Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK on Brexit  (Read 1265 times)

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
Re: MK on Brexit
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2024, 08:36:57 PM »
Got a link?
Unfortunately not. I read it when fellow member Stratmad published the photos of the interview, just before they got taken down by the mods. I'm sure he still has it, so try to contact him

Yes, I have it, but didn't scan it at the time (for copyright reasons). It was only the cover and my summary.

But in fact, MK painstakingly avoided stating his own political views throughout the interview!  He would always quote what someone else might think, what someone might feel or be afraid of, what some people might believe etc.
Excuse my directness, but have you ever read any interview he did? I mean, he's been doing that since he became famous!
Whenever he gets asked something about politics or religion he gives his own opinion, but never directly. He always makes it look as if it's other people saying what he thinks, in a somewhat vague way. But he always let's out enough for people to understand. So, when he says "ah, some people think it's not good", I know that's his personal opinion. It's just a clever communication tactic to avoid any backlash from the public.
Read all his interviews, especially the ones from 1980-1985, or watch the Mark Lawson interview, and you'll see what I mean.

Edit: Watch also the Hardtalk 2018 interview, that's a brilliant example of Mark's communication strategy
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 08:39:55 PM by rmarques821 »

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2024, 08:46:56 PM »
Got a link?
Unfortunately not. I read it when fellow member Stratmad published the photos of the interview, just before they got taken down by the mods. I'm sure he still has it, so try to contact him
Why not go with the flow and accept women at Garrick's, then?  :-)
Because it's a gentlemen's club?

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2024, 09:13:21 PM »
Yes, ok, but it's a club for artists and creative people, writers, musicians and the lot, who wanted to be different from the standard gentlemen's clubs from the outset (probably because they wouldn't be admitted to the "real" posh clubs in the first place? ;-))
From that point of view it might make sense to admit women, too, imho.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2024, 09:57:11 PM »
Got a link?

Yes, I have it, but didn't scan it at the time (for copyright reasons). It was only the cover and my summary.

But in fact, MK painstakingly avoided stating his own political views throughout the interview!  He would always quote what someone else might think, what someone might feel or be afraid of, what some people might believe etc.
Excuse my directness, but have you ever read any interview he did? I mean, he's been doing that since he became famous!
Whenever he gets asked something about politics or religion he gives his own opinion, but never directly. He always makes it look as if it's other people saying what he thinks, in a somewhat vague way. But he always let's out enough for people to understand. So, when he says "ah, some people think it's not good", I know that's his personal opinion. It's just a clever communication tactic to avoid any backlash from the public.
Read all his interviews, especially the ones from 1980-1985, or watch the Mark Lawson interview, and you'll see what I mean.

Edit: Watch also the Hardtalk
 2018 interview, that's a brilliant example of Mark's communication strategy

People will see what they want to see I guess. Like all the Americans pumping their fists to Born in the USA.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2024, 10:10:13 PM »

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2024, 11:11:06 PM »
Got a link?

Edit: Watch also the Hardtalk
 2018 interview, that's a brilliant example of Mark's communication strategy

People will see what they want to see I guess. Like all the Americans pumping their fists to Born in the USA.

Yes, that's precisely my point.
Of course he would rarely make a true, first-person political statement on any controversial topic. There have been a few very clear political messages, but those were hardly controversial statements or they came a long while afterwards (e.g. on Margaret Thatcher, Apartheid, the war in Ukraine).
Most artists with a world-wide audience simply cannot afford to voice their private political views, because that might mean losing part of their audience. So I agree, of course most artists will try and avoid backlash from the public, because that's the hand that is feeding them.

So it's up to us to read between the lines, as you say.
But in that particular interview, that isn't really possible either! His usual strategy of "you may say that, I can't possibly comment" shows up in a few places, but the rest of it is rather more philosophical than political.
They talk about a few extreme positions (e.g. railworkers on strike, some alleged connection between immigration and crime), but I can't see a coherent picture even in the examples that he uses. And it's very clear that he doesn't share those extreme views.

There is one short sequence when they are talking about people who complain about not getting the same cancer treatment as the King, not getting a dentist's appointment etc, and he says: "How long will it take until people will stop blaming all sorts of things for their own situation?!"
The other one is about the railworkers, where he says that a young doctor can't get to the hospital because of the strike, and he spent six years at university to study medicine, while those railworkers only learned to say "Mind the gap!" and are paid quite good money for that.
That's about as political as it gets in that interview.

