Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Charlie Watts - RIP  (Read 7714 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Charlie Watts - RIP
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2021, 07:49:25 PM »
It's important to me that he mentioned Charlie Watts than if he hadn't written anything.

I remember waiting for a few words about Ennio Morricone. The silence surprised me.

Good point.

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2021, 07:49:48 PM »
'Yesterday marks another sad farewell, to Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones.

A great band so often has a great drummer who’s individuality and style play an essential part in creating the character, the magic recipe of the music. The Beatles had Ringo Starr, The Who had Keith Moon, The Band had Levon Helm, Led Zeppelin had John Bonham and the Stones had Charlie Watts.’ – MK

Well, Ringo is still alive and hopefully is for a long time which makes this list somewhat strange to me.. I know what MK tried to say but his way with words left him here I think.

LE

More strange to me is the fact that you can continue this list with like 100 other names. Why he chose only this bunch of people? Anyway, Mark probably spends as much time writing all these obituaries as it takes you to read one.

Probably these were on his mind at the time, like you say the list is most probably endless!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2021, 07:52:53 PM »
It's important to me that he mentioned Charlie Watts than if he hadn't written anything.

I remember waiting for a few words about Ennio Morricone. The silence surprised me.

Also Liam O'Flynn, but later he contributed to a film about Liam, which kind of made up for the omission.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2021, 07:56:43 PM »

Also Liam O'Flynn, but later he contributed to a film about Liam, which kind of made up for the omission.

Exactly.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2021, 07:57:16 PM »

A great band so often has a great drummer who’s individuality and style play an essential part in creating the character, the magic recipe of the music. The Beatles had Ringo Starr, The Who had Keith Moon, The Band had Levon Helm, Led Zeppelin had John Bonham and the Stones had Charlie Watts.’ – MK

Well, Ringo is still alive and hopefully is for a long time which makes this list somewhat strange to me.. I know what MK tried to say but his way with words left him here I think.

LE

More strange to me is the fact that you can continue this list with like 100 other names. Why he chose only this bunch of people? Anyway, Mark probably spends as much time writing all these obituaries as it takes you to read one.

Probably these were on his mind at the time, like you say the list is most probably endless!!

This was a list of drummers and Charlie was a drummer, that was why he chose these particular people.   Apart from Ringo, all have died and The Beatles are no more either!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2021, 08:08:23 PM »

Good point.

LE

Thank you LE:)
Clear as the day

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2021, 08:25:27 PM »

that's exactly why MK shouldn't write any of these, you always forget someone

are there other artists who constantly write obituaries on their websites ? I guess not many
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2021, 08:31:05 PM »
For example Peter Gabriel.
Clear as the day

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2021, 01:40:41 PM »
I was also suprised about no words for Liam O'Flynn at the time, also another person he played with died recently, Nanci Griffith, I don't believe he mentioned her, he doesn't have to make a public statement about everyone who dies, he might also make private comments to the family that we don't know about, and probably shouldn't know about. As for the drummers he mentions, so what, they were they ones that came to his mind at the time, we shouldn't read to much into everything he says or states!!
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2021, 01:43:49 PM »
That's true.
Clear as the day

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2021, 03:58:42 PM »
I find it more interesting when he comments on the death of people from different genres to hi, like George Michael or Prince.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2021, 07:11:04 PM »
I miss the times when musicians released music and that's all
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2021, 12:10:50 PM »
that list doesn't surprises me. they are just the most famous and greatest bands in rock history imho

you might not like them that's another story.
But in terms of celebrity, influence, reference, importance etc.. I think that Mark chose the exact right list of dummers/bands

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2021, 06:41:14 PM »
that list doesn't surprises me. they are just the most famous and greatest bands in rock history imho

you might not like them that's another story.
But in terms of celebrity, influence, reference, importance etc.. I think that Mark chose the exact right list of dummers/bands

Quite agree with you...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2021, 08:57:45 PM »

^^^^^Dire Straits had Pick Withers but I benched him, then I benched also the 2nd one^^^^^^

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 41 queries.