Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: This tour Vs Last Tour  (Read 5212 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
This tour Vs Last Tour
« on: May 30, 2019, 01:14:58 PM »
This tour versus last tour and why is this tour so much better?  Well, the setlist is refreshing for a start although the diminishing list of tracks has included the climax of the show.  So it isn't as good as it could be, however his playing and concentration levels are much higher, and it's surely not because he looks book smart wearing his glasses!

I think Mark has found a set he is comfortable with and allows him to play well and keep his concentration level high for the duration of the entire show.  There aren't any long solos and he has a nice rest in the middle with a seat too!  Maybe he could put his feet up?  Too far. 

This setlist without songs like Sultans and TR is far less demanding guitar-wise and allows him to give us a top quality show even if it doesn't have a proper climax.  I still think it misses something without TR but if it allows Mark to give us a top quality show then c'est la vie.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

Re: This tour Vs Last Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »
I agree on all points.

I miss a couple of 'party songs', though. It's a little too low-key.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 01:55:27 PM »
Last tour was a replica of the previous tour, which already was quite similar than the previous, with some songs of Tracker... He took some time to notice and bring two new additions like "Your latest trick" or "On every street" to refresh it, but the structure of the 2015 tour was still a copy of the 2013 one.

In this new tour he decided to change the structure and add some surprises like "Once upon a time", "Heart full of holes" and "Silvertown" bring back some oldies like "Money" and "Bore with Bonaparte". Those changes makes it far interesting, at least to me.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 02:10:02 PM »
Still the structure features the underbelly halfway in the show.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 07:09:37 PM »
It might be a great set if you attend it but on paper and listening to recordings it's absolutely boring and dull. That whole middle part is really lullaby time. I also miss Hill Farmer's Blues which was the first high point usually. So I agree, no climax, nothing to wait for. To be honest, the sensation of digging out OUATITW is bigger than the version itself. It was cool the first two nights to realize that he really did it but stylistically, it's sounding the same as I Dug Up A Diamond in 2013.
I watched some early Speedways and all made me cringe more or less most of the time.

But of course I am fully aware of all the great reviews and reactions,  without any exception absolutely positive on all channels. So it might be true that the set is absolutely not important anymore.

LE
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:26:04 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 07:23:54 PM »
It might be a great set if you attend it but on paper and listening to recordings it's absolutely boring and dull. That whole middle part is really lullaby time. I also miss Hill Farmer's Blues which was the first high point usually. So I agree, no climax, nothing to wait for. To be honest, the sensation of digging out OUATITW is bigger than the version itself. It was cool the first two nights to realize that he really did it but stylistically, it's sounding the same as I Dug Up A Diamond in 2013.
I watched some early Speedways and all made me cringe more or less most of the time.

But of course I am fully aware of all the great reviews and reactions,  without any acception absolutely positive on all channels. So it might be true that the set is absolutely not important anymore.

LE

You're quite correct, LE, it is one of those occasions when you had to be there to appreciate the whole spectacle.   I loved every minute of my two concerts and can't wait for the next in Verona.     
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 07:27:50 PM »

But of course I am fully aware of all the great reviews and reactions,  without any exception absolutely positive on all channels. So it might be true that the set is absolutely not important anymore.

LE

Agree on HFB, miss that one a lot.. But like I have said, I don't think we'll see it as it doesn't fit the brass...
But on the other hand, is MK we are there to see, right? I really hope HFB and also TR will be back in the set. but losing hope for each concert with the same set... our chance is that the week-long break starting tomorrow is the time for some more reharsal of, so far, songs not featured..

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 07:41:34 PM »

LE

Agree on HFB, miss that one a lot.. But like I have said, I don't think we'll see it as it doesn't fit the brass...
But on the other hand, is MK we are there to see, right? I really hope HFB and also TR will be back in the set. but losing hope for each concert with the same set... our chance is that the week-long break starting tomorrow is the time for some more reharsal of, so far, songs not featured..

Actually, I'm glad HFB isn't in the set list.  It has been played to death in the last few tours and not very well in some cases.   It's time to give it a rest.   MFN is the new TR!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:44:07 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »

LE

As usual I can't help but agree with most of what you say, even if it is pretty harsh and over critical.  I don't miss HFB but the set does drag in the middle when listening to recordings, less so at the show.  Sometimes I was wishing he'd just not play YLT at all and get on with the show, or thinking the novelty of the new Postcards arrangement has worn paper thin now.  However it's the quality of the performance that holds the interest now he's up and running.

hunter

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 07:51:57 PM »

LE

As usual I can't help but agree with most of what you say, even if it is pretty harsh and over critical.  I don't miss HFB but the set does drag in the middle when listening to recordings, less so at the show.  Sometimes I was wishing he'd just not play YLT at all and get on with the show, or thinking the novelty of the new Postcards arrangement has worn paper thin now.  However it's the quality of the performance that holds the interest now he's up and running.

Re Paraguay, remember that you write this from the perspective of a multiple concert goer/listener.

Love Expresso

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 09:56:15 PM »

LE

I dared to let the harshness in it at proof reading and hoped that it was obvious that I write as a person who has NOT attended a show from this tour. I tried to illustrate what my impression was from the outside so to say.
About Hill Farmer,  it's not that I wanted that song back exactly,  it's more about its role in the set with that once awesome solo play out. The first high point in the set it was. Now there is not such thing, at least in terms of guitar playing. That was what I was trying to say.
I appreciate your post very much dmg, thanks a lot!  :wave

LE
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:02:14 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 10:08:34 PM »

LE

I dared to let the harshness in it at proof reading and hoped that it was obvious that I write as a person who has NOT attended a show from this tour. I tried to illustrate what my impression was from the outside so to say.
About Hill Farmer,  it's not that I wanted that song back exactly,  it's more about its role in the set with that once awesome solo play out. The first high point in the set it was. Now there is not such thing, at least in terms of guitar playing. That was what I was trying to say.
I appreciate your post very much dmg, thanks a lot!  :wave

LE

I always appreciate your honesty in your posts; it's easy to say everything is wonderful.

I think that the reason the shows are such high quality are exactly due to the lack of solos.  Last tour he had to think (or worry) about playing HFB, Sultans and TR and it really showed in terms of his concentration at times.  This tour is much better in that respect.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:12:49 PM by dmg »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 10:32:50 PM »

LE

Actually, I'm glad HFB isn't in the set list.  It has been played to death in the last few tours and not very well in some cases.   It's time to give it a rest.   MFN is the new TR!

Same for me and I am a huge fan of HFB.

And I really like this version of OUATITW, for years I I could not stand the Alchemy version with that over extending and dull ending so here back to basic, little reggae feel and good timing.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 10:35:54 PM »
all was write is right BUT the fact is that no What it is/Sultans of Swing no Hill farmer no Telegraph road and no OSAAT in set let me unsatisfied sorry. now Im listening Lockerbie 1990 this is what he could do tomorrow  WIDE GREAT MARK

Offlinesmithy15493

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 02:39:36 PM »
Even without Sultans and TR, his soloing was a plenty so he's definitely giving his guitar chops a good working out, does a guitar solo need to be more than 2-3 minutes anyway? ;D Agree with the set dragging in the middle, Bacon Roll was a nice surprise being better than the studio version, but after that it was like 'are we at postcards yet?'

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 46 queries.