Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: High praise album review - german  (Read 14419 times)

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
Re: High praise album review - german
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 09:14:17 PM »
But it's really funny. No negativity intended. Here goes the album "Down The Road Whatever", it's a masterpiece!

You know, Bob Dylan has an album called "Masterpieces": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpieces_(Bob_Dylan_album)

Don't you think it's a little bit too much of a word? I don't even talk about the album itself, just one single word.

Also, I like to be the most hated AMIT member of all times  :thumbsdown :lol

I think that was me during the Tracker tour when I was critical of his performances and setlists.  Don't worry, it can all turn around!  ;)

Oh is that so DMG??  ;D Well you might want tot sit down for this..

Joking of course.

It always amazes me that journalists review an album and don't even manage to get the title correct.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
Written by a fan obviously. Or wait...  :hmm

LE

"Stroke of genius" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Excuse me, I just can't stop laughing. I don't hate the album, I love it actually. But this review is like a morning radio show — everyone's happy, there's sunshine and love around, Mark Knopfler gives the world his stroke of genius, everything's amazing and the author is the happiest man in the world.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Too much praise is as good as the two words review using curse words.

OfflineKnopflerado

• Guitar George
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 09:17:33 PM »
It's only a typo - the album-title is written correctly twice within the article ...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 09:39:24 PM »
It's only a typo - the album-title is written correctly twice within the article ...

You quickly forget about this typo because later on you're getting dazzled by the intense overwhelming sun-like positivity of the reviewer and his review. In fact I can hardly type on my laptop, because I still can barely see after such an experienced and detailed analysis. Nothing and nobody can upset this guy, not even Chuck Norris.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 09:49:45 PM »
I can't read German but my understanding is that an artist can only have one masterpiece - their greatest ever work.

I'm looking forward to the album but does anyone expect it to be MK's masterpiece?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Love Expresso

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 09:50:04 PM »
There are some songs to come, together with the vinyl bonus tracks. But I guess this is already clear: This will bring no album feel to me. This jump between the styles makes me nervous and gives me not the relaxation I am looking for when listening to an MK album. I expect to skip a lot. It's also the first time that I do not look forward the other songs with the same enthusiasm. Scepticism sets in...

LE

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 09:53:57 PM »
I'm looking forward to the album but does anyone expect it to be MK's masterpiece?

Why not ?  :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 09:54:47 PM »

You quickly forget about this typo because later on you're getting dazzled by the intense overwhelming sun-like positivity of the reviewer and his review. In fact I can hardly type on my laptop, because I still can barely see after such an experienced and detailed analysis. Nothing and nobody can upset this guy, not even Chuck Norris.

With more joy I read positive reviews than whining. A different point of view than our own will always annoy us :)
Clear as the day

Love Expresso

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 10:00:50 PM »

Because he is in the last part of his career since around 2012 or so when it became pretty obvious that quantity was trying to replace quality.and he started to "clean up". We tend to close our eyes but it's as it is. Masterpiece? Sailing To Philadelphia. Many other great albums and many might love others more, but that one will it be - solo. Sad that generally it will be Brothers In Arms. History tells us.

LE
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:02:55 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »

Because he is in the last part of his career since around 2012 or so when it became pretty obvious that quantity was trying to replace quality.and he started to "clean up". We tend to close our eyes but it's as it is. Masterpiece? Sailing To Philadelphia. Many other great albums and many might love others more, but that one will it be - solo. Sad that generally it will be Brothers In Arms. History tells us.

LE

I'd like to ask Mark this question so much. He brags in pretty much every interview that he writes today more than he would ever write in his life, because clocks is ticking. I get that, but why one should diminish the quality only to gain so many songs? As one of our Russian songwriters said, "to write 1 good song you have to write 100 bad ones". And seems like Mark instead of carefully choosing the songs just puts on table everything he has.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 10:26:07 PM »

LE

I'd like to ask Mark this question so much. He brags in pretty much every interview that he writes today more than he would ever write in his life, because clocks is ticking. I get that, but why one should diminish the quality only to gain so many songs? As one of our Russian songwriters said, "to write 1 good song you have to write 100 bad ones". And seems like Mark instead of carefully choosing the songs just puts on table everything he has.

But then it’s just your opinion. I don’t see it that way, quite the opposite actually since I like very much almost every song from this album. Perhaps you’d have chosen other songs Mark had at his disposal if it was up to you to do so but he had other things in mind and whether you like it or not most people are happy with his choices.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 10:27:15 PM »

LE

Au Contraire, personally I think this album is full of quality (writing & music) and so far in I can't really find a bad song/tune...
This Album is a very personal album probably the most personal to date in fact.
I remember MK talking about how he had approx 80 songs/words on his laptop that he had that would one day spring to life - Think he spoke about that when I saw him at Chalke Valley..
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:29:19 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »

LE

But then it’s just your opinion. I don’t see it that way, quite the opposite actually since I like very much almost every song from this album. Perhaps you’d have chosen other songs Mark had at his disposal if it was up to you to do so but he had other things in mind and whether you like it or not most people are happy with his choices.

+1  :thumbsup :wave
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »

LE

:thumbsup
Clear as the day

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 10:44:36 PM »

So you literally like everything? Every song? How could it be? I feel very happy for you, because I can't say so about all the new ones.

I consider myself a pretty hardcore fan in that respect, I even teach Mark's songs on YouTube, because I think he has almost no skippers, and it's the only artist you can actually analyse most of his songs. Not Paul Simon, not Paul McCartney, not even Bob Dylan. But for some songs from the new album I don't even know what to analyse and what to say, I'm stunned. It's the kind of songs you can ask Mark "Do you have something else?" as he used to joke in interviews. But now there's no time for jokes it seems. It gets serious.

I know it's only my opinion, but if the song's purpose is pure entertainment (like Nobody Does That or Trapper Man) I can't seriously call it a great song. Yes, it attracts people and good for radio maybe, but is it what we love MK for? As LE said, would you recommend Trapper Man to a friend to showcase Mark's outstanding songwriting craft? I'm certainly not going to do that.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 42 queries.