Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: BBC4 Sessions?  (Read 69102 times)

OfflineZeeley

• Camerado
Re: BBC4 Sessions?
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »
If I remember well MK&Co played a whole set, I dont think they did that to have only 2 or 3 songs broadcasted in the end...

This also is a cheap and easy way (for MK and GF) to produce a DVD from this tour with Christmas around the corner....
"Maybe I was born on a bad luck day,
 born under a bad sign"....

Love Expresso

« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »
I cannot say I am very keen on this  BBC4 stuff. Being recorded in a studio (without audience?) interrupted several times and fumbled together is not what I expect from a live DVD, especially not with such a furious tour in mind at such lovely venues... would have been hard to choose which of all those beautiful venues (including the coming US ones!!!) would give the best possible setting for a Live Blu-ray.. instead of that - nothing!

I never liked "A Night In London" because of Mark being so tired/weary/stoned/whatever, and just listen to the last few shows let it be St. Julien, Padova etc. to hear would COULD have been possible - great audience reactions included.

Another opportunity missed.

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »
I cannot say I am very keen on this  BBC4 stuff. Being recorded in a studio (without audience?) interrupted several times and fumbled together is not what I expect from a live DVD, especially not with such a furious tour in mind at such lovely venues... would have been hard to choose which of all those beautiful venues (including the coming US ones!!!) would give the best possible setting for a Live Blu-ray.. instead of that - nothing!

I never liked "A Night In London" because of Mark being so tired/weary/stoned/whatever, and just listen to the last few shows let it be St. Julien, Padova etc. to hear would COULD have been possible - great audience reactions included.

LE

Totally agree with you here.  The Night in London DVD isn't great and the audience is very small and bored looking.  Audience interaction, I think is very important;  part of the reason the shows in southern Europe are always so good!

There was an audience for this show though.  In fact, I'm sure an AMITer was there!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #153 on: September 25, 2013, 12:04:13 PM »

LE

Yes, there was an audience - about 250 I think,  but I agree that with all of the amazing shows on the tour, it was a missed opportunity!  Also I always find MK a bit nervous in small venues with TV cameras around him - he always plays much better and is more relaxed on tour, in front of a few thousand fans!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2013, 12:20:38 PM »
ok, thanks I missed that. But I also cannot imagine an audience being excited and loud, when they always stop playing as Guy mentioned... at the end, there was one of those TV-people giving them signs when to clap!!

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2013, 12:30:41 PM »
at the end, there was one of those TV-people giving them signs when to clap!!

LE

Yes, I remember that happening at Hay-on-Sky!   Nothing is spontaneous at these televised shows! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2013, 02:01:52 PM »
at the end, there was one of those TV-people giving them signs when to clap!!

LE

Yes, I remember that happening at Hay-on-Sky!   Nothing is spontaneous at these televised shows!

:lol

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
Anyone knows what happened to these session? Did they  ever get showed or has anybody asked Guy about it??

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »
Anyone knows what happened to these session? Did they  ever get showed or has anybody asked Guy about it??

Probably sitting beside the Madrid 2001 DVD tapes.

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2014, 07:52:20 PM »
That meaning that it was nixed by MK I guess?  Kind of amazing considering this was probably a BBC produced (and taped) recording and that it was publically known that it went down.

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2014, 02:23:25 PM »

Guy has been asked about it a few times. His last reply was: "No. As I mentioned on this forum a few weeks ago, it will not be broadcast...neither will it be released on DVD."

I guess we will never know why not.
This baker's boy from the West Country

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2014, 08:47:19 PM »
Presumably filmed at cost to the British tv license payer (ie me).

And yet MK lets every show be released on mp3, complete with mistakes, and sub-par promo shows with part time musicians? Utterly bizarre.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

LoveExpresso

« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2014, 08:51:50 PM »
It COULD be successful - and therefore it could work against his plan to stay LOOOW profile...  ::)

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2014, 11:20:03 PM »
It COULD be successful - and therefore it could work against his plan to stay LOOOW profile...  ::)

LE

Doubt it.  All the famous "crowd pullers" would be missing as they weren't part of the standard set.

Offlinecbellingham

• Guitar George
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2014, 01:42:44 PM »

Guy has been asked about it a few times. His last reply was: "No. As I mentioned on this forum a few weeks ago, it will not be broadcast...neither will it be released on DVD."

I guess we will never know why not.

I actually got in touch with the BBC in early November this year to enquire as to when this would be aired. The response I got was:

---

Thanks for getting in touch about the 2013 recording of a Mark Knopfler session.

We

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 44 queries.