (Read 14510 times)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: (8) Watch me gone
« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2024, 01:43:48 AM »
I much prefer Greg Leisz than Paul Franklin. He seems to have his own sound and play with real feeling not a Nashville hack. What key is he playing in? It sounds different then the usual crying steel guitar sound.

Calling Paul Franklin a Nashville hack is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read, anywhere.

Yep absolute genius. Took pedal steel to corners of the musical world it had no right to go. Up there with Bela Fleck and Tommy E as one of the best.

Dusty, have you ever played one? You really get an appreciation of how great someone like PF is by sitting behind one. It's complexity as an instrument is overlooked....

Yes, I own a basic 3 pedal one. I can get by well enough on some basics to play it live. They sound so cool that even a few basic bends will impress people!

But PF is on another planet.

Sounds great! I'm lucky to have one in the studio although it doesn't get the use it should really. With the full 8 pedals and knee levers I can't think of a more complex instrument to master....

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2024, 03:00:18 AM »
In the first moments of the song I thought, here we go, a beautiful Knopfler song. Then it fizzled out and went nowhere. It is a nice song that could have been so much better in another producers hands maybe.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #227 on: February 24, 2024, 03:10:32 AM »
According to Rolling Stone Italy:

"Mark Knopfler says goodbye to Newcastle in 'Watch Me Gone'.

A departing train, a city, someone to say goodbye to, a dream that only one in a million can achieve. Watch Me Gone is the story of when Knopfler left Newcastle upon Tyne in northern England to pursue his desire to be a musician."

Years 1956 -1967. But already in Newcastle he was fulfilling his dreams. Duet with Sue Hercombe:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #228 on: February 24, 2024, 12:21:33 PM »
And you honestly don't think this means anything?

Come on that's the harshest of criticism. Better to say it doesn't mean anything to you. Doesn't mean it lacks intrinsic artistic value....

What I said maybe was misunderstood because a language barrier.
What i said about "The songs need to mean something" it's not about don't having meaning to someone. Every person reacts different to, in our case, music.

What i wanted do say when the new MK material has a lack of meaning, in reality is about lack of purpose/passion/intensity/power.
Nowadays, is too much generic. Almost played on autopilot.

The song WMG is there, when i listen, i feel that something is missing and i am not talking about MK's guitar work. As i said before, a MK album is made by several people.

Pavel said a interesting stuff about MK change his BG/96ers habits.
I totally agree with him.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #229 on: February 24, 2024, 12:28:44 PM »
I think this a result from how Mark wants it to be nowadays. Deliver these "simple" songs. Surely, he or others could arrange these songs sound more like DS or even that Knopfler from Shangri-La or Get lucky period with typical drums and bass and more easy-to-catch structure. I am lucky, because I find at least something interesting on every song that he delivers.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2024, 01:17:07 PM »
And you honestly don't think this means anything?

Come on that's the harshest of criticism. Better to say it doesn't mean anything to you. Doesn't mean it lacks intrinsic artistic value....

What I said maybe was misunderstood because a language barrier.
What i said about "The songs need to mean something" it's not about don't having meaning to someone. Every person reacts different to, in our case, music.

What i wanted do say when the new MK material has a lack of meaning, in reality is about lack of purpose/passion/intensity/power.
Nowadays, is too much generic. Almost played on autopilot.

The song WMG is there, when i listen, i feel that something is missing and i am not talking about MK's guitar work. As i said before, a MK album is made by several people.

Pavel said a interesting stuff about MK change his BG/96ers habits.
I totally agree with him.

The funniest thing is for us sceptics, at least I'm talking about myself, blind admiration and constant praise are as disturbing as constant scepticism for someone who's more economical with criticism. I've read things like it's the best song they ever heard, and people cried listening to it. Then I wonder, if "Watch Me Gone" makes you cry, what "Schindler's List" theme will do to you? Annihilate?

The truth, as always, is something in between. There is a kernel of overall laziness in this production, Mark being Mark, Guy being Guy, and the song is touching if you're looking for it. "Time for me to disappear" coming from MK is a bit of revelation and touching as hell. The question is, on this scale with emotions on one side, and rationality on the other, what wins? To me, it's, unfortunately, the latter.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #231 on: February 24, 2024, 01:48:48 PM »
Like I just recently watched "Interstellar" for the first time, and it's one of the worst movies I ever seen. But it's quite emotional as well, once you try to look past all its flaws. So I'm in this constant battle of admiring the emotional side, the accuracy of [most] physics portrayed in the movie. But I can't always look past all the flaws, from the ridiculous, childish and saccharine plot, happy end, lazy tributes to other sci-fi movies, the supposed main human villain being named "Mann", as in "man", you see? Man is bad! Also, weak women characters, deus ex machina all over the place. But the music is so great, and the practical effects are so great, and the science is so good, stop tearing me apart! The main question is — would I describe it as the best movie ever made? Would I watch it again? And the answer is NO.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 01:51:58 PM by quizzaciously »

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2024, 04:58:30 PM »
What Mark should have done years ago, for variation, is to hire Daniel Lanois and give him free hands. Lanois is the man behind two of Dylan's best records, and the moody atmosphere on those is sublime.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2024, 05:16:50 PM »
Stunningly beautiful track reminiscent of 'follow the ribbon'
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2024, 05:26:45 PM »
What Mark should have done years ago, for variation, is to hire Daniel Lanois and give him free hands. Lanois is the man behind two of Dylan's best records, and the moody atmosphere on those is sublime.

Yes, Oh, Mercy and Time Out Of Mind. I agree that they are among Bob's best albums. I remember that Guy once has been asked about Lanois and his answer was no, he is way too left or something like that. Never understood exactly what he meant by that.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2024, 06:10:53 PM »

Yes, Oh, Mercy and Time Out Of Mind. I agree that they are among Bob's best albums. I remember that Guy once has been asked about Lanois and his answer was no, he is way too left or something like that. Never understood exactly what he meant by that.

LE

Interesting! Maybe out of left field...?  :think

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2024, 06:14:35 PM »
I mean  understand left as political direction of course but why should that be important in terms of producing music? So I guess it's another language-barrier-mystery to me  :lol

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2024, 06:58:47 PM »

LE

Interesting! Maybe out of left field...?  :think

Interesting info indeed. So it further solidifies the point that this approach is intentional. I think "left" in this context is quite obvious. Right is the right (aka Mark's) way, and left is everything we mere plebs are discussing here. As in more variety in musicians and producers, acoustic versions of stuff, experiments with sound. Somehow Mark managed to put his main teacher and inspiration to shame with his consistency ;D

OfflineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2024, 08:02:05 PM »
^ I think it simply stands for 'left of field', which is quite common musical jargon to say 'experimental' when you regard that term as a synonym for 'weird' and want to be nice. They obviously wouldn't want Lanois to go all Achtung Baby on them

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2024, 08:25:43 PM »
I mean  understand left as political direction of course but why should that be important in terms of producing music? So I guess it's another language-barrier-mystery to me  :lol

LE

MK is pretty left politically. At least as left as you can claims to be as a multimillionaire with various mansions and sports cars.

So I don’t think it’s political.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 39 queries.