Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Audio/sound/music system?  (Read 1321 times)

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
Audio/sound/music system?
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
I was just wondering if there are fans out there who always use a simple/"cheap" audio system to listen to MK's music at home. Cause it would be such a pity that fans are missing out on things. Just because their sound system doesn't produce the full landscape of Mark his music. The difference in experiencing the music can be big. You could compare it like the difference between an ordinary good meal and haute cuisine.

A proper sound system doesn't necessarily has to be expensive. There are alot of good speakersets and amplifiers offered on the 2nd hand market these days under 100 bucks. Like for example the Tannoy Mercury M3. Ofcourse you need to know what to look at and hear at when buying 2nd hand speakers. If the color of the speaker shows sunburst then forget it. Also it's not wise to buy 2nd hand speakers from people that live really close to the sea or in a house that seems to have alot of humid in the air.
Another option is ofcourse  a good pair of headphones, like the Sennheiser HD580 for example. A great sounding open headphone system which is very comfertable to wear for hours and hours.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
Re: Audio/sound/music system?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 06:58:45 AM »
This is a great topic. I've been in search of my dream system. I haven't had one yet.   :-[For a few years I have Bose sound dock until it got stolen when my house got burglarized. I have a 7.1 Onkyo surround sound in the tv room. I love my B&W speakers in the kitchen where I listen to MK everyday. 

It sure makes a lot of difference when listening to music from a good system  :)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:02:39 AM »
First of all separates are always a must and no all-in-one can match a good separates set up.  A good, sturdy stand to prevent vibration is important too.  It's also good if you can listen to the components connected together as, e.g. connected through other amps a CD player could sound different  and listen with the sort of music you listen to (MK/DS of course).  They may try to get you to buy some interconnects in the shop and some magazines recommend gold plated ones but personally I'd leave it.

The bottom fell out of the hi-fi market years ago and now the top end stuff is really expensive and the cheaper stuff is rubbish!  As Guitarman said the best stuff is on the secondhand market and it's really cheap too.   

My modest system which is many years old now but I bought them new so it shows how long I've had it and therefore how well I rate them is:

CD player:  Sony XA20ES
Pre-amp:  Technics SU-C800M2
Power Amp:  Technics A900S MK2
Mini Disc:  Sony JA20ES
Tape deck:  Technics RSAZ7

On a Stands Unique stand.  Also have a turntable but that's packed away as I never use it and I don't recall the model number.  This set up has served me well through B&W DM801 speakers set on sand filled stands.

Sony ES equipment is all of a very good standard and I'm particularly fond of my CD player.  Wouldn't swap it for anything.

Seems they're still quite sought after:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-XA-20-ES-REFERENCE-CD-PLAYER-with-PUCK-/231267518451?pt=US_CD_Players_Recorders&hash=item35d89e47f3

Funny how the seller calls my amp "retro":  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECHNICS-SE-A900SM2-Power-Amplifier-Matching-SU-C800UM2-PreAmp-Controller-/321440558848?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item4ad759af00

WOW!  I'm sure I only paid
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:23:38 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »
Dmg,

Thanks for all the links. Will check them all out.My Sony CD player is still working very well after many many years. It's hooked up to my B&W speakers.  This combo sounds quite good to me but i'm in search of something better. :D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:39:19 AM »
Dmg,

Thanks for all the links. Will check them all out.My Sony CD player is still working very well after many many years. It's hooked up to my B&W speakers.  This combo sounds quite good to me but i'm in search of something better. :D

Sony CD players are among the best going, or at least used to be.  Not sure about the newer ones.

I would avoid old Marantz ones as they are identical Philips ones under the skin but you pay a premium for the name.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 35 queries.