Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The reason why no more sultans  (Read 17795 times)

Love Expresso

Re: The reason why no more sultans
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2013, 06:04:05 PM »
A complete MK solo set list? That would be a dream come true!  :wave

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
A complete MK solo set list? That would be a dream come true!  :wave

LE

:o :o  Nooooooo!  A complete DS set list would be a dream come true!

@ Pottel:  I don't think people are saying the show is "crap" without Sultans but IMO it is even better with it, so why settle for 2nd best and why disregard the majority who go to one concert.  You should only have to attend one show - any more is an indulgence.  :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »
Being a long time huge fan  (my first touch many years ago when my brother brought home a cassette, a tdk 90 minutes with Dire Straits and Communique'  :clap :clap :clap,  for me are still the BEST MK's albums it was 1980) at present a full collection of all albums: vinyls, cds, cds single, ep, ost, bootlegs and concerts starting from 1992  passing dates at RAH and HMH in ams at the last tour with Dylan  now expect to italian tour.......
I LOVE HIS MUSIC HIS PLAYING HIS WAY TO THINK MUCIC IS MY HEAVEN......
That being said, I observe that in this discussion: reason why no more sultans, is evident the great disappoint of all.
The band now is the best so far. The return of jim cox and the new entry of 'Ianto' are, with the two  MCs  and the rest, right performers  that permit Mark musically wide range on his own folk project. A band like this costs a bit of pennies and with  sales of albums that not are like the best years forces the management a tour of 4 months, day by day. 
Then the length of the tour that makes demands great effort, is normal for a person born 64 years ago (not forgetting the serious motorcycle accident) consequently happens that in some concert like Lubiana not been played SULTANS and SPEEDWAY, happen but for me it's going wrong: every fan should be respected regardless of you in Slovenian or England.
My impression is that a concert without Sultans of Swing is an uncomplete concert. Everybody knows that SOS is not a simply song but A GREAT TRIBUTE TO MUSIC, the great story of guitar George and Harry that we all love so much.
Perhaps not play it most definitely marks the end of an era and its make me much sadness.
Thats all

straitsway75

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
There is no doubt that the set requires less concentration and is less demanding physically without Sultans.

I'm not sure about this.

Mark can surely play Sultans "easily". Of course it demands concentration, but not more than telegraph.

So I don't thnik it is demanding physically to play sultans.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
There is no doubt that the set requires less concentration and is less demanding physically without Sultans.

I'm not sure about this.

Mark can surely play Sultans "easily". Of course it demands concentration, but not more than telegraph.

So I don't thnik it is demanding physically to play sultans.

I was really thinking more in terms of more demanding than the songs that replace it like Gator e.g. but I'm no musician! :)

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »
Besides the fact that SOS is probably one of the best songs in history its removal from the set also alters the set-dynamics, it was a fresh breath in the middle, without SOS I unfortunately tend to think that the middle-part of the set can easily be boring, slow and too laid-back.. And NO, neither sonny or GB contributes to the opposite..

Offlinecommunique

• Local Hero
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 04:07:05 AM »
Goodbye Sultans. The last ever performance, RAH June 1, 2013? You can even see Mark giving it a waive goodbye at 7:42. I believe he new at this point that it was going to be its final time performed live.
Here is the link of the final performance?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 10:53:26 AM »
Goodbye Sultans. The last ever performance, RAH June 1, 2013? You can even see Mark giving it a waive goodbye at 7:42. I believe he new at this point that it was going to be its final time performed live.

I don't think it's a special  "goodbye" waving. he does this many times, even at the end of telegraph road

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »

I was happy to be there ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »

I was happy to be there ;)

Dont rub it in  ;)

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 11:30:36 AM »

He did the wave at many concerst at the end of sultans......
I'm sure it will come back again but not in the way it used to be (every night)......

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2013, 03:48:20 PM »
Unibet or something should give some odds on whether SOS will actually appear again.. I would always place my money on "yes" just out of sheer hope..

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2013, 04:10:27 PM »
Unibet or something should give some odds on whether SOS will actually appear again.. I would always place my money on "yes" just out of sheer hope..

That's only because you'd get 1,000/1 on "yes!" ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.