Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Time To Stop?  (Read 3271 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Time To Stop?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2024, 10:26:10 AM »
No, as long as MK is producing albums/music lets just make the most of it. Not long now until we will enjoy the new forthcoming album!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineMudrian

• Guitar George
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2024, 10:43:55 AM »
I don't understand the need to compare albums that are more than forty years apart.

Mark is like everyone else, he's evolved, aged and so have his tastes and desires.
I'm not even talking about his physical issues and the frustration it must be to no longer be able to play the way he used to.
He's always been more interested in songwriting than the guitar heroe side of things, like one of his idols, Bob Dylan.
Over time he became a storyteller with enormous talent, and even if his solos became less impressive, technically they always served the song.
And as an amateur guitarist, I'm always amazed by the accuracy of the note selection, the beauty of the sound and the perfect feeling. No need to run down scales at top speed, play lots of notes, just ask BB King.
I've been listening to his music for 40 years, and I've learned to appreciate its evolution, the fact that the beauty of the pieces is revealed as I listen to them.
If I were 20 years old today and discovered the new album, would I find it good? I don't know ... but it's certain that at 20 I was more interested in technical virtuosity on the guitar than in the quality of the compositions and the depth of the lyrics.
Everyone evolves.

My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2024, 11:42:41 AM »
I don't understand the need to compare albums that are more than forty years apart.

Mark is like everyone else, he's evolved, aged and so have his tastes and desires.
I'm not even talking about his physical issues and the frustration it must be to no longer be able to play the way he used to.
He's always been more interested in songwriting than the guitar heroe side of things, like one of his idols, Bob Dylan.
Over time he became a storyteller with enormous talent, and even if his solos became less impressive, technically they always served the song.
And as an amateur guitarist, I'm always amazed by the accuracy of the note selection, the beauty of the sound and the perfect feeling. No need to run down scales at top speed, play lots of notes, just ask BB King.
I've been listening to his music for 40 years, and I've learned to appreciate its evolution, the fact that the beauty of the pieces is revealed as I listen to them.
If I were 20 years old today and discovered the new album, would I find it good? I don't know ... but it's certain that at 20 I was more interested in technical virtuosity on the guitar than in the quality of the compositions and the depth of the lyrics.
Everyone evolves.

I agree with everything you said, and I didn't mean to compare the two albums as such. It's obvious that Mark today is a totally different person than almost 50 years ago. It was just an example of a song with playing that I think he could pull off today technically. I too have no need to hear him ripping it up at top speed - I actually think it would be a little ridiculous if he did - but I miss hearing him play like he really means it, not just a few default licks from muscle memory. He still has a wonderful touch and tone, even when he plays three notes. But the "thrill is gone" as it were.

OfflineIron Hand

• Guitar George
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2024, 12:20:37 PM »
just ask BB King.

Everyone evolves.
...Even BB King.  ;)

"I don't know how you came to get the Bette Davis kneeees"

OfflineTommyJ88

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2024, 03:23:44 PM »

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2024, 03:26:11 PM »
And it is good to remember that although Mark is a master to express himself with guitar, he is much more than just a guitarist!

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2024, 02:56:26 PM »
And it is good to remember that although Mark is a master to express himself with guitar, he is much more than just a guitarist!

But since he lost the "guittar hero" the taste is a tad bit bitter.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2024, 06:41:49 PM »
I don't even agree that his guitar playing was so much better ages ago, some of last albums solos count as favourites of mine because he still manages to convey the world in a single note and at the end it's why I'm listening to music for, to get the thrill of understanding a message and an intention with a beautiful succession of note, not necessarily a cascade.
I don't regret alchemy, he could play ten notes in a second, and that was fine, but there was a showy side to it too, and he gained a lot since by restraining himself, willingly or forced by life.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2024, 08:07:11 PM »
(We need a "Like" feature  ::) )

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2024, 08:57:35 PM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.