Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: David Knopfler crowd funding next album  (Read 32317 times)

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
Re: David Knopfler crowd funding next album
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2015, 10:08:10 PM »
Despite the hype about "bedroom recording" £75k is peanuts for a serious production, even these days.

I kind of feel a bit sorry for DK - he's not a great songwriter by any stretch, but he got royally stiffed by his brother who might have at least let him have one track on each album. He's no Mark Knopfler, but then his best stuff is better than his brother's worst. I could have lived without Les Boys, Follow Me Home or Lions for a token DK song.

Oh, man, some of the stinkers Mark has produced.

But in retrospect, Mark was hungry, he was on a roll and (probably pushed by Ed) knew that if he doesn't step on the accelerator big time he may lose his chance. No time for democracy, lenghty band discussions, etc. Humanly speaking Mark's behavior was awful, but I think it was a necessary evil at that time.

This might be the best résumé of this whole monkey business that totally ruined family relationship between DK and MK and for me this is the Saddest part of DS story!!! Money and Ambition are pushing people to do things that have very often heavy consequences!!! Only my point of view!! :wave
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2015, 10:58:49 PM »
As for the money target (75k$) think that the first DS album cost 12,500pounds, 40 years ago. If you do the math, you realise it is logical.

You compare 1970s costs with now however the music industry has changed massively since that time. Artists now may boast of Number 1 records but to reach that pinnacle is significantly easier than a decade or so ago. Record sales are largely down, and self made and self funded records are the way forward - do it yourself, release it yourself and cut the middle man out. There are lots of new artists doing that - I buy their material. Most have day time jobs and manage, with small scale tours in support. Large scale arena and stadium acts are dying out, as are massively expensive albums. Albums rarely make money back - people but tracks on itunes they like, or more likely rip them off the internet for nothing.

If he wants to do this and gets the funding then best of luck to him. However, as others have said, albums can be made with significantly less expenditure. Same goes for session musicians - there's no Hendrix-esque solos screaming out from his albums that may necessitate hiring in musical gurus so the extra expense for more "name" artists seems rather a waste. He should offer them a % cut of the profits in exchange for them doing it free......that would give an indication as to everyone's faith in the material to turn a profit in these evolving musical times.

As I say, best of luck to him but earning £75k from sales just to break even would seem to me to be quite ambitious for him.

I agree with you Mr Justice. 

Having produced and released music myself, the price tag of £75k is simply outlandish when in this day and age a quality studio set up can easily be obtained for relatively little cost.  As he says in his bid to get us his cash, he already has a home studio where most of the tunes have been written.  If I were to consider putting any money into his project, for me he would need to clearly set out his business plan, outlining costs of studio time, mixing, mastering, pressing and distribution alongside projected sales.  He doesn't do this.

However, putting the basic viability of  his project aside, what irks me more is that the whole basis for his crowdfunding venture is based upon wanting to produce a quality product, with an air of snobbery about home produced "churned out" music as he terms it. Fine, but he also says that he wants to do this before he goes on tour later this year so he can sell it.  I believe he is on tour in October, so that leaves him September to record, mix, master, press, promote and distribute his album.  That won't be quality - that will be rushed.

He should take some of his royalties that he undoubtedly earns still from Dire Straits and invest himself.  Or call his brother and ask for some studio time before asking us to part for our hard earned cash.

And if you do put your money in, fair dos, that's up to you - but I wouldn't pay £150 for a thank-you.

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2015, 09:18:48 AM »
Stingcheese=Jackal?Is it you? Welcome back man! Haven't been regular to AMIT, due to the Greek situation and didn't notice your return and  new nick!

Yeah, man, thanks. I'm not planning to be as active as I was, but it's nice to stop by once in a while. Wish you best of luck with the situation in your country. Such a mess.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2015, 11:35:14 AM »
@the visitor. Hey man, post the address to hear some of your music! Would be lovely to listen to!

As for the 75k$, your points make more sense(especially the timetable), but still we can't be inside the head of the musician and what he wishes to do. And as I see it, you don't have to come up with 150$. Pre-buying his music in CD/vinyl, a CD/vinyl that you would (probably) buy anyway, is a nice way to fund the original cost. Of course I hope he makes it by such fundraising, most, because it would prove the solidarity of his fan base.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
David Knopfler fan base?

Unfortunately for him, seems to be not that large.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »
Yes, but he only needs around 1900 people to pre-buy his CD/Vinyl to reach the target. This is not so hard is it? Except if they all come from Greece like me and have trouble sending money abroad.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2015, 11:54:58 PM »
I could live a couple of years with this kind of money.  So I guess he is targeting the already having.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2015, 11:57:00 PM »
On a slightly different note, when are The Straits' original recordings being released?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »
On a slightly different note, when are The Straits' original recordings being released?

The Straits don´t exist since more or less last year. Alan Clark and Chris White took veri different ways after that:

Alan Clark has founded a band with some of the musicians involved in The Straits (Andy Treacey, Jamie Squire, Adam Phillips and Jake Newman) and they called themselfs Y-COMPANY and they are recording an EP:

http://www.alanclarkmusic.com/news.html

Chris White, together with Terence Reis, OES tour drummer CHRIS WHITTEN, and Micky Feat, with other unknown musicians for me, continued with the band, changing the name into "Dire Straits Experience" and they are still touring:

http://www.direstraits e xperience.com
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:21:28 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2015, 02:19:56 PM »
you probably mean
http://www.direstraitspamperience.com

This forum keeps changing what you write if it looks you are talking about S E X, when it recocnizes the three letters together it´s usually changed automatically... it´s not direstraitspamperience but www.direstraits e xperience.com
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »
It's possible to write the F word and other swear words, but not s e x. That's funny. Strange even. Is it because of spamming?

11-54_Stringcheese

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »
I find this hilarious:

ORIGINAL BAND MEMBER CHRIS WHITE AND SIX WORLD CLASS MUSICIANS PERFORM THE MUSIC OF DIRE STRAITS

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2015, 10:40:18 PM »
funny how on the Chris Whitten Bio on the DS Experience page,
they write "18 month long ‘On Every Street’ world tour with Dire Straits. "

I think it was a little bit shorter :)

Well he did not check before writing but that is not that important : August 23 1991 - 09 October 09 1992 -> 15 months.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »
funny how on the Chris Whitten Bio on the DS Experience page,
they write "18 month long ‘On Every Street’ world tour with Dire Straits. "

I think it was a little bit shorter :)

Well he did not check before writing but that is not that important : August 23 1991 - 09 October 09 1992 -> 15 months.

the BIA tour is often quoted as a "2 years tour", while it "only" took one

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »
I often wonder why so many MK fans despise David.
At least he resurrected this little gem from the Dire Straits debut era. One of the little brothers creations that were so called 'not good enough' for MK / DS. Who said David is not that good of a songwriter ?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 44 queries.