Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (8) Watch me gone  (Read 14137 times)

OfflineIron Hand

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: (8) Watch me gone
« Reply #255 on: February 25, 2024, 08:02:37 PM »
But nowadays, man... i miss Tracker.
I think one of the issues I have with Tracker is that the most energetic song (of the main album at least) was released first. It didn't turn out to be indicative of the album's overall feel. Whether or not there is anything similar to Beryl on One Deep River, at least I'm not going into a slow album expecting it to have more than one upbeat song.
a whole bunch of questionable-quality concert recordings which are supposed to replace live albums. I just sometimes don't get it.
Hopefully there will be one or several live solo box sets similar to the DS live one...
"I don't know how you came to get the Bette Davis kneeees"

OnlineGIUMK

• Camerado
« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2024, 08:25:56 PM »
I think one of the issues I have with Tracker is that the most energetic song (of the main album at least) was released first. It didn't turn out to be indicative of the album's overall feel. Whether or not there is anything similar to Beryl on One Deep River, at least I'm not going into a slow album expecting it to have more than one upbeat song.
a whole bunch of questionable-quality concert recordings which are supposed to replace live albums. I just sometimes don't get it.
Hopefully there will be one or several live solo box sets similar to the DS live one...

Sorry, I don't want to cause any controversy and I respect your point of view, but if AOTG isn't cheerful then what do we want?  I think it's cheerful, at least for me.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #257 on: February 25, 2024, 11:48:09 PM »
A spot of visualisation to liven up the track...
Nice touch with the Kittiwakes....

https://youtu.be/cRF1w0yOheo?feature=shared
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2024, 01:28:32 AM »
Sounds like a decent enough filler track. It might have it's purpose as a part of the whole record, but probably won't listen to this one on it's own again.

OfflineIron Hand

• Guitar George
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2024, 09:52:10 AM »

Sorry, I don't want to cause any controversy and I respect your point of view, but if AOTG isn't cheerful then what do we want?  I think it's cheerful, at least for me.
It is, compared to Watch Me Gone. But it hasn't hooked me in the way that Beryl or Good On You Son did.
"I don't know how you came to get the Bette Davis kneeees"

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2024, 11:50:06 AM »
Great song, sounds like it could have been on Privateering.

Yes. Musically, it has similarities to the wonderful "Follow the Ribbon" (which was a B-side to "Privateering", and should have been the closing album track in my opinion).

The Topolski background voices suprised me, too. But I've only listened to the song once (will wait for the album now), and the fact that I still hear them in my head after days is a good sign, I guess. I liked the song a lot.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2024, 11:54:17 AM »
A good song indeed, IMHO. At last. Definitely one of his best songs since 2015. Some of the customary autoplagiarism (musical sections stolen from River Towns, Seattle and Wherever I Go), but also some original chord changes worked out and great melody lines and singing. And the arrangement is beautiful, including his guitar. And dark and intriguing lyrics. Very good stuff overall

I agree. And about the "autoplagiarims": True, but you could say that about every songwriter/musician, and even artists in general. I don't know one single exception. Everyone falls back occasionally on what has worked in the past. Just call it style.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2024, 01:38:52 PM »
"It's all about the surprise effect"

I'm often surprised by how emotionally I react to certain moments in Mark's songs when I hear them for the first time. That can be a chord change, a lick, the combination of meaning and music ... anything. He regularly comes up with such moments, so I'm no longer surprised that they come, but I always am when they do.

I'm not so sure (as Sting is) whether an element of surprise is a necessary ingredient for a good song, though. After all, any surprise will be gone when you listen to it the second time. A great song stays great, however - even when you know it by heart and there are zero surprises anymore.

When it comes to judging the quality of songs, I follow this simple rule: The more I want to listen to the song again, the better it is. I'll want to listen to "Watch Me Gone" a great many times.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2024, 01:40:37 PM »
Nice enough but dull and instantly forgettable.  Backing singers seem completely pointless to me.

After all these years spent on this album the first two released songs have been completely underwhelming.

It may be instantly forgettable to you, but it has been going around in my head all morning!    :)

Mine, too.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2024, 01:43:03 PM »
I think it's a beautiful effort. 2 things that really struck me. 1. Very very personal from mk. Absolutely no frills or hiding behind metaphor. 2. The unforgiving, almost mercenary nature of the central character in the song. Despite the sadness there is absolutely no remorse. Quite stark from mk and emotionally wrenching in itself. Echoes of his (apparent) treatment of his brother and perhaps shows the ruthlessness needed to be successful whilst also managing to create a commentary on the ridiculousness of the whole dream of 'making it'.

Only MK could channel such emotions in such a subtle way. The song really has many layers and is a wolf in sheep's clothing....

Very well put.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2024, 01:51:21 PM »
And I have the feeling that some people here are thrilled by everything, no matter what MK puts out. Sorry ::)

I have the feeling that some people here say exactly this after every new album he releases.

You can of course keep being disappointed by the "lack of guitars" and "lack of energy" again and again. And then again. Or you could accept the fact that what he does is not for you, and find some other artist that meets your needs.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2024, 02:11:51 PM »
And I have the feeling that some people here are thrilled by everything, no matter what MK puts out. Sorry ::)

I have the feeling that some people here say exactly this after every new album he releases.

You can of course keep being disappointed by the "lack of guitars" and "lack of energy" again and again. And then again. Or you could accept the fact that what he does is not for you, and find some other artist that meets your needs.

Kind of agree. Although I think its untenable to deny peoples right to an opinion or to express it on here. For me its the manner in which its done. I mean who on here can really say that Mark is lazy? Who has spent time with him to make that assessment? Its ok to say 'this sounds lazy to me' but please don't put your perceptions on to the artists effort. Just say you don't like it and move on.

I've no doubt that these songs were meticulously crafted with attention to the smallest detail that many of us (Even those of us lucky enough to have spent time in a studio) struggle to grasp.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 02:17:37 PM by 2manyguitars »

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2024, 02:13:08 PM »
I much prefer Greg Leisz than Paul Franklin. He seems to have his own sound and play with real feeling not a Nashville hack.

Interesting statement (although I disagree). If anybody should know the reason why he didn't use Paul Franklin this time, but Greg Leisz, I would be very interested to know.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2024, 02:17:22 PM »
What Mark should have done years ago, for variation, is to hire Daniel Lanois and give him free hands. Lanois is the man behind two of Dylan's best records, and the moody atmosphere on those is sublime.

:thumbsup

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2024, 02:22:13 PM »
I much prefer Greg Leisz than Paul Franklin. He seems to have his own sound and play with real feeling not a Nashville hack.

Interesting statement (although I disagree). If anybody should know the reason why he didn't use Paul Franklin this time, but Greg Leisz, I would be very interested to know.

When MK was recording with the band in London, Paul Franklin was in Nashville recording his second record with Vince Gill as a duo

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 39 queries.