Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Private Dancer (Straits version)  (Read 25667 times)

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
Re: Private Dancer (Straits version)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
I am sure it was MKs humour - suggesting that JBs was better than his although his wasn't anything special - however he could be also suggesting that the song didn't warrant a solo and that it was only there simply because it was Dire Straits.

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 06:25:42 PM »
I think MK really meant that he didn't like the solo. I've never liked it, anyway. I guess the plan was that MK should play lead on the whole song, like on the rest of the LOG-songs, and the solo, of course. 

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 11:43:30 AM »
I think MK really meant that he didn't like the solo. I've never liked it, anyway. I guess the plan was that MK should play lead on the whole song, like on the rest of the LOG-songs, and the solo, of course. 

Me too, I mean he's joking about it, but it's clear that he really doesn't rate the solo. Let's face facts - it's a terrible solo. If they had hired some unknown session guitarist and he had played that they would have wiped the tape and picked up the phone. But because it's Jeff beck he can play any old crap and they will be going "Ooh Jeff, that was fantastic, just what the track needed."!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »
I've never though Jeff Beck was that good a player anyway!!
I've heard Tina say in an interview "You should hear Mark's original version, its so beautiful" so that says it all, I feel this track with Mark on it is the holy grail for Dire Straits fans, the one track that no-one seems to own or even heard.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 07:36:32 PM »
I don't think JB would be on many peoples list of top guitarists of all time. I don't think many would even consider him actually!

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 06:16:05 AM »
Just in:   on Google search:  Simon Sweetman  "Blog on the Tracks"   http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/blogs/blog-on-the-tracks/3294741/The-worst-guitar-solo-in-the-world

from the article
The worst guitar solo in the world
Last updated 09:06 05/02/2010SharePrint Text Size 77 comments
Late last year I asked you all to name ONE guitar solo that you placed above others. We got a pretty good list happening (even if most of you couldn't quite limit yourselves to just one selection).

I know Friday tends to be the easy-going, form-a-list sort of day. But after posting this yesterday (about Will Hodgkinson's book Guitar Man) I heard a snatch of the Tina Turner song Private Dancer. And that triggered a fairly recent memory...so, stick with me...

The song Private Dancer, as many of you will know, was written by Mark Knopfler - and when I interviewed him last year he told me the song was ruined due to "them drafting in Jeff Beck to play the world's second ugliest guitar solo".

I didn't include that bit in the finished piece but I liked the line. I assumed that there was probably some sour grapes from Knopfler there; he had missed out on playing on that track but most of Dire Straits worked on the Turner album.

Telling a friend about the Knopfler interview, a week later, he wondered why I didn't ask Mark what he thought the world's worst guitar solo was.

It would have derailed the interview - and, more important, I kinda liked not knowing. In a way I thought Mark Knopfler captured it by calling the solo the "second worst". It leaves room for a new worst to be decided. Or for the worst to be so bad that it is never replaced. Either way, it suggests the worst is unspeakably bad (you don't even want to know!) and it possibly is better not knowing. It also seems somehow crueller calling something the second worst. I think?

I figure you can take this phrase and make it your own. Calling something the "second worst" is basically the new worst thing. So, to use it in a sentence - and this is just an example off the top of my head - I might say that Midnight Youth is the second worst band currently working in New Zealand.

It leaves room...

Jeff Beck is all class - or very nearly all class - as far as I am concerned. But you know what? Listening to Private Dancer on the radio yesterday I realised that Mr Knopfler was quite valid in what he was saying. Beck's solo on that song is pretty disgusting; it doesn't go anywhere and when you finally recognise the, erm, Beck-isms, the solo is done. It suffers too for the recording techniques of the time. It doesn't stand up well in this day and age.

I'm not saying it's the second worst guitar I've heard - that would probably be Zakk Wylde playing with Ozzy Osbourne at the failure that was Rock 2 Wgtn a couple of years ago.

But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

Love Expresso

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 08:03:54 AM »
Bloggers. Lots of words. Leading to nothing. I like more the way Mr. Pottel does posting: Not more syllables than necessary..... ;D

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »
Great find Marie!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 11:13:40 PM »
yup, interesting read
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 10:18:17 AM »
Thank you Marie and also knopfling (on another thread).  I enjoyed reading!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 11:42:28 AM »
sorry read the other thread before seeing this (more thorough) one!!!

JBs solo is awful, and i`ve always been inclined to think Mark meant what he said, and that it wasn`t a humorous `He`s great` type remark!

Like many virtuosos, JB is an acquired taste better appreciated live than listened to on record.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 12:03:44 PM »
I can never understand 'cameo' roles on recordings. Did it really need JB to play on it? No. In fact some of the worst session artists could have made a better job. Was he there to help sell the record? Probably yes. The same thing happened on Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell 3 album. Brian May (one of my all time fav rock guitarists and one of the nicest people you could meet) was drafted in to play a few bars of his howling guitar on Bad For Good. It was unmistakably a Brian May sound but it didn't need him to play it. I could have made the same recording given the effects that were so obviously applied to it. it wasn't anything special other than it was Brian May. Why? Album sales spring to mind! Sad really but probably true.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »
I can never understand 'cameo' roles on recordings. Did it really need JB to play on it? No. In fact some of the worst session artists could have made a better job. Was he there to help sell the record? Probably yes. The same thing happened on Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell 3 album. Brian May (one of my all time fav rock guitarists and one of the nicest people you could meet) was drafted in to play a few bars of his howling guitar on Bad For Good. It was unmistakably a Brian May sound but it didn't need him to play it. I could have made the same recording given the effects that were so obviously applied to it. it wasn't anything special other than it was Brian May. Why? Album sales spring to mind! Sad really but probably true.

That said, MK has made some really great "cameo" appearances over the years.

I don't think there's any question that Jeff Beck is a brilliant guitarist. If you can, try to track down his collaboration with Les Paul "Good News". Great playing. And the "whammy bar" stuff he plays these days is pretty amazing really.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »
Mustang Sally on Buddy Guy's "Damn Right I've Got The blues"

I hope that Mark will never mention that one as an answer to "so what was the n
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:13:44 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.