The only thing he does make clear is that the ideas of the far left and those of the far right are becoming more and more similar, and that you always have to see both sides of any given problem, because there are no simple answers.

Another thing he does state clearly is that he is worried about our western democracies - that's what the interviewer asks him, and he says: "Yes."

I don't know what to think. Either it's due to the fact that these days it is really difficult to say what is left and what is right, or maybe, when you get to a certain age, you get a more balanced perspective.

Edit: Sorry about the long post... and thank you, Dusty, for the scans!!!  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 11:13:24 PM by stratmad »

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2024, 11:34:13 PM »
Yeah, it’s interesting. The bit about someone only learning to say “mind the gap” just doesn’t sound like MK at all. All through his career he has empathised with people from all walks of life in his songs and as someone else pointed out recently, he doesn’t punch down. So this seems very out of character for him.

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2024, 11:56:05 PM »
How come the mag article has been posted here while you have banned others?

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2024, 12:12:01 AM »
In a way, it does. But on the other hand, he's always been a believer in hard work as key to success (which has always struck me as being a very American way of thinking, btw.). So maybe there is a limit to his empathy when people demand something they haven't worked hard for, or when they use methods that cause problems for other people, in this case, the doctor and his patients.

Or maybe he was just peeved because his train was late... which gave him time to  write another song ("Before my train comes")  :lol

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2024, 12:23:13 AM »

This is a weekly TV guide with stock photos and a handful of quotes.

Guitarist was a cover story and full interview with a dedicated photo shoot into which a great deal of effort and expense were clearly applied.

To me they are not even remotely comparable but if you prefer we can implement a blanket ban on posting magazine articles.

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2024, 01:11:02 AM »

Guitarist was a cover story and full interview with a dedicated photo shoot into which a great deal of effort and expense were clearly applied.

To me they are not even remotely comparable but if you prefer we can implement a blanket ban on posting magazine articles.

They are both in mags which you have to pay for so in reality there is no difference.
I didn't ask for any kind of ban but was curious why some articles were allowed and others not.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2024, 06:54:27 AM »

They are both in mags which you have to pay for so in reality there is no difference.
I didn't ask for any kind of ban but was curious why some articles were allowed and others not.

Look.

This forum isn’t run by professionals.

It’s run by a small group of fans.

It was established by a small group of fans.

It is paid for by a small group of fans.

As we are not professionals we have to use our non-professional judgement. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we get it wrong.

At the end of the day it’s me that will have to stand up in court and state my defence if lawyers get involved in this, not you. And in this case I decided I could reasonably argue that no MK fan would have bought the Radio Times just for this tiny feature. I could not have made the same case for the Guitarist magazine for example, or Uncut.

So you can agree or disagree with the decisions I and the others mods make, but at the end of the day, give us a fucking break eh mate? We’re in deep shit financially if lawyers get involved, not you.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2024, 09:42:57 AM »
Dusty, you and the other mods are doing a great job.
Without your work, this whole forum wouldn't be possible, so thank you very much for all that!

Personally, I don't mind paying a few pounds for a quality magazine, if it is still available.
With the Radio Times, that doesn't seem to be the case, though, as they don't sell individual back issues, like GuitarPlayer or other quality mags.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2024, 11:16:19 PM »
Dusty, you and the other mods are doing a great job.
Without your work, this whole forum wouldn't be possible, so thank you very much for all that!

Personally, I don't mind paying a few pounds for a quality magazine, if it is still available.
With the Radio Times, that doesn't seem to be the case, though, as they don't sell individual back issues, like GuitarPlayer or other quality mags.

Thanks. We don’t do this for thanks but it’s appreciated anyway. We do it because we are fans the same as everyone else, and we are also human, and as such we (and really, I) make mistakes and inconsistencies the same as every other human. But hopefully people can understand that when this happens we (again, I) are doing our best, flaws and all.

I took wakeywakey’s comments above the wrong way, I have apologised via PM and I do so again here publicly.

Now, let’s get back to MK. :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.742 seconds with 39 queries.